Tips on improving range in the city?
3118 23 2018-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CobraArtRo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 868031 ft
Romania

Hello, from Romania. This is the first drone i have and have done with it about 100 km, most of them are outside of the city and places with  no people. Now that i got used to it, i want to explore more inside the city, but i have some issues with image lost signal and controll over the bird. I have a remote controller, paired with an OTG cable, i know how to read the minimap and point the controller in the right direction so i get most of my signal to the drone. Outside of the city i run on custom wifi settings, on 2,4ghz and looking for the channel with less interference, but in the city the 2,4ghz is no go, because of the interference from wifi routers and so on, and if i switch to 5,8ghz on auto i can’t go only for about 150m in a streight line and at 180m tops, if i go past those  numbers i lose image control, the image response to my smartphone is way off and very laggy.
Am i doing somthing wrong? Outside of the city i do not encounter this time of stuff.
2018-9-12
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi,

Do not fly a drone in the city. Even with the relaxed drone flying rules in Romania (300m altitude allowed!), its dangerous to do so. You already found out, how evil interference in populated areas can be so your aircraft can get lost easily.

If more and more people ignore the rules, media and politicians jump on it trying to almost ban our cool hobby, as in Austria or Canada. I don't want that to happen!
Please also spread the word to your friends who do drone flying as a hobby also.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-9-13
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try to get a good vantage point. I've had good and bad luck from parking structures. Sometimes they have too much metal to fly safely from. But others I've flown from with great range and transmision with my Mavic Air. Otherwise a hill would be ideal.
2018-9-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

It depends a lot if you are in CE mode or FCC mode.

P.s. I would not fly in the city if I was you. ( well maybe it’s acceptable in Romania but I highly doubt it.)

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-13
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Belgium

Wolferl Posted at 2018-9-13 00:06
Hi,

Do not fly a drone in the city. Even with the relaxed drone flying rules in Romania (300m altitude allowed!), its dangerous to do so. You already found out, how evil interference in populated areas can be  so your aircraft can get lost easily.

Hi.. Not banned in Canada. I fly almost everyday.
2018-9-13
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

be very aware of flying in the city,, better off back in the country side where you have been happily flying,,
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. However for a better understanding, please take time to watch the video below for antennas best practices. Have a safe flight always.

2018-9-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-9-13 00:11
Try to get a good vantage point. I've had good and bad luck from parking structures. Sometimes they have too much metal to fly safely from. But others I've flown from with great range and transmision with my Mavic Air. Otherwise a hill would be ideal.

Great advice
2018-9-13
Use props
CobraArtRo
lvl.4
Romania

Hello, i want to stick to the rules, i dont want to go past them. Thank you for the advice. I will fly safe in the city and try to look for a vantage point. With all do respect,take care!
2018-9-13
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Blow on it
2018-9-13
Use props
CobraArtRo
lvl.4
Romania

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-13 01:42
It depends a lot if you are in CE mode or FCC mode.

P.s. I would not fly in the city if I was you. ( well maybe it’s acceptable in Romania but I highly doubt it.)

Can you explain a little more to me what if CE and FCC mode, please?
2018-9-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

CobraArtRo Posted at 2018-9-13 10:09

The signal strength is much stronger and distance is much longer in FCC mode.
When in fcc you will see 11 channels on the graph in the 2.4ghz range (numbers from 1 to 11), if you are in ce then you will see channels from 1 to 13.
I got 3 km one way with my spark the other day in FCC mode.
Check on YouTube spark fcc mode, there are many videos.

Fly safe all
Alex
2018-9-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

FCC mode is in the U.S. and Canada and CE mode is Europe and the rest of the world.

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

CobraArtRo Posted at 2018-9-13 10:09

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-romania/

Check the laws regarding operating drones in Romania.
It’s not allowed to fly in cities without authorization from the aviation authority.

Fly safely all
Alex
2018-9-13
Use props
CobraArtRo
lvl.4
Romania

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-13 10:16
The signal strength is much stronger and distance is much longer in FCC mode.
When in fcc you will see 11 channels on the graph in the 2.4ghz range (numbers from 1 to 11), if you are in ce then you will see channels from 1 to 13.
I got 3 km one way with my spark the other day in FCC mode.

Will do,thank you!
2018-9-14
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

You are welcome

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-14
Use props
CobraArtRo
lvl.4
Romania

Yup,  switch to FCC mode, its a huge difference. I have much ,much better control of the drone. Sweet ass tits. Take care!
2018-9-19
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Austria

Quade Posted at 2018-9-13 02:44
Hi.. Not banned in Canada. I fly almost everyday.

Right, not yet, but I'm afraid drone flying will be banned some time in the future. Because its evil

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-10-6
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

spark just doesn't do well in areas where there are a lot of wifis interfering. above them from an elevated area is your best area to fly. but still try to maintain line of sight, in case you get severe video lag.
2018-10-6
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

lots of interference in urban areas , keep her close and within line of sight. don't want her to go down on you......and not be found
2018-10-6
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Wolferl Posted at 2018-10-6 10:18
Right, not yet, but I'm afraid drone flying will be banned some time in the future. Because its evil

Cheers,

Hi... our rules are under review this year, its looking positive that some of the proposed restrictions that would have crushed us are reputed to be relaxed once they come down later this year.  We shall see.  Personally, I keep away from people and houses, buildings as much as possible.  I have only flown in an urban setting twice, and was careful to pick places where I would not be noticed, or place others at any risk.  But thats just me.  I am also lucky to own a large country property.
2018-10-6
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

I noticed that by putting on the cheap plastic parabolic range extenders,
The quality of the signal is greatly improved when flying in urban settings!

Happy flyin all
Alex
2018-10-6
Use props
DecemB
lvl.1
Thailand

CobraArtRo Posted at 2018-9-19 09:35
Yup,  switch to FCC mode, its a huge difference. I have much ,much better control of the drone. Sweet ass tits. Take care!

How to you switch to FCC mode ? Can Dji Go 4 app do it? Thank you in advance.
2018-10-8
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Austria

DecemB Posted at 2018-10-8 23:20
How to you switch to FCC mode ? Can Dji Go 4 app do it? Thank you in advance.

Google for "DJI Go 4 MOD 2.0" app.
There several thread on this forum too.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules