Mavic 2 Pro distortion issues possible fix 2?
12Next >
6712 50 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a new vid with a possible fix for the Mavic 2 Pro distortion issue!
It’s interesting as he covers the photo and video side of the lens distortion issue.

Shout out to Billy from Billy Kyle on YouTube!

Thanks and happy flying!

2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. To clarify this concern, the video captured in the DLOG-M and HLG color modes is uniformly encoded using 10bits H.265 for greater post-processing space. But 10bits video cannot complete distortion correction in the aircraft directly, it needs to be post-processed.There is much software that supports distortion correction, therefore, we recommend you to solve it by themselves. If users want an image that is not distorted too much, recommend users use the normal color mode for video shooting. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-8
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-8 03:40
Our apologies for the inconvenience. To clarify this concern, the video captured in the DLOG-M and HLG color modes is uniformly encoded using 10bits H.265 for greater post-processing space. But 10bits video cannot complete distortion correction in the aircraft directly, it needs to be post-processed.There is much software that supports distortion correction, therefore, we recommend you to solve it by themselves. If users want an image that is not distorted too much, recommend users use the normal color mode for video shooting. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi,

Will this eventually get a software/firmware fix?

Thanks!
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Mini-G Posted at 2018-9-8 04:08
Hi,

Will this eventually get a software/firmware fix?

Hi. In regards to your concern, distortion is not an issue on Mavic 2. It's normal. I suggest you use editing software to correct the effect or distortion to your video or image. Thank you.
2018-9-8
Use props
czaku
lvl.1
Flight distance : 506053 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Am I entitled to return my Mavic 2 Pro if I am unsatisfied with your official resolution of this serious problem? This is not a toy, it is an expensive device that should be not having such issues. Or are you ok with providine me some correction software free of charge?
2018-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

czaku Posted at 2018-9-10 03:13
Am I entitled to return my Mavic 2 Pro if I am unsatisfied with your official resolution of this serious problem? This is not a toy, it is an expensive device that should be not having such issues. Or are you ok with providine me some correction software free of charge?

Why is it an issue?

Just like the Inspires it ONLY appears on video footage that 100% MUST be post processed.  And the fix is nothing more arduous than spending 2 seconds dropping a correction effect onto the timeline.

It doesn't occur on any footage output thats ready to go without processing.  So if you're shooting log you already need software, you already need post processing and there are already free correction effects out there.
2018-9-10
Use props
Rieder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1056 ft
Denmark

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-10 03:22
Why is it an issue?

Just like the Inspires it ONLY appears on video footage that 100% MUST be post processed.  And the fix is nothing more arduous than spending 2 seconds dropping a correction effect onto the timeline.

The problem is that even a correction in ie. Premiere Pro doesn't remove the barrel distortion 100%. So it's not really a fix, is it?
2018-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Rieder Posted at 2018-9-10 03:40
The problem is that even a correction in ie. Premiere Pro doesn't remove the barrel distortion 100%. So it's not really a fix, is it?

The film poets one does.  They took the DJI correction from the normal profile.
So yes its a fix.  It works in exactly the same way as the drone does for non log footage.
2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-10 03:50
The film poets one does.  They took the DJI correction from the normal profile.
So yes its a fix.  It works in exactly the same way as the drone does for non log footage.

Sorry to say it's NOT a fix, 80% fix not more You can see in screenshot
2018-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thats because you're following his butchered fix.  He doesnt really have a clue.

The film poets one took the exact correction specs from the "None" profile.  And that works.  Use that one and the problem goes away.
2018-9-10
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really suprised that this is deemed acceptable and that many people are happy to resolve the issue in processing.
2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 2018-9-10 04:59
Really suprised that this is deemed acceptable and that many people are happy to resolve the issue in processing.

Because its only an issue in a mode where 100% of footage requires mandatory post processing!

Im really surprised people deem it unacceptable to spend 2 seconds in post processing when they're already going to be spending far longer in that software grading and sharpening their footage in the first place.
I just tested it in premiere - its 2 mouse clicks and a drag half way across the screen.  Time taken almost nothing.
2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-10 04:32
Thats because you're following his butchered fix.  He doesnt really have a clue.

The film poets one took the exact correction specs from the "None" profile.  And that works.  Use that one and the problem goes away.

You didn't provided  ANY PROOF or link so far!

P.S How much DJI paying you?
2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Nearly 1,5K saw thread Will DJI fix Mavic 2 Pro camera?

So far just HALF-DECENT solutions
2018-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-10 05:13
You didn't provided  ANY PROOF or link so far!

P.S How much DJI paying you?

Just search one of the 20 threads on here where its listed and use it.
It works.
Far better using a profile correctly taken from the official DJI correction profile than something by a guy that doesnt understand how optics work then claiming it doesnt work properly (strange that...).

Drag from effects menu into timeline.  Problem solved.  Seconds work at most.

2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

I did, didn't find any decent one just half-decent like your posts
2018-9-10
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Still hoping for a firmware patch! If people keep complying hopefully someone will listen.
Otherwise maybe there should be a disclaimer?
2018-9-10
Use props
Ariel Foto
lvl.2
United States

RE: Mavic 2 Pro distortion issues possible fix 2?

The film poets one took the exact correction specs from the "None" profile.  And that works.  Use that one and the problem goes away.

Not sure it’s accurate to say they took the exact correction specs.  From what I saw in their video, the Film Poets shot static footage of imagery containing straight lines (brick wall, street grids 90° from overhead, etc).  Without moving the camera, they first used Normal color mode with M2P-onboard distortion correction, and then Dlog-M with no lens correction.  Then they made their best guess to apply multi-point correction and reverse-engineer what the onboard distortion correction curves might be.  At the end of their video, they compare their Normal mode and corrected Dlog-M and declare that they “match exactly”—but to me they appeared to be quite different, with much more curvature and distortion at the edges in their corrected image than the DJI Normal footage (watch the horizon).

Don’t get me wrong: what Film Poets did is enormously helpful in the interim.  There is no question that it makes a huge improvement, and they are sharing their hard work for free!  But there is no substitute for a properly engineered, manufacturer-provided lens distortion profile.

DJI or Hasselblad should release a set of lens profiles to match the various sensor/size modes (4K full, 4K HQ cropped, etc, etc) — and of course a Dlog-M Look-Up Table for color, which DJI has promised (without a timeframe).  As customers, we must be vocal about this need.
2018-9-10
Use props
HerrMittmann
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2362441 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-8 13:01
Hi. In regards to your concern, distortion is not an issue on Mavic 2. It's normal. I suggest you use editing software to correct the effect or distortion to your video or image. Thank you.

In all respects:
As a customer, I almost feel offended by such a statement.

By looking at how many people complain about this not minor amount of distortion, this should be categorized as a very serious issue. Especially since the Hasselblad lens is marketed as somewhat premium.

As a fix I would love to have at least an option to film in h.264 and 8-bit or in other words: a "classic" d-log. According to the support, the Mavic should be able to correct it since 10-bit seems to be the issue.
2018-9-10
Use props
VectorTwin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505978 ft
Bulgaria

Hello form me, just for info - every single lens have distortion - less or more, in Mavic 2 Pro - more. It is really easy to fix in post. I prefer lot of other option to be improved that lens distortion ... for example - "Precision landing" and so on.
2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

VectorTwin Posted at 2018-9-10 21:15
Hello form me, just for info - every single lens have distortion - less or more, in Mavic 2 Pro - more. It is really easy to fix in post. I prefer lot of other option to be improved that lens distortion ... for example - "Precision landing" and so on.

Please share with as some samples with fixed distortion as I didn't saw so far REALY fixed distortion. In video above it is disaster, hard to find straight horizontal line. I doubt they have been painted that way.....
I prefer correct image over precision landing, as I always hand-landing my Mavic
2018-9-11
Use props
0Kajuna0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

I'm starting to think this is not much of a problem. Mavic 1 suffered from excessive image processing for professional use (noise reduction, sharpening). Now we're complaining that the Pro video modes of the Pro, which require you to post-process them to make the color usable, are not pre-processed enough?

That's fine. I think DJI should provide lens profiles, though.
2018-9-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

0Kajuna0 Posted at 2018-9-11 00:23
I'm starting to think this is not much of a problem. Mavic 1 suffered from excessive image processing for professional use (noise reduction, sharpening). Now we're complaining that the Pro video modes of the Pro, which require you to post-process them to make the color usable, are not pre-processed enough?

That's fine. I think DJI should provide lens profiles, though.

Yes I think so!

2018-9-11
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I have a suggestion for the engineers... clean up your code so there is enough processing space to allow a distortion fix with the current processor because of sloppy coding.

Barrel distortion is normal, the root cause of why the correction isn't being accomplished in dlog is too much processing overhead. Fix that...

2018-9-11
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

There is not enough correction to make a reveal shot look normal. This distortion issue is serious.

The horrible “fix” from DJI is complete BS. I don’t use Premier. I don’t use FCPX. I use LumaFusion. I do not find correcting this issue “easy” by any means.

I have yet to see a proper fix (ie 100% actual fix) to this terminal issue. Live view shows level somehow.
2018-9-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-9-11 18:27
There is not enough correction to make a reveal shot look normal. This distortion issue is serious.

The horrible “fix” from DJI is complete BS. I don’t use Premier. I don’t use FCPX. I use LumaFusion. I do not find correcting this issue “easy” by any means.

Well hope they are listening in on all this feedback
2018-9-11
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

For software that doesn't have an easy way to make any lens correction (certainly not all do), but does have the ability to colour correct (99% of them), the lack of an easy, accurate way to correct it is a problem.

Post processing of colour adds to the computer workload, but when you add the extra overhead of the lens correction, then everything runs that much slower in your editing software of choice. Using 4k footage? Slower still.

So if DJI's attitude is: don't use D-Log unless you want to a) buy new editing software and possibly b) upgrade your computer, then that's a little disappointing.

Plus, the H3 chip should be more than up to the job, it should theoretically be doing less work in D-Log than it does with the other colour profiles, as that's more directly 'off the sensor'; so it's the choice to go to H.265 that's possibly the issue, as that does require more processing overhead. So, offer an H.264 option as well, include the correction and people can make the choice.

Or DJI could make the process as painless as possible by releasing the specs for the correction to a site like 'Lensfun', which many programs use as the database to apply correction for a particular camera/lens, as guessing whether it's a single or a double point correction (3rd or 5th order polynomial) is just going to produce sub-par results.
2018-9-12
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

If you didn't plan on doing any post processing:

• why are you shooting in Log?
• why didn't you just buy a tello?
• why are are you shooting in 4k if you computer is running Windows 98? (get yourself a flipcam)

No technology is perfect and if you have a good example of current tech that is, please do enlighten me.  We as a community crave new tech at a blistering pace and then whine when there are hiccups.  If the thing was falling from the sky, yes, complain.  If your complaints are to threaten to return a product when your cries aren't heard ASAP, then you should wait a year on all tech releases and spare us the drama.
Before you call me a DJI fanboy, check my other posts.  I bought the Ronin S did not like the completeness of the product, I returned it. (even offered to sell it at cost to someone who wanted it ASAP). I am not to happy about the gimbal guard as it prones to scratch the camera, I said my piece about it, thanks to a forum poster, found that a little felt tape makes a quick fix.

Have a good day everyone!
2018-9-12
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FlySD Posted at 2018-9-12 07:47
If you didn't plan on doing any post processing:

• why are you shooting in Log?

Actually, no one said that they didn't plan to do *any* post processing, what they'd like to do is less. One less unnecessary thing that just adds time and computer processing effort. DJI *know* people need to correct the distortion, so why not do it for them?

Hey, why not make them have to do even more, and have the Mavic 2 produce the video upside down, or flipped left/right? It's not much effort to flip it the correct way around, right?

Are *you* using WIndows 98 to edit with? Certainly no one else is, so that's a weird thing to even bring up.

I'm using dual 6 core 3.46Ghz CPUs and 64GB of RAM with a GTX 1070 Ti which is not top of the line, but good enough to edit with and I still don't want to have to do unneccessary tasks even if they are drag'n'drop.

Why are people shooting in D-Log? Because they want as much control over as good an image as they can get. DJI is not (currently) giving them that. Fingers crossed they optimise things and can add it (sooner rather than) later. Don't ask = won't get.

As a purely practical matter, the image loses quality when the distortion is processed outside the camera, because you are undistorting something that's already been compressed and shrunk down to fit the final frame size. If the correction is done first, from the larger area of the full sensor size (4096 wide, not 3840), then the result will be better and you can't fault people for *wanting* the best, otherwise: why not just stick with a Mavic 1 and shoot everything on Auto?

It's why people changed the lenses in their GoPros to remove the distortion instead of correcting it in software: the results are a lot better.
2018-9-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Actually the way distortion correction is applied in-camera its identical to how software works.  So you get EXACTLY the same effect.

A 2 second drag and drop fix and zero extra render time isnt exactly an issue.  

If people want as much control over the image as possible it should have as little as possible done to it, that includs perspective stretching and cropping of an image.
2018-9-12
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-12 11:05
Actually the way distortion correction is applied in-camera its identical to how software works.  So you get EXACTLY the same effect.

A 2 second drag and drop fix and zero extra render time isnt exactly an issue.  

Every single one one of those claims is just plain wrong.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"

If it was correct, then a "zero extra render time" could be done instantly inside the camera, so why isn't it?

"perspective stretching and cropping"? Are you talking about photos, that you think people shouldn't alter? You do know this is about video, right?

I'm confused. People have *full* control to do...nothing to the image?

They probably shouldn't combine multiple exposures into HDR images then, so that's something else that can be removed, because of ....reasons?
2018-9-12
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-10 05:11
Because its only an issue in a mode where 100% of footage requires mandatory post processing!

Im really surprised people deem it unacceptable to spend 2 seconds in post processing when they're already going to be spending far longer in that software grading and sharpening their footage in the first place.

Doesn't make it right though for a product to be shipped containing a fault like this with no response to say it will be fixed soon.
2018-9-14
Use props
fans481a4c44
New

@DJI PALADIN,

You do realize that this is not proper to the codec but the ability of the drone to do it? GH5 is using the same codec and fixes the distortion like butter. Now you have a real issue in your hand, correcting distortion in post is a HUGE pain in the a**. It's too ressources intensive on the computer, DJI HAS to do something about it, it's mandatory.
2018-9-17
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>

fans481a4c44 Posted at 2018-9-17 00:32
@DJI PALADIN,

You do realize that this is not proper to the codec but the ability of the drone to do it? GH5 is using the same codec and fixes the distortion like butter. Now you have a real issue in your hand, correcting distortion in post is a HUGE pain in the a**. It's too ressources intensive on the computer, DJI HAS to do something about it, it's mandatory.

"distortion is not an issue on Mavic 2. It's normal"

So says DJI...

Can't imagine that ever being said on a professional shooting sound stage while using any of today's 10bit imaging technology devices!?

You'd be out of a job in minutes!

Somebody better get real!
2018-9-17
Use props
markfrank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100331 ft
France

Ariel Foto Posted at 2018-9-10 06:20
Not sure it’s accurate to say they took the exact correction specs.  From what I saw in their video, the Film Poets shot static footage of imagery containing straight lines (brick wall, street grids 90° from overhead, etc).  Without moving the camera, they first used Normal color mode with M2P-onboard distortion correction, and then Dlog-M with no lens correction.  Then they made their best guess to apply multi-point correction and reverse-engineer what the onboard distortion correction curves might be.  At the end of their video, they compare their Normal mode and corrected Dlog-M and declare that they “match exactly”—but to me they appeared to be quite different, with much more curvature and distortion at the edges in their corrected image than the DJI Normal footage (watch the horizon).

Don’t get me wrong: what Film Poets did is enormously helpful in the interim.  There is no question that it makes a huge improvement, and they are sharing their hard work for free!  But there is no substitute for a properly engineered, manufacturer-provided lens distortion profile.

Youre perfectly right
as a Hasselblad photo camera user, iI have all Hasselblad lenses profiles in PHOCUS to apply exact distorsion correction? Metadata gives PHOCUS F-stop, focals with Zoom lenses, etc
As a Mavic 2 pro Hasselblad user, I want the perfect profile for Hasselblad Mavic lens, usable in main editing softwares
Idem for LUT. Its just professional need.
PS sorry for my english, I'm french!
2018-9-17
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

markfrank Posted at 2018-9-17 04:12
Youre perfectly right
as a Hasselblad photo camera user, iI have all Hasselblad lenses profiles in PHOCUS to apply exact distorsion correction? Metadata gives PHOCUS F-stop, focals with Zoom lenses, etc
As a Mavic 2 pro Hasselblad user, I want the perfect profile for Hasselblad Mavic lens, usable in main editing softwares

Hasselblad is just cheep gimmick, I asked Husselblad support regarding lens correction profile and they told me politely to p i s s off and pointed DJI support direction. I think that is camera defect
2018-9-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The film poets one took the exact correction specs from the "None" profile.  And that works.  Use that one and the problem goes away.

See the Bigger Picture ... here.   

DJI should have provided:
1) Upfront (to potential buyers) a Warning of need to fix distortion in processing
2) LUT / Plugin for most common video processing programs that fixes distortion

Customers should not of had to figure out there is a distortion problem.
Nor should customers have to go hunting for way to fix distortion problem.
Nor should customers have to try different fixes to find one that works.

2018-9-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

fans481a4c44 Posted at 2018-9-17 00:32
@DJI PALADIN,

You do realize that this is not proper to the codec but the ability of the drone to do it? GH5 is using the same codec and fixes the distortion like butter. Now you have a real issue in your hand, correcting distortion in post is a HUGE pain in the a**. It's too ressources intensive on the computer, DJI HAS to do something about it, it's mandatory.

It takes 2 seconds to correct in post and adds nothing to render time.
2018-9-17
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

geoffz Posted at 2018-9-17 02:11
"distortion is not an issue on Mavic 2. It's normal"

So says DJI...

Yes! I agree!
2018-9-17