Critically low power. Aircraft is landing.
2413 17 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Got this message this morning. Not the best message to get when more than 2 km away and up on a mountain.
Is the reason for this low voltages or too much difference of cells in battery?
Flight log Phantom help.
2018-9-9
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was a combination of low battery voltage and high altitude. The critically low battery landing will be triggered sooner if it's going to take longer to land.

FYI, here's a good video that explains how to the use the battery level indicator at the top of DJI GO to figure out when the critically low battery level is going to be triggered:

2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It has nothing to do with battery, you first got a warning , only enough battery to RTH , you ignored this, you then got critical battery warning auto landing which is correct procedure.

I see you reached 1030 metres altitude, insane.
2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 07:04
It has nothing to do with battery, you first got a warning , only enough battery to RTH , you ignored this, you then got critical battery warning auto landing which is correct procedure.

I see you reached 1030 metres altitude, insane.

Tell it to these that its insane. We have tried.
Also it was not 1000 m AGL.

These are the places we are flying in these days to search for animals before winter.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 07:34
[view_image]

I was just asking, because Aircraft set at 500 metre max.
2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

msinger Posted at 2018-9-9 06:56
It was a combination of low battery voltage and high altitude. The critically low battery landing will be triggered sooner if it's going to take longer to land.

FYI, here's a good video that explains how to the use the battery level indicator at the top of DJI GO to figure out when the critically low battery level is going to be triggered:

Thanks it was the red critically low which I was to late to see.
I did cancel the RTH as it want to go home on 60% battery in this altitude and distance.
It is modified FW and has 10 m/sec down so normally it takes not long time to land.
In this case I could not change to sport mode again because of forced landing.
Thanks for the info.
2018-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 07:34
[view_image]

I am very sorry for your incident but these pictures and the two mountain goats are fantastic!
Main question though: Did you manage to recover the aircraft? From your flightrecord it looks like at least.
Edit: Important correction, they are rather sheep I'd say now, apologies!
2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 07:37
I was just asking, because Aircraft set at 500 metre max.

We have 3 drones which we use for these searches and have modded altitude and attach angel.
We used to use small manned ultra lights  for this but then you can't go into these small valleys in the mountains. We can also use the drones to get the animals down.
2018-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 08:00
We have 3 drones which we use for these searches and have modded  latitude and attach angel.
We used to use small manned ultra lights  for this but then you can't go into these small valleys in the mountains. We can also use the drones to get the animals down.

This is a great use for drones indeed. Are you active in nature and species conservation and do the monitoring for this purpose?
2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-9 07:58
I am very sorry for your incident but these pictures and the two mountain goats are fantastic!
Main question though: Did you manage to recover the aircraft? From your flightrecord it looks like at least.

Yes it landed at home point at 22% battery. Normally I want to bee close to home point at 30%.
The main worry was if I could get it over the edge and down the mountain.
2018-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 08:08
Yes it landed at home point at 22% battery. Normally I want to bee close to home point at 30%.
The main worry was if I could get it over the edge and down the mountain.

Then I am very happy to hear that all has ended good, well done!
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 08:00
We have 3 drones which we use for these searches and have modded  latitude and attach angel.

This might be an interesting program for you, I have done a weekend course using it with P4 , it’s extremely reliable, I was there on behalf of our community, but the program is extremely expensive at the moment.
I know these guys were in some talks recently with dji , but haven’t heard if anything had come from it.

2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-9 08:06
This is a great use for drones indeed. Are you active in nature and species conservation and do the monitoring for this purpose?

No I am a farmer and we help each others here in the area to get the animals home.
There are two weekends in September (normally 2. and 3.) witch we have to get the seeps and goats from the mountains.
2018-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-9 09:03
No I am a farmer and we help each others here in the area to get the animals home.
There are two weekends in September (normally 2. and 3.) witch we have to get the seeps and goats from the mountains.

That is also fantastic use of drones. I am impressed and sincerely wish you all get your animals home safely!
2018-9-9
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Glad you got the gear back in one place looks like a wonderful place to work somehow.
2018-9-9
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 08:26
This might be an interesting program for you, I have done a weekend course using it with P4 , it’s extremely reliable, I was there on behalf of our community, but the program is extremely expensive at the moment.
I know these guys were in some talks recently with dji , but haven’t heard if anything had come from it.

Very nice pics and an intriguing story.  
FWIW, I created a "search" style pattern (Mission) using Litchi on my MPro.  Much, much smaller scale, but I have no doubt that you could expand the area, even creating multiple linked missions.  When you create a mission (on your desktop or tablet) it will time the mission and you'll get feedback on battery usage that could protect you from "unintended landings."
A neighboring farmer knew I had  a quad and asked me to video his 40 acres of soybeans.  A contract sprayer mis-formulated the weed control product and it resulted in some lost crops.  He wanted a video that he could submit for settlement.  By creating a measured grid he could identify how many square yards of damage occurred.  You can also "pre-fly" a mission on your desktop and adjust altitude by adding waypoints and increasing/decreasing altitudes appropriately.
2018-9-9
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Iceland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 08:26
This might be an interesting program for you, I have done a weekend course using it with P4 , it’s extremely reliable, I was there on behalf of our community, but the program is extremely expensive at the moment.

What was the price on this program now?
It looks like it can save a lot of time if you have to search big area.
A few pictures from last days here.

Pictures on Google Drive
2018-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

G_Sig Posted at 2018-9-16 14:24
What was the price on this program now?
It looks like it can save a lot of time if you have to search big area.
A few pictures from last days here.

At the time it was costing something like 15000 grand for the license, there were also annual charges, plus you were required to do a training course, from talking to some of the guys I was under the impression they were more interested in some company coming in to buy the full rights. I know sales have not been going well for them, but they are continually developing it.
There was also some keen interest coming from dji, but not sure how this panned out, for what you do it would certainly help.
I beleive it could be something that could be replicated, we use a similar SAR program on our rib boats it’s a lot cheaper but not as polished.

Great photos. It’s great work you all do over there. Good luck.
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules