1430 16 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sivawestlife
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13012 ft
United States

Hi,

My mavic pro dropped suddenly mid flight. It was open sky and the battery was 100%. I started the aircraft and within 1 minute, it dropped mid flight. The aircraft lights are blinking now in Solid Red. I sent the product to DJI repair support but i got the quote for $480 with the following remark,

nconclusive FLY000 N/A 1.) No crash found in available flights. 2.) Obvious damage that impairs normal function to unit. Conclusion: Cause of issue is due to physical damage. Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

When i looked at the flight log in DJI Go App, it is evident that the Altitude was stopped at 13m. The speed of the drone is 0.3MPH. If a drop or damage have happened, the altitude should have recorded to end at Zero. How it happened in mid-flight?

I requested the repair support to analyse the cause of the drop but i still didn't receive any update.

Flight log is uploaded here

It's been just a month since i purchased the drone and crash happened. My entire trip was a havoc due to the aircraft failure. The product is still with DJI repair facity now. Can someone help me understand how it happened and is it not the problem with aircraft?

2018-9-10
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

I am sorry to hear this, My bird is with DJI repair as we speak. My flight logs were wonky and end abruptly but with a little more complexity.  see Apex Down
The only thing I can think about is the battery popping out that would cause it to drop like that with no warning or anything.

Did you get the DJI refresh?
2018-9-10
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

Packer Backer Posted at 2018-9-10 19:58
I am sorry to hear this, My bird is with DJI repair as we speak. My flight logs were wonky and end abruptly but with a little more complexity.  see Apex Down
The only thing I can think about is the battery popping out that would cause it to drop like that with no warning or anything.

I just went through your post.. I am sorry for you as well. No, i haven't heard about DJI refresh earlier. I just came to know about it from DJI website only when i tried contacting support
2018-9-10
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

So weird about battery getting popped out. I am pretty much sure it was locked. Also the flight should not have started in first place if there is issue with battery lock.
2018-9-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Let me see if I got this...

DJI is saying the drone was damaged prior to recorded flight, because there was no indication of a crash in FlightLog?

Based on a FlightLog that ends while drone is still 12.5 to 13 meters in air?

Sure looks like a product malfunction.  Like power to drone was suddenly lost.  Or drone's CPU hung or went off to La-La land.
2018-9-10
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-10 20:26
Let me see if I got this...

DJI is saying the drone was damaged prior to recorded flight, because there was no indication of a crash in FlightLog?

This is TYPICAL DJI.  If your Mavic, the RC, or the App is defective in such a way that your flight logs are affected by the malfunction, you will not be supported by any warranty or even Care Refresh.  DJI relies solely on the data contained within the flight data log that is active at the time of the incident.  They will not in their investigation consider any other data/information that support any conclusion of any product malfunction.  For example, if your Mavic's CPU freezes mid-flight (suspected) and as a result your flight data log is interrupted/corrupted/incomplete in any way, and you experience a loss or damage of any sort during this period, you are SOL.  It does not matter how logical/reasonable or even if you can prove that a malfunction exists by another method/info, DJI will end their conversations with you and will repeat continuously a phrase such as "..we are sorry but we can only consider the data contained within the flight data log...".   So you better hope that if you suffer a malfunction that the actual malfunction is reported in the data log BEFORE the event happens or that an error code actually exists.  I experienced this firsthand with DJI.  Just as an example (and to be brief) : I suffered a loss for which my data log did not tell the whole story, nor did the log contain any event(s) that showed a total aircraft disconnect as well as RC disconnect.  I experienced similar anomalies for several flights prior, all of which I had data logs.  I submitted my prior 15 data logs for analysis because nearly half of them proved a full loss of log data (covering upto 1/2 of the entire flight duration).  DJI reviewed and said 'sorry but we can only use the flight log from the flight in question".  I then in response provided ALL OF MY FLIGHT DATA LOGS - 100% of every log from every flight I ever had (approx 300) and showed DJI that 100% of all my data logs (not one excluded folks if I didn't make that clear enough!)  never displayed any data within any logs where data was actually missing.  I used this as my (more than reasonable) evidence to show that my Mavic was definitely misbehaving in the majority of flights (the 15) prior to it's final flight, and NEVER before.  DJI simply ignored this and said "Sorry, but we can only analyse the flight data log from the flight in question..".      
2018-9-10
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
India

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-9-10 21:01
This is TYPICAL DJI.  If your Mavic, the RC, or the App is defective in such a way that your flight logs are affected by the malfunction, you will not be supported by any warranty or even Care Refresh.  DJI relies solely on the data contained within the flight data log that is active at the time of the incident.  They will not in their investigation consider any other data/information that support any conclusion of any product malfunction.  For example, if your Mavic's CPU freezes mid-flight (suspected) and as a result your flight data log is interrupted/corrupted/incomplete in any way, and you experience a loss or damage of any sort during this period, you are SOL.  It does not matter how logical/reasonable or even if you can prove that a malfunction exists by another method/info, DJI will end their conversations with you and will repeat continuously a phrase such as "..we are sorry but we can only consider the data contained within the flight data log...".   So you better hope that if you suffer a malfunction that the actual malfunction is reported in the data log BEFORE the event happens or that an error code actually exists.  I experienced this firsthand with DJI.  Just as an example (and to be brief) : I suffered a loss for which my data log did not tell the whole story, nor did the log contain any event(s) that showed a total aircraft disconnect as well as RC disconnect.  I experienced similar anomalies for several flights prior, all of which I had data logs.  I submitted my prior 15 data logs for analysis because nearly half of them proved a full loss of log data (covering upto 1/2 of the entire flight duration).  DJI reviewed and said 'sorry but we can only use the flight log from the flight in question".  I then in response provided ALL OF MY FLIGHT DATA LOGS - 100% of every log from every flight I ever had (approx 300) and showed DJI that 100% of all my data logs (not one excluded folks if I didn't make that clear enough!)  never displayed any data within any logs where data was actually missing.  I used this as my (more than reasonable) evidence to show that my Mavic was definitely misbehaving in the majority of flights (the 15) prior to it's final flight, and NEVER before.  DJI simply ignored this and said "Sorry, but we can only analyse the flight data log from the flight in question..".

This is a bad Customer experience. Since DJI assures the log can't be modified,  they should provide necessary reason for the cause of malfunction observed in logs as well.

I requested DJI support to provide reason for the cause of device malfunction in midflight. I saw a lot of crash reported by community members but aftermath of crash is usually major hardware parts getting broken or they will be able to resume to fly with camera feed broken. In my case, Drone dropped from the distance of 14m. Now It doesn't connect to controller and aircraft just blinks in Solid red(Critical error). I really believe it's cause of the CPU failure. Any one of you experienced similar issue?

Here are the following images,

2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi sivawestlife, we are so sorry for the crash accident and the unpleasant experience with our repair center, I managed to get your case number via your forum account that the flight records on the app were interrupted without possible collisions, your concern will be escalated to the appropriate department to double evaluate, we will have someone to contact you soon after confirmation, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Packer Backer Posted at 2018-9-10 19:58
The only thing I can think about is the battery popping out that would cause it to drop like that with no warning or anything.

Packer, we have replied your own thread, please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance during the repair process, we will do our best to help, thank you.
2018-9-11
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
United States

sivawestlife Posted at 2018-9-10 20:08
I just went through your post.. I am sorry for you as well. No, i haven't heard about DJI refresh earlier. I just came to know about it from DJI website only when i tried contacting support

Hopefully they will "reverse" their initial decision and get you flying again either way once you get it, look into insurance through DJI or maybe All Risk State Farm policy there are numerous posts about them.

I have a feeling with mine they will not honor the warranty and force me to use one of my DJI refreshes. I use the term "honor" as something definitely went wrong with Helix quick shot.  So I will be looking into the State Farm All Risk policy myself.

Good luck and hope you get up and flying soon!
2018-9-11
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-11 01:37
Packer, we have replied your own thread, please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance during the repair process, we will do our best to help, thank you.

Thanks Mindy,

Will do on the updates
2018-9-11
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

Packer Backer Posted at 2018-9-11 04:25
Hopefully they will "reverse" their initial decision and get you flying again either way once you get it, look into insurance through DJI or maybe All Risk State Farm policy there are numerous posts about them.

I have a feeling with mine they will not honor the warranty and force me to use one of my DJI refreshes. I use the term "honor" as something definitely went wrong with Helix quick shot.  So I will be looking into the State Farm All Risk policy myself.

Thanks and Good luck to you
2018-9-11
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-11 01:22
Hi sivawestlife, we are so sorry for the crash accident and the unpleasant experience with our repair center, I managed to get your case number via your forum account that the flight records on the app were interrupted without possible collisions, your concern will be escalated to the appropriate department to double evaluate, we will have someone to contact you soon after confirmation, please wait patiently, thank you.

Thanks Mindy..Appreciate your support..I'll wait for the update
2018-9-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Did DJI break out $480 bill as to what needed to be fixed, indicating what was wrong?  As in parts needing to be replaced.

My point being, whatever it is going to take to get your drone fully working again, could point to why your drone fell from sky and why the FlightLog file suddenly ended.
2018-9-11
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

Hi All,

I got the email from DJI today that they evaluated the case again and the product will be covered under warranty

WARRANTY: Dear Customer, This product will be covered under warranty. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy). - DJI North America

ItemQuantityUnit Price(USD)Total Price(USD)
Gimbal Arm Module159.0059.00
Middle Frame Module14.004.00
Right Landing Gear11.001.00
Rear Arm Landing Gear (Left)11.001.00
Mavic Intelligent Flight Battery (20)189.0089.00
Core Board1288.00288.00
Rear Arm Landing Gear (Right)11.001.00
Left Landing Gear11.001.00
Gimbal and Camera Module1101.00101.00
Gimbal Vibration Damping Module12.002.00
Lower Shell111.0011.00
Repair Service Fee265.00/H130.00
Freight:0.00
Total Amount:688.00
DJI Care deduction:0.00
Total Payment:0.00

Thank you Packer Backer, HedgeTrimmer, randy.sauder and DJI Mindy for the support and the right escalation

My next step is to purchase the DJI Refresh for my bird.
2018-9-11
Use props
sivawestlife
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-11 05:50
Did DJI break out $480 bill as to what needed to be fixed, indicating what was wrong?  As in parts needing to be replaced.

My point being, whatever it is going to take to get your drone fully working again, could point to why your drone fell from sky and why the FlightLog file suddenly ended.

The reason was still not listed here. I just got this breakup list on the spares to be replaced. It will be good if DJI responses to the reason behind the crash.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

sivawestlife Posted at 2018-9-11 23:07
The reason was still not listed here. I just got this breakup list on the spares to be replaced. It will be good if DJI responses to the reason behind the crash.

Hi, upon checking the flight records, it is still inconclusive so we can't tell you what exactly happened. It was raised to our Managerial Team and they coordinated this with our Data Analysis Team. The cause might be a power shut down mid flight per further investigation.
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules