Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M2P 4k C-130 Take-Off, Crash, and Recovery!
1091 14 2018-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Clickbait title is Clickbait (but accurate)!
I was filming C-130's performing touch-n-go's and take off and landings today. I got this incredible manual tracking shot along with a heck of a crash and just had to share it.

Disclaimers:

This is my first time editing a video.
First time trying a shot like this.
Fourth time flying a drone.
I was 1.5 miles from the airport.
I notified the tower traffic controller before taking off and he was visually watching my drone during this shot.
The C-130 pilot knew my precise location (which is one reason he turned towards me).

Filmed in Dlog H.265 manual (f5.6). Slightly adjusted saturation, warmth, and shadows. No sharpening or noise reduction then exported into the Premiere Pro Youtube 4k (H.264) preset. No ND filters yet so just stock UV filter in place.

Despite the collision, the Mavic 2 Pro returned home completely undamaged.

2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Nice video, thank you! Next time watch out for obstacles located sidewards ;-)
2018-9-15
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-15 11:15
Nice video, thank you! Next time watch out for obstacles located sidewards ;-)

Yeah... I was 100ft up and thought I was above the highest trees.
2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Please fly with caution to avoid any damage. Have a safe flight
2018-9-15
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

You got lucky!!  Great video. Flying sideways is risky, even with the new cameras.
2018-9-15
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

You were very lucky
2018-9-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wait a second.  where'd the plane go??????

OH,  there it is...............     Nice save......as we always say at the local field...  STICK WITH IT TILL THE END!!!

Nice save!

Randy
2018-9-15
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3
United States

So...where were all the top, bottom, rear & side sensors while Mr. Mavic was busy crashing? Missing In Action, I suppose.
2018-9-15
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-15 16:00
Wait a second.  where'd the plane go??????

OH,  there it is...............     Nice save......as we always say at the local field...  STICK WITH IT TILL THE END!!!

Ha! I was actually saying to myself over and over, "Oh crap, where's the plane?!" because in my rush to recover the aircraft I shot up to about 200 feet after advising the tower I wouldn't be over 100. I was afraid the C-130 pilot might make a hard bank to the right to showboat a bit so what you don't see is me dropping the Mavic to 20 feet in sport mode to clear the airspace just in case.
2018-9-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good onya for thinking that far ahead!!  

I was giggling, all the while hoping you didn't just shoot up to HIGH altitude.........  

Randy
2018-9-15
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3
United States

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-15 16:32
Ha! I was actually saying to myself over and over, "Oh crap, where's the plane?!" because in my rush to recover the aircraft I shot up to about 200 feet after advising the tower I wouldn't be over 100. I was afraid the C-130 pilot might make a hard bank to the right to showboat a bit so what you don't see is me dropping the Mavic to 20 feet in sport mode to clear the airspace just in case.

Maybe choose other venues for your next few flights, you think?
2018-9-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. Fly safe
2018-9-15
Use props
RoNNy379CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

Great footage, to bad that sensors are deactivated in sport mode. I filmed myself in the car last week, only on descend speed and drone normal speed mode. Backwards the M2 registered a wall and hard stops perfectly. My Hearth beat was a little higher as normal - for thrust the sensors

Fly safe,

BR, Ron
2018-9-15
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
United States

RoNNy379CH Posted at 2018-9-15 22:36
Great footage, to bad that sensors are deactivated in sport mode. I filmed myself in the car last week, only on descend speed and drone normal speed mode. Backwards the M2 registered a wall and hard stops perfectly. My Hearth beat was a little higher as normal - for thrust the sensors

Fly safe,

I was in P Mode, but I was going full speed laterally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought that the side sensors only worked in certain intelligent flight modes. I'm pretty sure the top sensor was not working in this mode as well because I was clearly in the trees with branches above me and I could still climb straight up.
2018-9-16
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
United States

sinloi Posted at 2018-9-15 18:00
Maybe choose other venues for your next few flights, you think?

Where's the fun in that?!

All kidding aside, I did take flight safety very seriously as I was in constant communication with the tower controller and ensured the Air Force pilot was aware of my plan and exact position. I have no qualms about shutting down my drone mid-air and sacrificing it to protect human life. Judging by the controller's reaction, I'd be surprised if there are many hobby drone pilots who take these steps (even though US law requires it). The controller was surprised at my phone call and the caliber and scope of information that I provided to him, giving me the impression that this is a rare occurrence.
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules