Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in the Woods - Options?
859 13 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quade
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

I would like to fly my Spark in the woods in Tripod mode where the GPS signal may be lost.  I assume if it does lose it, then it will go into RTH mode and climb into the trees if I don't cancel in time.

What are my options to do this safely?

-Quade
2018-9-10
Use props
Chuck101
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27815 ft
United States

When you loose GPS the RTH will not work. The AC no longer knows where it is.

You MUST fly manually.
2018-9-10
Use props
Quade
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

Chuck101 Posted at 2018-9-10 10:57
When you loose GPS the RTH will not work. The AC no longer knows where it is.

You MUST fly manually.

Excellent...so the only thing I have to worry about since I'll be basically right behind it, is if it loses signal to the RC, where RTH will be initiated. Chances will be very low at that distance.

I figure I can control it in ATTI mode from a short distance.

thanks..
2018-9-10
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

There is a setting for 'return to home at current altitude' but that only works when the drone is within a certain distance away from the home point.  Look it up.. it may be just what you need.
2018-9-10
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

In my experience, I invariably lose GPS when flying in trees so I expect to be flying in ATTI mode for at least some of the time. I just make sure that I can see the Spark clearly at all times so I can guide it safely between/around the trees as I want. In the unlikely event that RTH should initiate, the pause button on the RC is just a click away.
2018-9-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

It is a pity that the Spark cannot be manually switched to Atti mode where all of the automatic navigational controls are switched off. Then the user could manually take control, and runaways could only occur as a result of user error - good for users and good for DJI, in my opinion.
2018-9-10
Use props
nrrt***********
Second Officer

United States

with all the technology we have now  i have always thought , that if a drone any drone had a flash drive that you could set the home point and keep it until you reset it and  if you do lose contact with the drone the GPS  that is always on will come back to the home point set in the flash drive .
2018-9-10
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29806 ft

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-9-10 14:48
It is a pity that the Spark cannot be manually switched to Atti mode where all of the automatic navigational controls are switched off. Then the user could manually take control, and runaways could only occur as a result of user error - good for users and good for DJI, in my opinion.

Yes I agree , I like it  on my P2 ,cheers
2018-9-10
Use props
Arnor
Captain
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

nrrt*********** Posted at 2018-9-10 19:03
with all the technology we have now  i have always thought , that if a drone any drone had a flash drive that you could set the home point and keep it until you reset it and  if you do lose contact with the drone the GPS  that is always on will come back to the home point set in the flash drive .

If the drone loose GPS tracking, he can't come back...there is internal storage and processing units in most drones.
2018-9-11
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

Arnor Posted at 2018-9-11 00:36
If the drone loose GPS tracking, he can't come back...there is internal storage and processing units in most drones.

that's what i'm saying if the drone loses GPS it can load the home point flash drive setting ( a separate unit )  and return to the set location .
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. If this will be the scenario, RTH will not work if GPS signal is weak and it will automatically switch to Atti mode. If that will happen, we highly suggest to control the drone manually.
2018-9-11
Use props
Arnor
Captain
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

NRRTRAINS 85 Posted at 2018-9-11 06:23
that's what i'm saying if the drone loses GPS it can load the home point flash drive setting ( a separate unit )  and return to the set location .

If it looses GPS it doesn't know where it's located and can't come back. It'll also switch to ATTI mode.
See : 11#

I don't get what you are saying :-)
2018-9-11
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

Arnor Posted at 2018-9-11 22:34
If it looses GPS it doesn't know where it's located and can't come back. It'll also switch to ATTI mode.
See : 11#

what i mean to say is the flash drive would work like a fail safe if the spark dose lose GPS  it has the setting and should load it and come back to the flash drive setting . or maybe i don't know how  DJI GPS works . when a drone loses GPS dose it  just stay in one position or fly away to where ? if it had a way to use the setting on the flash drive it should come back to the home point . yes or no .sorry for the confusion just thinking how to RTH another way if all outhers fail .
2018-9-12
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

If it loses GPS it has no way of knowing where it is so even though the flash drive gives it the home point, it has no way of knowing what direction to fly to get there...it doesn't know if it's North, South, East or West of the home point so cannot come up with a direction to fly.  
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules