o(^-^)o
AirButterflyDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Azerbaijan

what is it A geomagnetic storm ?
tempesta solare.jpg

A geomagnetic storm is a major disturbance of Earth's magnetosphere that occurs when there is a very efficient exchange of energy from the solar wind into the space environment surrounding Earth.

These storms result from variations in the solar wind that produces major changes in the currents, plasmas, and fields in Earth’s magnetosphere.
The solar wind conditions that are effective for creating geomagnetic storms are sustained (for several to many hours) periods of high-speed solar wind, and most importantly, a southward directed solar wind magnetic field (opposite the direction of Earth’s field) at the dayside of the magnetosphere.

This condition is effective for transferring energy from the solar wind into Earth’s magnetosphere.

Why it is so relevant on Drone field ?

During storms, the currents in the ionosphere, as well as the energetic particles that precipitate into the ionosphere add energy in the form of heat that can increase the density and distribution of density in the upper atmosphere, causing extra drag on satellites in low-earth orbit.

The local heating also creates strong horizontal variations in the in the ionospheric density that can modify the path of radio signals and create errors in the positioning information provided by GPS. When solar activity causes a magnetic storm, the drone's GPS capabilities may be disturbed or even not working

While the storms create beautiful aurora, they also can disrupt navigation systems such as the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and create harmful geomagnetic induced currents (GICs) in the power grid and pipelines

GeomagneticStormAurora.png

How we can prevent problems from that issue ?
1st the best way is to keep under control the weather solar storm conditionthere are so many service , in internet and or by Application in ours devices ...

2nd for sure , could be better to avoid any set up or gps calibration during a solar storm

3rd You should know how to fly in ATTI mode or without the help of GPS.
Any test without GPS help  is a great trainer and it will give us capacity and improve ours immediate response when we are in need

4th keep a Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS)

Even if the fancier versions use two frequencies, which can cancel out many inaccuracies ,
like new DJI Drone that uses both GPS and GLONASS so you pick up many satellites.
The dual satellite system also assists with precision flying and safety
but my opinion still ,  could be much better to keep a Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) operations
this allows us to always have an accurate control and to be able to easily intervene in case of problems
moreover, in many regions VLOS is mandatory, especially for amateurs, hobby pilots

phantom 4.jpg
FlightAutonomy 2.0 is the name for the DJI integrated system of sensors, algorithms and advanced VIO technology for the DJI Drone to sense it’s surroundings and take action based on what is senses
In general terms, VIO or Visual Inertial Odometry technology fuses information from a camera and inertial sensors, specifically gyroscopes and accelerometers, to accurately estimate device position without relying on GNSS systems.
Now, the DJI uses advanced VIO technology in its powerful sensor system FlightAutonomy 2.0.  
This consists of a primary gimbal camera, forward, backward, downward dual vision sensors, downward infrared sensing system, IMU redundancies and a group of computing cores.
Together, they collect information from the surrounding environment and transmit it to the high performance processor for more precise hovering and better flight performance
The Downward Vision System helps DJI Drone to maintain its current location. It can hover in place very precisely.  
The Downward Vision System also allows the quadcopter to fly indoors or other environments where their is no GPS signal

Personal considerations:
dual GPS, dual IMU and dual Magnetometer (compass) can give us, redundancy so that potentially things are more reliable since if one fails, drone system have a back up.
Altitude information coming from barometer , the solid state barometers used have a resolution of around 10cm so are pretty accurate (but can still fail)

In any case , in this way DJI cannot give true redundancy which requires three of each module.
system used on supply vessel offshore where is mandatory DP3 system in place.
That way a comparison can be made between each of the three and if one starts giving differing data to the other two it can be switched out by the system to keep a true and safe control

but surely improved it through the algoritm , where DJI would have written  into the flight controller system,  that will check data coming from the accelerometers and gyros and barometres and visual sensors  whilst comparing the attitude of the aircraft with correlation to gps ,so  when two are not in agree, the erroneous IMU would be ignored

Having said that, to date, no manufacturer (including DJI) have built a platform that has no single point of failure -  even the level of military craft. Even they can crash
they will come but as yet nobody has achieved it (and certainly it's really difficult )
honestly , I have to admit even that, in my experience gained ,
it's very difficult or almost impossile to have a fly-away or a drone lost event when we fly in respect of basilary rules,
like pre and post ispection , check list pre flight , planning ,vlos , test, training

This is my personal reflection about last solar storm and this my post want to be only a point of reflection where we can talk abou it .

I hope you find it usefoul
Alex
ww.airbutterflydrone.com

phantom 4.jpg
2018-9-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant thread mate - thanks for posting  
2018-9-28
Use props
AirButterflyDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

thank you, I'm glad you found it interesting ...

Before I left out this particular aspect
but I must say that it can happen ... unfortunately ...
and could be the cause of a FlyAway or in any case of a problem

so I find it useful, give a look ... even this type of forecasts

thanks for your comment so positive
2018-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules