Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone else dealing with really soft corners?
19431 210 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-10-2 03:26
I actually noticed it in video first and just confirmed using stills, shooting straight down on a high contrast surface allows you to really see whats going on...

Interesting, that's the thing with drones you are so far away everything usually has to be sharp corner to corner so a much higher chance of picking up inconsistencies. So you would have only seen in FOV video not HQ as only using small part of sensor?
2018-10-2
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Bussty Posted at 2018-10-2 03:32
Interesting, that's the thing with drones you are so far away everything usually has to be sharp corner to corner so a much higher chance of picking up inconsistencies. So you would have only seen in FOV video not HQ as only using small part of sensor?

First noticed it in HQ mode, the soft upper left corner was visible even when using only a portion of the sensor. When using the full sensor in video or photo mode the problems obviously got worse.

My drone with the replacement camera just arrived, hopefully it stops raining soon and I can take a couple of test shots.
2018-10-2
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7260 ft
United States

Crio Posted at 2018-10-2 03:05
I received my replacement unit few days ago. It is definitely better but still not as it should be.
Meaning the image is more usable, but there is 100% out of focus softness in the same areas.

Damn, that's a real shame to only get another defective unit... I'm hoping to do more real world testing (shooting buildings, parking lot, things with sharp edges on left side - hope to fly later today to get some more shots) before sending it in, but I did ask support to inquire with their engineers about why my still images appear soft on the left hand side, no matter the aperture.

I really don't want to send it in and be stuck with no drone to fly (as they repair it) and them holding onto my $, with the chance that I'll just get another defective unit. Maybe this is something I would just have to live with and not pixel peep, but this is my first drone purchase, so I'm really bummed.
2018-10-2
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-10-2 04:17
First noticed it in HQ mode, the soft upper left corner was visible even when using only a portion of the sensor. When using the full sensor in video or photo mode the problems obviously got worse.

My drone with the replacement camera just arrived, hopefully it stops raining soon and I can take a couple of test shots.

Must have been shocking if you could see it in HQ mode! Be really keen to see what you think of the replacement...
2018-10-2
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-2 05:09
Damn, that's a real shame to only get another defective unit... I'm hoping to do more real world testing (shooting buildings, parking lot, things with sharp edges on left side - hope to fly later today to get some more shots) before sending it in, but I did ask support to inquire with their engineers about why my still images appear soft on the left hand side, no matter the aperture.

I really don't want to send it in and be stuck with no drone to fly (as they repair it) and them holding onto my $, with the chance that I'll just get another defective unit. Maybe this is something I would just have to live with and not pixel peep, but this is my first drone purchase, so I'm really bummed.

I haven't purchased a MP2 yet (I want to) but there are too many people quoting issues like yours (and others) to be 100% comfortable to push the button. I think with a Hasselblad branded launch you should be 100% satisfied with the quality. If you are not then DJI haven't delivered to your expectations and I would be asking for a refund. This seems to be the cusp of the 1" sensor in a portable drone they will get it right eventually so it feels to me I'm best to wait and spend my $3K New Zealand dollars then...
2018-10-2
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey Jeff, did you get this replaced? was it fixed with a new model? I am having issues, not as bad as yours but def soft on the right side... I heard it takes 5 weeks to get a replacement...
2018-10-2
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-10-2 01:44
Update:
Contacted support and sent the drone in. They exchanged the whole camera / gimbal module under warranty and it's back on its way here. Should arrive today and I will post new sample pics once I get a chance.

How long did the whole process take? I have soft right side but worried it will take 6 weeks
2018-10-2
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Bussty Posted at 2018-10-2 18:09
I haven't purchased a MP2 yet (I want to) but there are too many people quoting issues like yours (and others) to be 100% comfortable to push the button. I think with a Hasselblad branded launch you should be 100% satisfied with the quality. If you are not then DJI haven't delivered to your expectations and I would be asking for a refund. This seems to be the cusp of the 1" sensor in a portable drone they will get it right eventually so it feels to me I'm best to wait and spend my $3K New Zealand dollars then...

Yeah, I bit the bullet and hoped for the best... This might be my first and last purchase from DJI if I send it in for repairs/replacement and get another faulty unit.. Submitting a support request today.
2018-10-3
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Skyris Posted at 2018-10-2 20:19
How long did the whole process take? I have soft right side but worried it will take 6 weeks

Gotta give them credit for that, I sent it to a German repair center, diagnose, repair (new camera module, i believe including gimbal) and shipping back took about a week.
2018-10-3
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Submitted my support request for repair/replacement this morning... Will keep you all updated on my progress...

Made a folder on Google Drive with a collection of images from my M2P. https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 7ZmBNW1?usp=sharing

One that really shows the soft left side is a #topdown shot of a basketball court at my local park:
2018-10-3
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Just went out and did a first test with the new unit. Don't have much time today but I really wanted to see how the new camera performs.

I think, the new camera is edge-to-edge sharpness wise better than the old one. The weird mushy and uneven blurriness of the old camera is mostly gone (top left in the old picture). It's still not what I would consider "good" in any other camera but we have to remember while we are talking about a "big" 1" sensor the lens in front of it is still tiny, specially considering the wide field of view. I don't know if what I have now is as good as it can get with this camera, gotta say if this is it I'm still a little bit disappointed.  

I'm gonna do some more testing tomorrow and will keep you updated.  

Pictures:

2018-10-3
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-10-3 05:13
Gotta give them credit for that, I sent it to a German repair center, diagnose, repair (new camera module, i believe including gimbal) and shipping back took about a week.

Wow thats quick. I have seen a few people here with replacements but still soft...  how was your repair.
2018-10-3
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am having the same issue, left is better than right, shot at f4 which seems to be the sharpest I have read and seen on youtube. I know this is pixel peeping but its not just in the corners but like others more of a band on the left and right covering more or less a third.. has anyone tried without the uv filter?

2018-10-3
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

how do you go about opening a support request, this camera is too soft and need to get it replaced/repaired.
2018-10-3
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-10-3 06:06
Just went out and did a first test with the new unit. Don't have much time today but I really wanted to see how the new camera performs.

I think, the new camera is edge-to-edge sharpness wise better than the old one. The weird mushy and uneven blurriness of the old camera is mostly gone (top left in the old picture). It's still not what I would consider "good" in any other camera but we have to remember while we are talking about a "big" 1" sensor the lens in front of it is still tiny, specially considering the wide field of view. I don't know if what I have now is as good as it can get with this camera, gotta say if this is it I'm still a little bit disappointed.  

What are your sides ?
Softness in corners dont bother me as much as side out of focus.

Cheers
2018-10-4
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, my whole left side is soft/out of focus. I submitted a support request via the main website, or here: https://www.dji.com/support/product?site=brandsite&from=nav

Submitted a claim yesterday morning with a link to a Google Drive folder showing the issue with my images. I have not received a response from anyone at @djisupport
2018-10-4
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-4 05:02
Yeah, my whole left side is soft/out of focus. I submitted a support request via the main website, or here: https://www.dji.com/support/product?site=brandsite&from=nav

Submitted a claim yesterday morning with a link to a Google Drive folder showing the issue with my images. I have not received a response from anyone at @djisupport

I was advised to contact local service center via email
2018-10-4
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

I finally got a response to my first request for support through the website late today. They asked for more info and asked if I had reset the camera settings... unfortunately, that won't fix the issue here!

So, I sent additional info with my concerns/complaint. Will keep you all updated on my progress here!
2018-10-4
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have just submitted a request for repair/replacement unfortunately I think I will have to send from Australia to Hong Kong... not too sure..
I am defintley having these issues and its not looking good in 360 panos with blurry parts every 90 degrees or so
2018-10-4
Use props
Lucian Vaduva
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59114 ft

I tested Mavic 2 on all apertures range, mounted on a tripod. I can say that at f/7.1 seems to be at best sharpness and less vignette. At f/2.8 is very normal to be soft in corners, but I wouldn't use this aperture unless light is very low, or for night shooting.
DJI Mavic 2 review
2018-10-4
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Mine are soft on the whole left side, when focusing on the center of the frame, nomatter the camera settings. I tried doing everything I could to determine how I could get the left side to be sharp with the center and right to no avail.
2018-10-5
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

has anyone had a decent replacement yet? I have submitted a replacement and awaiting for DJI to look over the supplied images... Im am hoping to get a good copy once I have sent it back.. fingers crossed
2018-10-7
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

I've sent images and all other info to support (Friday) and they said it'll be passed onto engineers to see what's up with the softness on L side of all my images. I'll let you know what I hear back.
2018-10-8
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264157 ft
Canada

Got my replacement back.  Brand new in box...

Corners still soft and crappy.  Regretting selling my P4Pro.  Will keep this as a toy until DJI releases the P5.  I can only hope they learn from this crappy lens.  Obviously when you see the distortion in the file before corrected in Photoshop they are doing a major compensation.  Just a crap design.  Anyhow.  Dont expect the world from this people.  I have had 2 brand new Mavic 2 pro's in box and obviously others are seeing the same thing.

All thing said, its not un-usable, as it still takes fine pictures.  For pixel peepers and techies we will always complain.  P4 Pro took better pictures though.  Hoping P5 will have the new Ocusync tech with upgraded optics.  The sensor has plenty of dynamic range and is great, we just need a better lens design...
2018-10-8
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JeffInCanada Posted at 2018-10-8 21:31
Got my replacement back.  Brand new in box...

Corners still soft and crappy.  Regretting selling my P4Pro.  Will keep this as a toy until DJI releases the P5.  I can only hope they learn from this crappy lens.  Obviously when you see the distortion in the file before corrected in Photoshop they are doing a major compensation.  Just a crap design.  Anyhow.  Dont expect the world from this people.  I have had 2 brand new Mavic 2 pro's in box and obviously others are seeing the same thing.

Yeah, same here after replacement... also same conclusions
2018-10-9
Use props
nablaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15085 ft
Finland

Crio Posted at 2018-10-9 00:05
Yeah, same here after replacement... also same conclusions

1st M2P I had clear issue/ blurriness in lower left corner, in both stills and videos, right side was tact sharp.
I got brand new replacement which is now having issues on right side of the frames especially on videos. I can't figure out why I'm not seeing the issue on stills in same way as in videos.
Anyway I'm now on 3rd replacement/support round for which I don't have high hopes.
I suspect there is a sensor and lens assembly issue like it was with previously owned P2V and P3P (suprisingly excluding P4P). And why I suspect this is that after numerous service rounds, at the end I had to disassemble lens mounts and do the rework by myself.
I didn't expect P4P quality from M2P but I was hoping DJI would have fixed the assembly QA issues (or whatever is causing these issues).
2018-10-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

nablaf Posted at 2018-10-9 03:28
1st M2P I had clear issue/ blurriness in lower left corner, in both stills and videos, right side was tact sharp.
I got brand new replacement which is now having issues on right side of the frames especially on videos. I can't figure out why I'm not seeing the issue on stills in same way as in videos.
Anyway I'm now on 3rd replacement/support round for which I don't have high hopes.

I had this problem on MP, M2P and X5s ( not only corners but whole side out of focus ) so its a continous problem on many DJI cameras.
2018-10-9
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Finally got a response about my issue. After sending multiple photos showing the issue (out of focus on left side of still images), I've been told to submit an online repair request.

"We understand how you feel regarding this matter and we really thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear about the issue you had with your new DJI product as this is not the kind of experience that we want for you.

Moreover, we already received a feedback from our engineers and they have confirmed that this is a possible issue with the camera and you might have to send the unit to us for further checking and diagnosis.

Since you are in United States, you can use our online repair request system to create a case and then send it in for service."

Not sure what will happen next, but I'll keep you all updated on my progress. Guess I'll fly my Tello while I wait for my M2P to be repaired. I seriously just hope that by sending this in, DJI engineers can use it to help find out what is going on during manufacturing that causes this issue. I also hope that I'll get a better camera this time!
2018-10-10
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-10 07:31
Finally got a response about my issue. After sending multiple photos showing the issue (out of focus on left side of still images), I've been told to submit an online repair request.

"We understand how you feel regarding this matter and we really thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear about the issue you had with your new DJI product as this is not the kind of experience that we want for you.

Hi any update on your new camera/craft? Mine has been sent in and awaiting assessment, I am just wondering how long it taken for everyone else? did you all get a replacement camera or drone or did they fix the sensor/lens alignment themselves?
its been a week for me already since posted and just got a reply today saying the received it and awaiting assessment.
2018-10-21
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Skyris Posted at 2018-10-21 19:33
Hi any update on your new camera/craft? Mine has been sent in and awaiting assessment, I am just wondering how long it taken for everyone else? did you all get a replacement camera or drone or did they fix the sensor/lens alignment themselves?
its been a week for me already since posted and just got a reply today saying the received it and awaiting assessment.

Hey, I initially contacted support on 10/3. Just got the drone back today, 10/24. So basically from the start of everything it took around 3 weeks, which much of that time was spent communicating with support and shipping to and from (I'm in NJ and repair facility in CA) via UPS Ground.

Actual time at repair facility was one day. I emailed US Support once I knew my M2P was at the repair facility to ask for an expedited repair (since it wasn't my fault). They responded and basically said they would diagnose and repair asap. A replacement M2P was shipped the next day via UPS Ground.

I just got it this morning. Looks new to me. Windy here today so hoping the wind dies down so I can do a test flight this evening! Will post any photos I get to compare with ones I got from my old M2P.

Here it is:

IMG_7997.JPG
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG
2018-10-24
Use props
Skyris
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-24 06:33
Hey, I initially contacted support on 10/3. Just got the drone back today, 10/24. So basically from the start of everything it took around 3 weeks, which much of that time was spent communicating with support and shipping to and from (I'm in NJ and repair facility in CA) via UPS Ground.

Actual time at repair facility was one day. I emailed US Support once I knew my M2P was at the repair facility to ask for an expedited repair (since it wasn't my fault). They responded and basically said they would diagnose and repair asap. A replacement M2P was shipped the next day via UPS Ground.

Would be great to know if the camera issues is fixed or at least better, My MP2 is on its way back from repair and due for delivery tomorrow so am hoping its fixed. They assessed before replacing and assessed after repair.. just hoping they checked for softness before posting back.

I was happy with the service here in Australia, quick turn around.. only gripe is that the postage they organised for getting the drone to and from the repair center has to be the cheapest form of delivery, its extremely slow and tracking is poor. Oh well lets hope its fixed..
2018-10-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-10-25
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-25 01:19
Your (new) image is PERFECTLY FINE. Not only is it super sharp considering the physical size of the Hasselblad lens and all the tiny glass elements in it BUT especially because all of your corners have the same loss in sharpness so super uniform. Lenses costing twice as much as the whole drone still show the same behaviour, it's physics. You are a lucky drone operator my friend

A lot of people are saying that but from what I have seen posted here and my own experience the softness on the drone images in the corners is worse than a high end lens and the Hasselblad was marketed as having outstanding image quality but it didn't deliver in the corners on some MP2's at least. But I get it.... I can't fly my OMD EM-1 Mk2 and get the shots the MP2 can but the price is I can't expect the same quality as my OM-D. I'm sure one day we will though.  
2018-10-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-10-25
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Corner softness is one thing, side softnes is another issue that this marvel of a camera has
I wouldnt be worried about the first one as its a common thing on those small lenses as El Diablo ( Dont confuse with El Pablo )  said.

Nonetheless
Considering that DNG from M2P is cropped to compensate barrel distorition its a bummer to see this softness afterall ( my Mavic Air was sharp corner to corner )
2018-10-26
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Haven't had a lot of time to take more photos, but camera softness on left side is gone. Right side looks okay too.
2018-10-26
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-26 09:27
[view_image]

Haven't had a lot of time to take more photos, but camera softness on left side is gone. Right side looks okay too.

Awesome ! Can you post some full res. files ?
2018-10-27
Use props
FFerrarini
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Hi all... I'm very sad to read about all these problems. I bought the mavic 2 pro right today and I immediately tried to make some shots with the camera facing down to see any problems with the lens. at this point I'm confused, do you think it's okay? I have 7 days to request a replacement from my seller, but I think it's not so useful ...

all the photos inserted are taken at 100 ISO and f2.8 ... do you think I found a good one?

here the link to a google drive folder with jpg straight out of camera.  

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... GGdoe-hRVajRx4brTuU
2018-12-21
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

FFerrarini Posted at 12-21 12:22
Hi all... I'm very sad to read about all these problems. I bought the mavic 2 pro right today and I immediately tried to make some shots with the camera facing down to see any problems with the lens. at this point I'm confused, do you think it's okay? I have 7 days to request a replacement from my seller, but I think it's not so useful ...

all the photos inserted are taken at 100 ISO and f2.8 ... do you think I found a good one?

Hey, after dealing with the soft left side on my first M2P (and getting it replaced), second camera was top notch, but my gimbal was all screwed up on that one. Now I'm on my 3rd M2P... I've flown a few times and feel that image quality is similar to what I had on the second unit.

I'd do some more tests at around f4-5.6 and try to get structures or things with sharp edges on both sides of your frame. Leave the focus point in the center and let it focus automatically when depresssing the shutter button. I'd be more than happy to check out more photos that you get to help determine if you have a faulty camera.
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules