Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has anyone tried shooting without the front filter installed?
1509 21 2018-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Diesel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

Posted in another forum as well:

With all these image tests being performed, has anyone tried to shoot without the front filter installed? It's just a protective filter correct?  If yes, the images should be sharper and more contrasty without it.

You would be risking damage to the actual lens without the filter...but hey, just like DSLR's, anytime you add a filter in front of the lens it affects sharpness, contrast, color, etc...

Who's willing to give this a shot? We all might reveal some pleasing results without the filter?

2018-9-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It's a UV filter and please, you are very welcome to go ahead with your suggested test! Looking forward to see the results... ;-)
2018-9-13
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-13 14:47
It's a UV filter and please, you are very welcome to go ahead with your suggested test! Looking forward to see the results... ;-)

Does this mean the filter is functional other than a UV filter?  I don't use UV filters on any of my DSLR lenses unless I'm shooting something like motocross where the lens is getting roosted with rocks/sand/etc.
2018-9-13
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-13 14:47

With your response it would appear you might know that the front filter is more than just a protective filter to protect the lens.....but if you did know, why wouldn't you just state the facts and prevent someone from wasting their time?

Since you haven't responded it sounds like maybe you probably don't know for sure, and just wanted to be a smart aleck.

If it's just a protective filter and the lens is coated, there should be no issue with flying without the filter other than exposing the lens to the elements and risking damage to it.  If it meant better IQ, I would take that risk.  

So please tell us, what do you know about the front filter?
2018-9-13
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Without it, the gimbal would be out of balance and tax the tilt motor.
Camera would be back heavy.
I wouldn't risk it.
2018-9-13
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.3
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-9-13 16:17
Without it, the gimbal would be out of balance and tax the tilt motor.
Camera would be back heavy.
I wouldn't risk it.

I thought about that but I'm not sure it's heavy enough to affect the gimbal.  I'll just do some testing myself when I have time.
2018-9-13
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-9-13 16:23
I thought about that but I'm not sure it's heavy enough to affect the gimbal.  I'll just do some testing myself when I have time.

This is a great thread. Please post the results of your tests
2018-9-13
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Just say NO!
2018-9-13
Use props
Bioluminous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83638 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown without the front installed. The gimbal works just as if there was a filter installed. I think the weight of the filter is so small that the gimbal really doesn't notice anything. I did not notice any change in image quality. I also taped an ND filter (plastic sheet - not glass) over the lens with the filter removed while I wait for the actual ND filters to be released.
2018-9-13
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.3

Bioluminous Posted at 2018-9-13 20:31
I have flown without the front installed. The gimbal works just as if there was a filter installed. I think the weight of the filter is so small that the gimbal really doesn't notice anything. I did not notice any change in image quality. I also taped an ND filter (plastic sheet - not glass) over the lens with the filter removed while I wait for the actual ND filters to be released.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the same thing but I got my ND filters today.  I'll be flying my M2P  "naked" without the front filter  unless I have a reason to install protect it from extreme elements.
2018-9-13
Use props
stefgo
First Officer
Flight distance : 5081736 ft

On my P4 pro, to increase image quality and to reduce flare effect I always shooted without the front filter installed. Now with the mavic 2 pro with front filter results are better than P4pro without it !
Contrast and sharpness are good and flare not to bad. The main problem for me is the excess of noise. Anyway the result is necessary better without the front filter but honestly it is not very noticeable. Maybe less flare with the sun in front.
2018-9-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-9-13 15:47
With your response it would appear you might know that the front filter is more than just a protective filter to protect the lens.....but if you did know, why wouldn't you just state the facts and prevent someone from wasting their time?

Since you haven't responded it sounds like maybe you probably don't know for sure, and just wanted to be a smart aleck.

I don't know more than I have written, you just didn't get my little joke. But I would assume that flying without the UV filter does not do any harm and picture quality would not suffer. The advantage having it is a good protection for the lens against any physical impacts and for keeping it clean.
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. As we all know, UV filters are individual compounds or mixtures that block or absorb ultraviolet light. UV filters are used in sunscreens to protect skin or in photography to reduce the level of ultraviolet light that strikes the recording medium. UV filters can undergo transformation into less protective or more toxic products. Thank you.
2018-9-14
Use props
Bioluminous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83638 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not entirely certain the filter installed on the M2 is actually filtering anything other than dust. Is it a UV filter? I don't see any differences between using it and not. But the admins explanation of UV filters about how they can transform into less protective or more toxic products is a bit confusing. I mean, if just the filter can transform into a toxic product, my drone has the potential of transforming into a...sheesh, I am looking at it differently now.
2018-9-14
Use props
ygrabo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543097 ft
United Kingdom

How many of you guys had enough damage on the front filter that it needed to be replaced (and the camera didn't)?
Like actually...
2018-9-14
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

ygrabo Posted at 2018-9-14 09:03
How many of you guys had enough damage on the front filter that it needed to be replaced (and the camera didn't)?
Like actually...

Always had a filter on so it never had a chance to happen, actually.

What ever is on there is going to need to be cleaned it will be much easier to clean a filter sitting out front than the actual recessed camera lens.  Can actually take the filter off to thoroughly wash and clean it.

Cleaning can lead to scratches if not done carefully.  I would rather replace a scratched filter than the  expensive camera on the M2  
2018-9-14
Use props
ygrabo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sure, but at the end of the day, despite all the cleaning, handling, flying with a fully exposed piece of glass, have you (or most others) ever needed to replace it.
When you mess with the filter to the point that it needs replacement, chances are the camera does as well, especially on a drone.
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fingers crossed you don't scratch the lens...
2018-9-14
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

ygrabo Posted at 2018-9-14 10:36
Sure, but at the end of the day, despite all the cleaning, handling, flying with a fully exposed piece of glass, have you (or most others) ever needed to replace it.
When you mess with the filter to the point that it needs replacement, chances are the camera does as well, especially on a drone.

I will never find out; have yet to hear a good reason to chance it.

Plus unless flying at night or only taking photos a ND is needed for those that care about the 180 degree rule..  All my daytime footage will be with a ND installed now that I have them.
2018-9-14
Use props
ygrabo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Good reason? Less flares or haziness when flying against the sun.

Oh yeah for sure, an ND is something completely different, I fly with one of them 75% of the time I guess
2018-9-14
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
United States

ygrabo Posted at 2018-9-14 14:27
Good reason? Less flares or haziness when flying against the sun.

Oh yeah for sure, an ND is something completely different, I fly with one of them 75% of the time I guess

Except at night, NDs are the only way to film within180 degree rule without pushing at or past F8.

I can't see ever not having an ND on during the day.
2018-9-14
Use props
ygrabo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

People also use it to take pictures, I heard

But in any case, the OP was talking about the original front UV filter, and people were commenting about protection of the lens. I refer to that.
2018-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules