Lost connection to M2Z early when using Goggles RE
4334 37 2018-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

I know this has been a topic others have raised, just wanted to share my experience.

Since I got my M2Z and RE Goggles just over a week ago I have tried the Goggles without any issues flying shorter distances. The M2Z I have flown long distances and Occusync works perfect when flying with just the drone. I have the Goggles set so the gimbal is pointing to what I look at. I have an iPhone 8 with DJI Go4 (4.3.1), updated firmware on AC, RC and RE.

Today I wanted to see how far I could fly with RE Goggles before losing signal, and I became very disappointed it was not very far.

I decided to fly a path I have flown with the M2Z several times before at 400 ft, with little obstruction/interference and between 14-18 satellites locked all the time. And the antennas were correctly aimed etc.

After only 1758ft/535 meters I totally lost signal, the AC did not respond to anything I did on the RC, even tried to turn off the Goggles to see if I could regain control, but nothing worked. Since I had a good RTH set, the drone did what it was supposed to and came home.

When it landed I restarted the drone, took off again, this time without the Goggles and flew the same path at the same height and without any problems I flew 4208 ft from home point and still having full connectivity before deciding to head back.

Conclusion is the Goggles are very limited in distance. They work great when nearby and very responsive to head movement etc. But hopefully DJI can do something to improve distance.

I should also mention I did not have any additional antennas attached, but I think they are only to be used when not connected to DJI drones?

2018-9-8
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

Been commonly reported..there’s a couple threads on it...try looking over here.. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D540%26typeid%3D540
2018-9-8
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
United States

Thanks.
Do you think the antenna is going to help since that's for analog/non DJI systems? I will try of course.
2018-9-8
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
United States

Added the antenna to the Goggles and it at least doubled the range instantly, never reached the point when it cut off, but at least 4000ft. So that was the trick.  
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Goggles RE? Let see if this work Thank you.
2018-9-8
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-8 10:08
Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Goggles RE? Let see if this work Thank you.

Thanks Natalia, but with the antenna attached all looks fine. When I read the manual I believed the antenna was only for non-DJI devices. But with it attached problems solved.
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Rblomqvist Posted at 2018-9-8 10:19
Thanks Natalia, but with the antenna attached all looks fine. When I read the manual I believed the antenna was only for non-DJI devices. But with it attached problems solved.

Hi, Awesome! That's good to know that it's now working. Should you have any further concerns don't hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2018-9-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rblomqvist Posted at 2018-9-8 10:19
Thanks Natalia, but with the antenna attached all looks fine. When I read the manual I believed the antenna was only for non-DJI devices. But with it attached problems solved.

As Dennis  pointed out in the link to our thread he attached above:  

DJI pointed this out to us based on the Engineers and updated this information to the Goggles FW post

I have not been able to try it yet because of an issue with my camera gimbal
Rich

Capture.JPG
2018-9-8
Use props
JK JK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652552 ft
Greece

Using of the antenna is not needed solution. The issue is the RE blocks signal between the RC and the bird. If the RE are off then there are no signal losts.
2018-9-17
Use props
Mavical
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2206696 ft

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-8 15:38
Hi, Awesome! That's good to know that it's now working. Should you have any further concerns don't hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

Please add me to your list on this issue Natalia…  

I am also running the latest firmware on my Mavic 2 Pro & RE Goggles, they connect fine, however after flying just 200 feet away from the Goggles the connection drops completely.  

Can you please either offer a step by step set of instructions on how to fix it, or let us know if this is indeed a known issue that will be addressed down the road with a firmware update by DJI.

Thanks
2018-9-22
Use props
YorkshirePaul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1315404 ft
United Kingdom

As per other threads I have this issue too - has anyone spoken with DJI support?
Do they do any other than the DJI reps on here who just ask you to upgrade firmware and the disappear.?
2018-9-23
Use props
Mavical
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2206696 ft

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-8 10:08

Natalia,

I am running the very latest application versions and device's firmware:

Mavic 2 Pro
- Application version: DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.2 / Firmware: V01.00.0000

DJI Goggles RE
- DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 / Firmware: V01.00.0600

To recap the issue that many of us on this forum are experiencing, the Goggles RE edition disconnect from the Mavic 2 Pro after barley a few hundred feet away. I have refreshed at least 3 times and still have the same poor distance results.

Can you please officially tell us if this is a known issue and that DJI is working in it… or if we should return our Goggles for replacements? Please advise.

Thank you.
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Mavical Posted at 2018-9-26 17:04
Natalia,

I am running the very latest application versions and device's firmware:

I see. I already coordinate this concern to our R&D department for clarification. I will update you once I have the update. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2018-9-27
Use props
MickTabs
lvl.1
Australia

please update me too as i have the same issue with the mavic 2 and the goggles RE its such a shame this is an issue as they are great apart from this.  
2018-9-29
Use props
fans9c9010a5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174865 ft
United States

Same here.  I have Mavic 2 Pro and RE goggles. Everything is on the latest firmware.  I'm unable to fly more than 200 feet. Signal is horrible with the goggles.
2018-10-27
Use props
Rfern
lvl.4
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

Also the same here as well. Zoom and Goggles Re ARE NOT WORKING. As soon as the goggles are powered the signal is weak and can’t fly more than 500ft before signal is lost. Turn the goggles off and everything is fine. Please fix this DJI as they were not cheap!!! Put me on the notify list!!!
2018-10-29
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was going to buy RE goggles today and was looking on here for some information. So glad I took a look before I bought RE goggles. I think I will wait to see if DJI can fix this issue.
2018-11-26
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
United States

Rfern Posted at 10-29 07:27
Also the same here as well. Zoom and Goggles Re ARE NOT WORKING. As soon as the goggles are powered the signal is weak and can’t fly more than 500ft before signal is lost. Turn the goggles off and everything is fine. Please fix this DJI as they were not cheap!!! Put me on the notify list!!!

Rfern, have you tried using the antenna? For me it helped a lot and I have flied over 4000ft and still good connection. Without the antenna, I had much shorter range too.
2018-11-27
Use props
mavicproplatsww
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1054455 ft
United States

Got the RE goggles for Christmas and have the same loss of connection with my Mavic 2. Please include me on any solutions to this very disturbing problem.
2019-1-7
Use props
djiuser_Q4Hc6DWhAHwO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20843 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-27 13:51
I see. I already coordinate this concern to our R&D department for clarification. I will update you once I have the update. Thank you for your kind understanding.

DJI Natalia -  it's been over 3 months now , could we ALL please have an official response from DJI in regard to this matter & the missing , greyed out 'Smooth' mode in the Goggles RE.  Oh  . . & please add me to your growing list for updates.
2019-1-14
Use props
djiuser_Q4Hc6DWhAHwO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20843 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-27 13:51
I see. I already coordinate this concern to our R&D department for clarification. I will update you once I have the update. Thank you for your kind understanding.

DJI Natalia -  it's been over 3 months now , could we ALL please have an official response from DJI in regard to this matter & the missing , greyed out 'Smooth' mode in the Goggles RE.  Oh  . . & please add me to your growing list for updates.
2019-1-14
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anyone get a responce on this issue from DJI?

DJI are you ever going to to the truth on the RE goggles and Mavic Zoom limited range issue?
2019-1-14
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Hey @DJI, any news about this?
2019-1-19
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI online support can you please comment on this issue?  Can we trade in our RE goggles for a set that works with the zoom correctly and not with the limited range issue ?
2019-1-22
Use props
shaun2k
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35154 ft
Australia

Almost another month passes and DJI’s reputation is on the line...
2019-2-10
Use props
TonyTone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 806532 ft
United States

My second set of RE goggles and very disappointed. These are going back in the box for return. That was your last chance. I ain't paying $500 for a ...ty experience. 10-30ft and I lose signal.
2019-2-22
Use props
ATTJ
New
Flight distance : 150262 ft
United Kingdom

I was flying today with a Mavic Pro.  Nice warm day.  Goggles had about 70% charge.  and they just suddenly blanked out???  Like they turned themselves off.  Luckily I had my iPhone connected so was able to fly FPV home on that.  I was only about 250 m form the quad.  In 75 flights and over 95 miles flown...that has never happened to me before.  Knocked the old confidence a bit.  Has anyone else experiences this?
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, if your Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, please make troubleshooting first:
1. Check if the 5.8G antenna is mounted on the Goggles RE correctly.
2. Check if there are any abnormalities in the image transmission using the 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands.

If the issue persists, we recommend to send back the Goggles RE to our official repair center for the diagnosis, please start a ticket online https://repair.dji.com/repair/index if it is available for you or contact our support team www.dji.com/support. Once the ticket is created, please keep us updated with the case number, we will follow up, thank you.
2019-3-20
Use props
mkr68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10774 ft
  • >>>
United States

As of April 13th, The Goggles RE (without the antenna) would still freeze up after about 500ft.
2019-4-22
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mkr68 Posted at 4-22 05:18
As of April 13th, The Goggles RE (without the antenna) would still freeze up after about 500ft.

So what happens when you put the antenna on like you're meant to?
2019-4-22
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-20 22:57
Hi all, if your Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, please make troubleshooting first:
1. Check if the 5.8G antenna is mounted on the Goggles RE correctly.
2. Check if there are any abnormalities in the image transmission using the 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands.

DJI Mindy,
As many of us with M2 and RE have experienced, the transmission signal is weaker/lost when RE is connected compared to just M2 itself.

Some questions before I'm requesting a repair:
1) What is the expected range, same as without RE or something else? With/without the antenna?
2) Can you pls confirm the antenna is needed? And is this ONLY for 5.8 G?
3) As many owners seem to have the issue, is this a technical design issue or is it individual units?
4) Is the problem in the M2 or RE? And can it be addressed by firmware or is it in the hardware?

I am a bit scared using the RE, as I don't want to risk losing my M2, and don't feel very confident in it.

Thanks
2019-4-22
Use props
mkr68
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-20 22:57
Hi all, if your Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, please make troubleshooting first:
1. Check if the 5.8G antenna is mounted on the Goggles RE correctly.

Stupid question, I have the DJI Racing Combo Goggles RE and there are a total of 6 antennas. 2 with the drone and 4 in the combo box. which one do i use?
2019-4-22
Use props
mkr68
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 4-22 06:03
So what happens when you put the antenna on like you're meant to?

Didn't try it I was in the Dominican and didn't have them with me.
2019-4-22
Use props
mkr68
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

ScanDrone Posted at 4-22 07:22
DJI Mindy,
As many of us with M2 and RE have experienced, the transmission signal is weaker/lost when RE is connected compared to just M2 itself.

Every time I lost the signal and the screen went black and white, a RTH would pop up with the slider to activate it. I was always able to bring the drone back with a frozen screen.
2019-4-22
Use props
EmilioCid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7445200 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I have the same problem with both Mavic 2 and Googles RE with latest firmware.   In normal mode I can´t go further than 200m.   I have a great improvement setting both to 2.4.  But if want to furhter than 1km I have to turn the google off to regaign connection.  

It would be great if we could connect the google by USB-cable.  
2019-6-21
Use props
EmilioCid
lvl.3
  • >>>
Brazil

Good news!    
The googles do connect to remote by USB cable.   I will test if by wired connection the googles would not disturb the remote signal.  

With the drone off, I tried to connect a Phantom (just to forget the wireless conection with  the Mavic2).  Then I turned on drone and remote. The lateral USB cable must be NOT attached.  Then connect a long USB cable at the lower part of the remote to the googles.  It worked !  

I hope that, this way the Occusync of the googles will not be operanting and not disturbing the signal between the drone and the remote.

Let´s test it.
2019-6-21
Use props
EmilioCid
lvl.3
  • >>>
Brazil

EmilioCid Posted at 6-21 14:10
Good news!   
The googles do connect to remote by USB cable.   I will test if by wired connection the googles would not disturb the remote signal.  

Tested connection by cable.  It is worse than by occusync.  
2019-6-25
Use props
fans4cd156a4
New
United States

WOW!!!  Like many on this thread, I am unsettled by the way DJI is handling the fact that their more expensive goggles drastically reduce the range of their more expensive consumer-level model drone.  I have been a loyal DJI customer since the original Phantom and have never been disappointed with them until now.  

I have tried every suggested solution involving settings (i.e., 2.4 vs 5.8, dual, automatic, etc.), all to no avail.  

Although I haven't done an extensive range comparison, I can verify that adding the Pagoda Antenna does make a big positive difference for me.  
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules