Request for Latency indicator.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Hey DJI,

I have a request.  I have noticed that sometimes the lightbridge on my Phantom 3 Pro is very good.  (Within spec.)  And sometimes it is NOT.  Like over two seconds of latency.  The longer latency typically happens as the aircraft is at long range.  (More than 300 meters.)   Latency can be very dangerous when flying by the lightbridge image alone.  I have almost hit trees on several occasions when unexpected latency has built up.

So I was thinking... Since you are getting 2 way communication to and from the Phantom at all times... How about pinging the light bridge periodically to check leatency?  How about putting up a latency meter or a red flag when the latency is over 1 second.

Latency is downright dangerous.  Any indication that possible latency is occurring in the lightbridge feed is critical info for a Phantom pilot.

Please add a lantency warning or a latency meter to the app.  

Thanks.  
2015-5-29
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

No.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

What number would you trust? If there's latency from the system, the notification itself would suffer from that very same latency!

Experience might be your best bet. When I showed my wife my first pics/video she was alarmed when I went by some palm trees. Until you get used to what you can actually see and be aware of where it really is relative to where it *looks* like it is, caution is the name of the game.

If you want the same kind of FPV experience you get from FatShark (just to pick an example), you're not going to get the same kind of 720P HD you get from LightBridge.

My first thought was - how about a system that identifies latency and then switches to a much lower resolution. However, how will it know there's latency? Sounds like kind of a Catch-22! An embedded "time signal" to identify the gap in send/receive times? i.e., a calculation based on the time sent/received relative to the distance from the controller?

I'm not an engineer and I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-9 21:02
What number would you trust? If there's latency from the system, the notification itself would suffe ...

Yes...  If there was 1.5 seconds of delay in the light bridge ping you can display a message (after 1.5 seconds) that says the delay is currently 1.5 seconds.  This can be timed & measured in the tablet cpu.

At least you would have a warning on the screen with an estimate of delay.  Right now all we have is a delayed picture with no indication of the delay.  Am I looking at video from 200ms ago or 2 seconds ago?  Currently there is no way to tell.   Even an fps estimate would be better than nothing.
2015-7-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-9 22:50
Yes...  If there was 1.5 seconds of delay in the light bridge ping you can display a message (afte ...

Guess I totally forgot about the tablet part of this "equation." The calcs might not be nearly as complicated as I originally thought.

Frankly, I would be perfectly willing to get "less" of a picture than the 720P HD we're getting from LightBridge. It seems all we really need is enough of a picture to "frame" our camera view and/or identify where we are - or rather, where the Phantom is!
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-10 02:52
Guess I totally forgot about the tablet part of this "equation." The calcs might not be nearly as  ...

There is a way to switch the bandwidth to lower picture quality on the light bridge.  And DJI has recommend setting it to the lower setting right now for those having lag issues.

I believe it''s on the channel selection page under the advanced options.  Basically it lets you switch from 6 megabits to 4 megabits.
2015-7-9
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

http://www.dji.com/product/dropsafe
Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 21.03.26.png
2015-10-20
Use props
Advanced