Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

In my never ending consumption of YouTube, I saw this vid on the Micro USB port on the Mavic 2 Pro RC.
There are a few of these vids of users accidentally breaking this port. Just be careful out there!

Happy Flying!

2018-9-11
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The construction is not ideal, but with a little attention you won‘t break it since you need much force to get the plug in in the wrong direction.
2018-9-11
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

USB C would have been a better option in my opinion.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for sharing this video, However. When plugging in the USB pin in the port you will notice if you doing it wrong or correctly when you feel there's a force or resistant when plugged in you may dong it wrong.
2018-9-11
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

I must have plugged and unplugged that port upwards of 500 times and I still have to break it
2018-9-11
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Try these reversible Micro USB cables and you will never have to worry about plugging it in backwards again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-9-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I do aplogise at this stage for the rather strong statement that will follow now. Honestly, how dumb has one to be to create this problem, especially this guy who has owned several other DJI RCs before. For a brand new user not having looked at the details it might be just excusable. But hey, 90% of them statistically own an Android mobile phone with Micro USB port. Would they be as careless with that one too?
Starting with the Mavic Air and now continuing with the Mavic 2, DJI has significantly improved the situation to prevent at least any damage on the aircraft by using USB C ports for them. And for charging the RC or connecting it to DJI Assistant they provide the little adapter with the DJI logo on top of it which is the right position to plug into the RC. Is it really that difficult to just check that the logo is on top before you push it in?
Apart from that I am also interested to learn why DJI might prefer to keep Micro USB ports for charging instead of USB C ports, which would definitely make things close to idiot proof. Are direct USB C connections for some reason not suitable for charging? Anyone here who has the technical knowledge to explain what might be the reason?
2018-9-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Grumps Posted at 2018-9-11 10:42
Try these reversible Micro USB cables and you will never have to worry about plugging it in backwards again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV1LEIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slick!
2018-9-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV1LEIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice! I’m getting one of these!
2018-9-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-11 11:21
I do aplogise at this stage for the rather strong statement that will follow now. Honestly, how dumb has one to be to create this problem, especially this guy who has owned several other DJI RCs before. For a brand new user not having looked at the details it might be just excusable. But hey, 90% of them statistically own an Android mobile phone with Micro USB port. Would they be as careless with that one too?
Starting with the Mavic Air and now continuing with the Mavic 2, DJI has significantly improved the situation to prevent at least any damage on the aircraft by using USB C ports for them. And for charging the RC or connecting it to DJI Assistant they provide the little adapter with the DJI logo on top of it which is the right position to plug into the RC. Is it really that difficult to just check that the logo is on top before you push it in?
Apart from that I am also interested to learn why DJI might prefer to keep Micro USB ports for charging instead of USB C ports, which would definitely make things close to idiot proof. Are direct USB C connections for some reason not suitable for charging? Anyone here who has the technical knowledge to explain what might be the reason?

Yes! I think it’s ver odd they didn’t use USB-C
2018-9-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Mini-G Posted at 2018-9-11 12:58
Yes! I think it’s ver odd they didn’t use USB-C

I believe there must be a good reason and I would like to know it.
2018-9-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-11 17:47
I watched that video earlier.  He must have been super careless & rough inserting the cable.  I learned the first time I plugged in my Mavic Pro RC that the narrow side of the Micro-USB goes up towards the screen.

Hi,

Is the plug different on the Mavic 2 Pro?
It looks more square or is the part he broke off?

Thanks!
2018-9-11
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

I put a small dot of orange paint (nail varnish) on all my Micro-USB plugs that is only visible if the plug is the correct way around for inserting in the device.
It saves a lot of grief as I sometimes use a solar powered USB 5000mAH brick to field charge my tablet.
2018-9-12
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to admit, I have knackered up a microUSB port on a charger I had a few months ago and I'm normally real careful about these kinds of things. I'm always supercareful when I charge my controller though. I have said it before that its a bad design for DJI, I know whey they chose this port type for the controller based on the standards for the ports use but they probably could have gone to USB-C.

I have just ordered some of the reversible Micro USB cables.
2018-9-12
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-9-12 01:59
I have to admit, I have knackered up a microUSB port on a charger I had a few months ago and I'm normally real careful about these kinds of things. I'm always supercareful when I charge my controller though. I have said it before that its a bad design for DJI, I know whey they chose this port type for the controller based on the standards for the ports use but they probably could have gone to USB-C.

I have just ordered some of the reversible Micro USB cables.

Nice! Can you share the link of the reversible micro USB?
2018-9-12
Use props
Todd Harper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180669 ft
United States

Koelkop Posted at 2018-9-11 08:43
I must have plugged and unplugged that port upwards of 500 times and I still have to break it

x2. A little bit of self awareness goes along way, especially with something in this price range.
2018-9-12
Use props
Sky Donkey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Its old technology and super lazy of DJI not to have updated or changed it.   I can only assume that they got a job lot of micro usb adapters
2018-9-12
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-9-12 07:15
Its old technology and super lazy of DJI not to have updated or changed it.   I can only assume that they got a job lot of micro usb adapters

After reviewing 'most' of the video.  I think he's got a valid argument.  I agree that I would like to start seeing USB-C connectors on the remote controllers for charging as well as data connections to my PC.  

I'll be honest, my eyes aren't as good as they once were and I don't always have my reading glasses on me when I'm connecting everything up.  Yes, he made a mistake but if he did it...we'll, it means others are doing it as well.  Would love to start seeing a single connector type being used so let's start seeing USB-C connectors only going forward.  

Good video...worth having a discussion on at minimum.  
2018-9-12
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-11 13:05
I believe there must be a good reason and I would like to know it.

My educated guess is definitely $ - MicroUSB ports are probably cheaper to source. My uneducated guess is that the USB C with a 90º bend might be more money as well.
2018-9-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

FlySD Posted at 2018-9-12 08:31
My educated guess is definitely $ - MicroUSB ports are probably cheaper to source. My uneducated guess is that the USB C with a 90º bend might be more money as well.

I am not sure about that if you look at the prices for cables. You'll find a huge choice and the same model with either Micro USB or USB C plug will have the same price. Why should that be different for the sockets?
2018-9-12
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-12 08:44
I am not sure about that if you look at the prices for cables. You'll find a huge choice and the same model with either Micro USB or USB C plug will have the same price. Why should that be different for the sockets?

Again I am just making an educated guess to the price:

• micro USB ports have been around longer, so their production is higher and cheaper
• micro USB engineering and design was already used in the last controller, no design change = less $
• the firmware in the original controller was written for MicroUSB, less money to just keep what works

2018-9-12
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-12
Use props
jasoncopter
lvl.1
United States

You don't want to do this. The micro-to-micro cable is keyed for a reason.
2018-9-12
Use props
jasoncopter
lvl.1
United States

People should understand there IS a reason the Micro USB port on the RC side is rectangular and not trapezoid shaped. This is a Micro AB receptacle. The reason for the port being keyed is so that a port can be used as both a USB host as well as slave (aka USB OTG). More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go#OTG_micro_plugs
2018-9-12
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jasoncopter Posted at 2018-9-12 23:35
People should understand there IS a reason the Micro USB port on the RC side is rectangular and not trapezoid shaped. This is a Micro AB receptacle. The reason for the port being keyed is so that a port can be used as both a USB host as well as slave (aka USB OTG). More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go#OTG_micro_plugs

They could have used the keyed micro usb socket as the pin layout is the same but they have stuck to standards.
2018-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules