How to retrieve his S/N when your drone is stolen?
1676 11 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
h4mzt3r
lvl.1
Flight distance : 329472 ft
Réunion

Hi guys,

I get robbed this afternoon and the police station is asking me the S/N of my Mavic Pro.

Is there a way to get him with my email address? Is it possible to "block" my drone?

Thanks for your help
Best regards

Fred Christian
2018-9-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can find the serial number on the Mavic Pro box. If you don't have the box, you can upload one of your TXT flight logs here and find the serial number in the attached CSV file.

There is no way to block the drone. Nor will you be able to track it down online.
2018-9-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It's also printed outside on the box it was packed in.
2018-9-11
Use props
h4mzt3r
lvl.1
Flight distance : 329472 ft
Réunion

Hi guys,

thanks for you replies, infortunatly, i don't have the box, i bought the drone in China one year ago and drop the box to the trash. BUT... I'm a "not so smart guys", i cuted the SN and puted it... inside the shoulder bag...

I'll try to upload ASAP a TXT flight log, if i can get one with the DJI APP on IOS :/

2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Fred, we're sorry to know what happened to you. As for the serial number, you may write an email to support@dji.com through the email address which you used for activating this drone, the designated team will check and see whether the SN can be provided. BTW, the drone cannot be blocked, sorry about this.
2018-9-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-11 19:02
Hi Fred, we're sorry to know what happened to you. As for the serial number, you may write an email to  through the email address which you used for activating this drone, the designated team will check and see whether the SN can be provided. BTW, the drone cannot be blocked, sorry about this.

not being able to block a drone that is stolen is absolutely stupid..  as long as someone can verify they are the owners, there should be a way to block..  

the reason this is stupid is what if the person that stole it now flies it like a rogue drone and causes legal issues and traced back the owner causing them headaches... more than it is worth

what if the person that was willing to rob a person would also be willing to use that drone in some sort of attack..?   

are you guys at Dji seriously going to wait until legal threat against your company for a sales ban  because of the dangers of having easy to grab item and robberies on the rise.   because it is on the rise. and with no repercussions from dji or police, its only going to become more and more of a thing much more rapidly.  in fact, i was on local market place and i found several drones that were previously stolen.. not including remotes, chargers, etc etc..or having someone else's name on the battery...  then you ask them questions only a real mavic owner would know they dont have any idea how to answer you..
2018-9-11
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-11 20:06
not being able to block a drone that is stolen is absolutely stupid..  as long as someone can verify they are the owners, there should be a way to block..  

the reason this is stupid is what if the person that stole it now flies it like a rogue drone and causes legal issues and traced back the owner causing them headaches... more than it is worth

Horrible idea. I have done everything I can to keep DJI's control out of my drone. No way would I allow them to block my drone even if stolen. screw that I would rather give it away if that was the case. Think about what you are asking. A better option would be the ability to TRACK it if it was stolen.. tied to your DJI account or something. Like you can do with smart phones and certain cars etc.
2018-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nobody can fly the drone under the same persons account they stole it from, they would first have to open a new account before they could fly the drone, thus now all flights would be down to new account holder.
With regards to blocking, I suppose if someone got hold of SN’s, what’s to stop them from getting these blocked, so while it should be possible to put something in place, I don’t believe it’s as simand straight forward.
2018-9-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-14 08:45
Nobody can fly the drone under the same persons account they stole it from, they would first have to open a new account before they could fly the drone, thus now all flights would be down to new account holder.
With regards to blocking, I suppose if someone got hold of SN’s, what’s to stop them from getting these blocked, so while it should be possible to put something in place, I don’t believe it’s as simand straight forward.

thats the only issue i can think of is having to prove rightful ownership..  but i can imagine something can be done.

maybe again similar to iOS situation where can be locked to the account and if your going to sell it you have to unlink it.. maybe simple way is in the app have a toggle like "lock my aircraft to my account" . and if you wish to relink you cant do it remotely, have to have the drone connected..    then if someone picks it up, tries to fly it it will be blocked and locked..    same with someone trying to sell it off.. have to prove its unlocked aircraft first, or for parts and worth a lot less.   then when done and ready to sell it, have a simple button in the app with drone connected... "reset aircraft to factory" then it ask "reset all settings?"  then after that it could ask "remove the aircraft from account?"  

there will be a learning curve if they implement this idea, obviously mistakes will get made but it is part of the system.. happened with ios and android systems where initially was some problems with people selling locked items without realizing ... now it is far less likely and more uncommon it happens.. and the devices for sale that are locked, tend to be valued so low wouldn't be worth the risk of stealing..  so yes it will take time but...if dji impliments it correctly and in a smart easy way..  wont take too long..

2018-9-14
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

They are not going to do it.
Too much hassle trust me.

Fly safe everyone
Alex
2018-9-14
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

I like your idea HereForTheBeer
2018-9-15
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Sorry to hear you were robbed, I would think if they use the DJI App and the logs get uploaded that they would be able to see the S/N. Also if they download and do an FW update the S/N would show up.  
2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules