Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Convincing myself not to upgrade.
1007 16 2018-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJKOR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Just thought I would share a photo I took yesterday. I'm no photographer but once I stitched this one together, I had surpised myself at how it turned out.

Newstead Gasworks, Brisbane, Australia. 5 Image vertical stitch from AEB photos, processed in Lightroom.

I keep seeing photos from those with a Mavic 2 Pro and keep wanting to upgrade my Mavic Air just so I can have the better camera hardware. The extra flight time would be a pretty neat bonus as well. I then ask myself, do I really need the better camera if this drone is really just for personal use. Is it worth sacrificing the porability of the Air.

Then I go out and take some photos with mine and some turn out alright... some not so alright. I end up still wanting the Mavic 2 Pro.

But then I go out and take something like this and realise I just need to work on my skills. Something about this photo just worked out well. I'm thinking it must have been the lighting. Either way, it shows I have a lot to learn about taking great photos.

So for now, I am quite satisfied with my Mavic Air and while an upgrade would be nice, I think this model will stay with me for a while. Unless of course they build the Pro's camera into this form factor.

20180914_03 copy.jpg
2018-9-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice Shot
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning shot!   
2018-9-15
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

This is awesome. Lovely colors, comp and detail. That MA is doing very well for what it has camera wise.
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Fantastic shot, thank you very much! One can achieve excellent results with Mavic Air and bad ones with Mavic 2 Pro, it largely depends on the skills of the photographer in my opinion.
2018-9-15
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Excellent shot. Looks outstanding
2018-9-15
Use props
Gregbella
Captain
Australia

Looks good to me great shot
2018-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cameras don’t make good photographs, cameras make files, people make good photos. Good job.
2018-9-15
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even with the best camera, you can go out and get mixed results from a shoot or flight. This has turned out damn near perfect to my eye. The colours and lighting are spot on. Be interesting to try and duplicate the type of shot on the neon purple bridge in the background. The perspective leads the eye nicely. Very good job.
2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, we thank you for sharing your skills and with this photo, you really nailed it. Have a safe flight always.
2018-9-15
Use props
0Kajuna0
Captain
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Getting to know the strong and weak points of your camera will turn you into a much better photographer than just using a more expensive one.

If you still need help convincing yourself, this might help you:
2018-9-15
Use props
DJKOR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Thanks guys. I guess my whole thought process behind the Mavic 2 Pro comes from back when I just had a basic point and shoot (Sony T series, that slim form factor) and moved to an RX100. I was purely using it for auto mode point-and-shoot. No mater how little effort I put into taking photos, it would always make them look so much better. Without knowing the technical details of how it all worked, I figured there had to be something to do with the 1 inch sensor. All the photos would have that SLR look to them. This then just extended to my thoughts about the new Mavic 2 Pro in that having the better hardware would equate to a higher probability of getting better photos.

But then that was all with auto mode photos. Now all my drone photos are taken AEB with processing done in Lightroom so it's probably a different scenario now.
2018-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great work!
2018-9-15
Use props
Captain Mal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

That's a beautiful shot! I have both the Mavic Air and Pro 2. The Air can get some stunning photos and video for sure. To me, the biggest impact the Pro 2 has had on me so far isn't the visual quality. For me, it's the signal strength and flight time. The Air is a great drone, but I always found myself having to worry about flight time and signal strength even if going 1 mile away. I don't worry about that at all on the MP2. The total longest distance traveled I ever got on my Air was just over 15,000 feet and the battery was below 15% when I landed. Today, on only my 5th flight on my MP2. I went 21,100 total feet on one flight. I know I can do quite a bit more because I was hovering for a while taking photos and video. If you're happy with flight distance and time of the Air, I would stick with it for a while.
2018-9-15
Use props
MagicRide
First Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

0Kajuna0 Posted at 2018-9-15 04:15
Getting to know the strong and weak points of your camera will turn you into a much better photographer than just using a more expensive one.

If you still need help convincing yourself, this might help you:

I wanted to see a video like yours because my eyes were simply not buying the hype about the 1" sensor, or at least I expected more out of that sensor and that camera. The resolution and the quality is just not there as advertised.  Now I understand why the Mavic 2 pro does not measure up to it's specs, and like you say I think a lot of people buy it based on those specs only without really taking a look at the quality. All the comparisons I've seen only show that the Hasselblad camera is slightly better than the Zoom, Pro 1 or the Air. Thank you for your explanation. By the way the Phamtom 4 pro v2 is absolutely incredible and I've seen the difference clearly, unfortunately it is just too large for me to carry around and what my needs are.
2018-9-15
Use props
0Kajuna0
Captain
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

MagicRide Posted at 2018-9-15 11:24
I wanted to see a video like yours because my eyes were simply not buying the hype about the 1" sensor, or at least I expected more out of that sensor and that camera. The resolution and the quality is just not there as advertised.  Now I understand why the Mavic 2 pro does not measure up to it's specs, and like you say I think a lot of people buy it based on those specs only without really taking a look at the quality. All the comparisons I've seen only show that the Hasselblad camera is slightly better than the Zoom, Pro 1 or the Air. Thank you for your explanation. By the way the Phamtom 4 pro v2 is absolutely incredible and I've seen the difference clearly, unfortunately it is just too large for me to carry around and what my needs are.

Thanks. Not my video though
2018-9-15
Use props
MagicRide
First Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Here's another video from Originaldobo concerning the picture quality of the Mavic 2 pro.
2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules