Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HLG workflows- asking pros for advice
3505 9 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Plugging in a HVEC encoded HLG (hybrid log gamma) file created from a Mavic 2 Pro into a HDR compatible TV was a stunning experience. Right out of the SD card, one realizes vibrant colors and a pleasant experience. I realize that a very bright monitor and HLG compatible 4K monitor is necessary to realize full dynamic range but for what its worth I'm hooked. Its not clear to me if the video is recorded in a different color space (Rec 709-10 bit?) or REC 2020 (likely the former). How does this matter?

As I understand, most pros still work in the traditional workflow and don't think much of the HLG feature, prefering to work with M DLOG. Can someone (DJI) post a tutorial or a link to such to educate the rest of us?

Also, from DJI: how likely are we to see such features ported to the I2 platform. It seems the video processing engine in the Mavic 2 is the new Amberella H3 which is mighty capable so maybe not as the I2 has an older chip. Raw with either the X5S or X7 sensors trumps whatever the M2 can do of course but I wonder how many of the 'new' features will affect how pros work. Interested to hear....

2018-9-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

32 views so far and no advice? Barry?
2018-9-12
Use props
DJChad72
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-9-12 06:48
32 views so far and no advice? Barry?

I had a similar post & nothing returned in way of info.  I google & all I find are people asking questions.  

I tried Dlog-m & HLG.  I thought Dlog was to be 10bit 422 HDR, but get info on the file doesn’t state that,  so I’m confused which is capable of what features.
2018-9-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJChad72 Posted at 2018-9-19 18:21
I had a similar post & nothing returned in way of info.  I google & all I find are people asking questions.  

I tried Dlog-m & HLG.  I thought Dlog was to be 10bit 422 HDR, but get info on the file doesn’t state that,  so I’m confused which is capable of what features.

DJI should put up a tutorial -they usually do a good job when they do so. 10bit is after all a selling point for the M2....
2018-9-19
Use props
Turisto2000
New

Germany

Hello,

Just registered on this forum to ask single question... And realized that I cannot ask this question because I have no points!
Very interesting... No rights for newbies to ask questions on forums regarding Mavics they purchased? How to get points then?

Ok, if I cannot create New Topic I have to ask my question here:
I have LG OLED TV which supports HDR HLG files. So internal TV players recognized MP4 files from my Mavic 2 pro well and plays it. But the problem is this TV has just 100Mb network. So 100+ Mb bitrate MP4 files from Mavic are played with microfreezes on TV. I decided to buy Mediaplayer which supports  HDR HLG. But made research and didn't find universal HDR HLG capable player on the market?
Probably it is just not advertised, and HDR support includes HLG as well? Can someone recommend me how to watch content from Mavic on HDR HLG capable TV please?
And regarding HDMI2.0b - is it really required for HLG to work through HDMI? Or HDMI2.0a is enough?
2018-11-1
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Turisto2000 Posted at 11-1 01:54
Hello,

Just registered on this forum to ask single question... And realized that I cannot ask this question because I have no points!

For the LG series OLED TV - anything made from 2016 onwards will play HLG content if the firmware is updated. Network speed has no influence whatsoever on the ability to play back such media. The TV is more than capable of reading from a micro-SD card. You play the material by plugging in the card into a USB reader. Playing the content through an external player doesn't give the same (brilliant) results
2018-12-4
Use props
Joe Lee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108442 ft
Hong Kong

I tried Dlog-m & HLG.  I thought Dlog was to be 10bit 422 HDR, but get info on the file doesn’t state that,  so I’m confused which is capable of what features.

Dlog-M is 10bit 420 SDR. In other words, it is 10-bit REC. 709
2019-4-8
Use props
Joe Lee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108442 ft
Hong Kong

I tried Dlog-m & HLG.  I thought Dlog was to be 10bit 422 HDR, but get info on the file doesn’t state that,  so I’m confused which is capable of what features.

HLG is 10bit 420 HDR. In other words, it is 10-bit REC. 2020  HLG (standard: ARIB STD-B67)
2019-4-8
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Joe Lee Posted at 2019-4-8 19:43
HLG is 10bit 420 HDR. In other words, it is 10-bit REC. 2020  HLG (standard: ARIB STD-B67)

Hi Joe,

I realize this topic might be old, hope you might be still watching it or get notifications. I have recently purchased Mavic 3 Cine. Unfortunately currently the drone does not support HLG, and it seems for 10 bit HDR video the only option is 10 bit Dlog 422 recorded in rec.709 color space.
Joe, wanted to ask you if you maybe know some good tools out there for seamless Dlog 10 bit to HLG 10 bit rec.2020 or any other transfer function as long as it's rec.2020 . I have Davinci Resolve Studio and I am trying to find some a seamless way of transcoding Dlog to rec.2020 HDR broadcast ready color space, such as 10 bit HLG. If you could possibly suggest if there are some products out there for easy transcoding to 10 bit HLG / PG rec.2020 or possibly some software / code that exists to be used in DCTLs (Davinci Resolve) , 3d LUTS, or Adobe Premier or any other software out there. Joe, also wanted to ask you if the Dlog on Mavic 3 is similar to Inspire 2 Zenmuse X7 camera (based on DJi's published whitepaper on Dlog in Mavic 3 section), if that is the case, thinking there might be some tools out there for Zenmuse x7 camera for easy Dlog transcoding.

Thank you in advance, Mike.
2022-3-12
Use props
Pegasos
lvl.2
France

Joe Lee Posted at 2019-4-8 19:09
Dlog-M is 10bit 420 SDR. In other words, it is 10-bit REC. 709

Not correct, at least not entirely. D-LOG-M is a proprietary format issued by DJI and has a colour gamut (or colour space) that is larger than Rec.709 but a lot smaller than the one HLG is using. Basically, recording in D-LOG-M 10bit allows for 1 billion colours to be captured, BUT since it is a proprietary format and it does not record any colour space information into the metadata of the recorded video files, there is no editing software (NLE) out there that successfully recognises D-LOG-M footage in order to allow it to be edited whilst PRESERVING those 1 billion colours! Indeed, the "usual" workflow used by editors of D-LOG-M footage is to open it in a Rec.709 colour space, which effectively means throwing away 1 billion minus 16 million colours (as the Rec.709 colour gamut/space only contains 16 million colours)... Try filming in HLG and learn how to post-process (edit) white balance, colours, contrast, luminosity etc. in an NLE and see for yourself the difference in quality between D-LOG-M and HLG on an HDR monitor or OLED TV... D-LOG-M will not survive long as it is a proprietary standard. HLG however is becoming a standard fast.
2023-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules