Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Shielding Pad?
5741 37 2014-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious, since we are seeing the new shielding pad on the new Phantom 2 Vision+ model, and there are many of us with the old Vision+ model still suffering from the GPS problem, can we get a replacement process underway that will enable us to receive the new pad?
I would first ask that it be shipped to us free of charge, as correcting this in the new model is a great thing, but it doesn;t help those of us with the defective older model.

Please, please, please respond to this. And I would request you not give us the standard response of "Please call a certified DJI servicer."

Thank you.

New shielding

New shielding
2014-11-5
Use props
dieterste36
lvl.2

Germany

You can make a cheap by you self: http://www.kopterforum.de/topic/ ... essert/#entry279064

Translated by goggle languange tool:

For an older Phantom 2 I have the Schirmungspappe made of a cardboard chocolate kisses. The square box of the "Dickmann's" is particularly suitable for this.

One side is made of cardboard and the other side is coated with aluminum. The material is thin and light.

Disassemble the box, place the lid or bottom flat on the table. Remove the lid from Phantom and place on the board of "Dickmann's box" and mark.
Then cut 3mm smaller than marked out.
So cut that the part fits into the lid of the Phantom's under the GPS module without blocking the vents.

A piece of flexible cable 0.7 cm long from isolate 2 to 1.5 mm² cross section cables. From the insulated portion of the cable clamps with a "spider" coated on the aluminum side.
The other side of the cable to the negative terminal of the battery terminal solder. Attach the shield then the cover under the GPS module, with the aluminum side of the GPS module, with some double-sided tape
2014-11-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cheaper than Free? And better than one designed by the manufacturer? Well, maybe. But I still think they should provide these to us free of charge.
2014-11-5
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

dieterste36 Posted at 2014-11-6 03:54
You can make a cheap by you self: http://www.kopterforum.de/topic/19605-neues-model-vision-abschirmu ...

I think your missing the point here.
I agree you could open her up, do some research, purchase a few cheap bits and do it yourself.
But I think the point Tony and several others are trying to make is expecting adequate customer support.

I've done quite a few mods for my Phantom but to make a standard, advertised feature work for an out-the-box solution by modding it yourself doesn't instil confidence in your product.
This is another chance for DJI to flex their support muscle. Show their sincerity and gratitude to the customers that have made them what they are today.
A simple, replaceable shield like the one in the OP probably costs dimes to make but would have a great impact on DJI's dwindling support reputation.

I don't own a Vision+ and have had no problems with my Phantom 2, but the ATTENTION DJI MANAGEMENT thread has helped me understand a lot of support issues people are dealing with.
2014-11-5
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Well said guys i 100% agree with this but not only did they fit a bigger pad but they also fitted ferrites to the camera cables .
2014-11-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-11-6 04:51
I think your missing the point here.
I agree you could open her up, do some research, purchase a f ...

Not to mention this pad would easily fit in a nice manila envelope and very easily be shipped anywhere in the world for a few dollars.
2014-11-5
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Well said Tony! I agree with you 100%. DJI by the way I put up a post on this forum that has well over 1,400 views and numerous posts responding to it from concerned / upset members of your consumer community. Not ONE response from your end. Come on that is ridiculous - here is the link to that thread . . . once again I am patiently awaiting your response DJI: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en
2014-11-5
Use props
johnkilcline
lvl.3

Portugal

has anyone with the "new" V3 phantom, lifted the new shield to see if the GPS unit has been upgraded?
2014-11-5
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I also see the cable has been sleeved with shielding as well up to the connector. a closer look at this photo reveals separate shielding pad underneath. Is this a double layered setup? Looks to be!
2014-11-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johnkilcline@gm Posted at 2014-11-6 06:30
has anyone with the "new" V3 phantom, lifted the new shield to see if the GPS unit has been upgraded ...

That is what this is a picture of. The GPS unit is the same but the cable has been re-routed, shielded, and the padding is now expanded, as pictured.I should clarify, we assume the GPS module is the same. Guess we shouldn't assume that. But no reason to believe it isn't.

2014-11-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rethuringer@icl Posted at 2014-11-6 07:19
I also see the cable has been sleeved with shielding as well up to the connector. a closer look at t ...

Just to let you know, this is not mine. I have the older version. This is a forum member's over on FB who was kind enough to open it up and post several photos.
2014-11-5
Use props
Bearlodgeonshee
lvl.1

United States

And to think that I could have waited for two months and not had to worry about solving this problem by myself.  I can not recommend this product to anyone because of it's unreliability which is apparently correctable.  I bought it for the video which I cannot use.  I live in a very mountainous area with borderline satellite connectability.  I am lucky on a good day to get six satellites and the video-drop problem just about insures that I cannot use the Phantom for video recording.  Thanks to Tony and all the others for their efforts, although they continue to fall on deaf ears.  As noted,  a simple set of instructions for the screw driver challenged and a inexpensive fix should be provided by the company that manufactured the device.  Not individually corrected by the customer.  I think that it may be time to report this to the consumer protection agency in my country.  The people responsible are conspicuously absent from this and we are preaching to a deaf choir so to say.
2014-11-6
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
United States

Like everyone else I am hoping that DJI extends us the respect we deserve and give us a free pass here. We have been the R&D here and it's only right that DJI reward all purchaser's a free upgrade here. DJI!!!! ARE YOU LISTENING?????.  i want the new stuff and i am more than capable of installing my self. So what say you DJI????? Are we all just blowing smoke here???

2014-11-6
Use props
cajuin
New

United States

rethuringer@icl Posted at 2014-11-7 07:24
Like everyone else I am hoping that DJI extends us the respect we deserve and give us a free pass he ...

Ask yourself this;  If you were DJI and knew the problem or believed you knew the problem would you(DJI)  provide a shield upgrade path(free or not) that may not actually FIX the problem?
ANSWER: No way!  
REASON: The part or design needs to be changed.  They are doing self preservation by not directly responding to information that is not correct.  
FAILURE: By NOT providing information up front with what they know they are killing their reputation and public confidence.
2014-11-8
Use props
cajuin
New

United States

cajuin@swbell.n Posted at 2014-11-9 03:57
Ask yourself this;  If you were DJI and knew the problem or believed you knew the problem would yo ...

This is my belief.  The shielding is needed because of a problem.  The shielding does not always solve the issue.  The problem is electrical interference generated by the drone itself.  The main board at the camera control area and camera are emitting interference on the FRV2+.  I believe this is due to the gimbal design or poor quality parts( likely parts).  The shielding helps the GPS unit provide a better signal due to the drones interference problems.  Don't believe me, lightly touch the gimbal when powered on your table.  What do you think that vibration feeling is doing electrically?
2014-11-8
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
United States

cajuin@swbell.n Posted at 2014-11-9 03:58
This is my belief.  The shielding is needed because of a problem.  The shielding does not always s ...

If that is true then maybe we need shielding around everything. something to explore me thinks.
2014-11-8
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
United States

cajuin@swbell.n Posted at 2014-11-9 03:57
Ask yourself this;  If you were DJI and knew the problem or believed you knew the problem would yo ...

Horesradish!!!!! I did a before and after evaluation of the GPS signal like many on this forum. For me, just by only placing the GPS cable under the factory shielding gained additional satellites over stock, same time same place. I did not add any (Yet) additional foil etc like others have but yet I now get consistently better reception than before the mod as do many others on this and other forums who have modified their shielding in various ways. This is the RED FLAG if you will that there is an issue and it seemed to take many DGI owners taking matters into their own hands that maybe sent a message to DJI that there is something  to look at and thus we see photos of better shielding of the GPS. Thats fine, just reward us with the fix. Many corporate companies have issues with products that surface after release to masses and that usually results in a Recall!! Shouldn't  that apply here?? i have purchased products that had such recalls and though minor, I was sent the part to self install, Granted this would not always be the case. Anyway I stand by my feelings about this matter and everyone else is entitled to take it however they want. Overall I think DJI has a great and successful product and wants to be there for its customers but it doesn't always feel like it.
2014-11-8
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Dji have proved that there is an issue by fitting extra sheilding and ferrites to the camera cables and who know's what else they have done  folks just want them to show a bit of decency and send out what ever parts are need to fix this issue  not too much  to ask is it !Or send out fix kits to dealers .
2014-11-8
Use props
r.rivers
lvl.1

Canada

I am in agreement with the request in the original post.
I also think a solution direct from DJI to consider at a reasonable cost a complete "upgrade" to the newer standard. While new models are one thing, fixes to a flawed model are another!
I believe many concerns have been addressed in the modifications. Another thread here is suggesting the new compass replacing one that originally plugged into the GPS unit now plugs into the main board.
A fair approach would be a special factory retrofit program!
2014-11-8
Use props
DJI -Technical
lvl.4

China

Hi all, sorry for the late reponse here.
For the units that suffered from GPS problem or satellite problem when videorecording starts, please send it back to your dealer, the dealer would send them back to DJI repair center for repair. The repair will be free.
For the shielding case request, we would suggest sending some as spare parts to DJI dealer to help the customers in need.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.
2014-11-9
Use props
mckcdr
lvl.1

United States

Humm and wait some 13 weeks for it to be returned.
2014-11-9
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
United States

DJI -Technical  Posted at 2014-11-9 23:41
For the units that suffered from GPS problem or satellite p ...

Sorry but I for one do not want to send in for repair, we all know how long that process takes. I wouldn't want to be without my bird for that long for something as simple as installing a improved shield something we are capable of doing ourself. DJI does not want any of us to crack open our birds so thus the standard issue "return to your dealer" response (IMHO). Thats ok, I have done and will continue to do my own mods and am so far satisfied with the results.
2014-11-9
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI -Technical  Posted at 2014-11-9 23:41
For the units that suffered from GPS problem or satellite p ...

Wait, I am not going to be without my unit for months just so you can place a sticky pad on the inside of my upper shell. THIS THREAD IS ASKING THAT YOU SEND THE STICKY PAD TO ME, NOT TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER.

You can not expect us to just willingly mail off our unit, on our dime, and then go without it for months at time, just so you can place a sticker on the shell, that we can do in no time at all.

This thing probably costs you a few dollars, and you can slip it into an envelope and mail to me for next to nothing. THIS IS A FRACTION OF THE COST THAT WOULDF BE BEARED BY MAILING THE ENTIRE PHANTOM BACK TO YOU AND YOU MAILING IT BACK TO ME.

Think about what you are saying, and please respond back with a more reasonable approach to fix this apparent and admitted problem. Please.
2014-11-9
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

One thing you all may be overlooking is the connectedness of the world wide web and the ability to rally an offensive and coordinate a class action. There are already mumblings of this on the forums. Now is your chance to make a public attempt to show an effort. To correct a problem. And to do it for an EXTREMELY MINIMAL COST.

The return shipping on one single Phantom that you send back to a customer after a GPS Sticker Shield placement, would more than cover 30 or 40 of the stickers being mailed out to 30 or 40 other customers. It just makes business sense.
2014-11-9
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

Personally I believe DJI should make the part available to those who wish to purchase it and only charge their cost for the part.  That way DJI does not incur a loss for the part and allows those that feel the need for the upgrade.  To ask DJI to send you this upgrade for free when your bird is out of warrantee is asking them to take a loss.  Maybe some think that's OK but I'm not one of them.  I am lucky, my bird will arrive tomorrow.  But if 20 months down the road there is a better part, I won't be expecting DJI to send me one free but I will be willing to pay for the cost of the "new, better" part.  Just my 2 cents.....
2014-11-9
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

HOW Difficult will it me to send a new shield to you very well trusted customers who own a DJI Phantom... They create a shield themselves so GPS will work, they don't blame DJI... So it will be very RUDE of DJI when they say: send it back, bla bla bla....

Send us every customer who contact DJI a new shield..... Otherwise you have develop your product better and test it better, then you didn't had this problem...

So where can i send my request, i will send my serial number of my bird to you DJI guys, then you can log what drone have a new shield and with one don't....

So let me know what email address i can use for my shield request!!!!
2014-11-9
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-11-10 02:31
Personally I believe DJI should make the part available to those who wish to purchase it and only ch ...

A) Not out of warranty

B) It is an admitted fault of the units they shipped

C) They have taken subsequent remedial measures to correct this fault in current models

D) It could be treated as a factory recall program, and issue the replacement parts based on serial number

E) We don't expect t them to actually make good on our requests, but if they do be sure to let them know you don't want to hurt their bottom line by sending you a $2.00 sticker pad free of charge

F) They are not charging for the repair if you send it to them, but they are paying the return shipping costs. These costs will be FAR GREATER than the cost of the pad and postage to mail it. So, if I mail them my phantom they give me the pad for free then PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING. This will hurt their profits more, wouldn't you be concerned about that and prefer they just mail the pad to me and save money?
2014-11-9
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My dealer is aware of my sat drop out issues  and he says  6 weeks minimum for it to get sent away to Germany and returned :@
Now i might tell him to have a look on here and ask him to ask  Dji to supply repair kits  for the issue as its unreasonable to expect customers to wait 6 weeks +.
2014-11-9
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-10 06:25
My dealer is aware of my sat drop out issues  and he says  6 weeks minimum for it to get sent away t ...

According to DJI above "For the shielding case request, we would suggest sending some as spare parts to DJI dealer to help the customers in need. Thanks for your patience and understanding."

So yeah, the dealers could definitely shorten the wait time. But no dealers near me, so I want mine in the mail.
2014-11-9
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-11-10 05:44
A) Not out of warranty

B) It is an admitted fault of the units they shipped
Tony, please understand that I agree with you but I try and look at things from a different point of view.  My P2V+ will hopefully arrive tomorrow.  Yes, I don't even have one yet but I have been on here to do my research about drones and have learned a lot over time.  It appears to me that DJI has what I will call "Growing Pains" and are trying to make improvements as they go which for a business is smart business.  They still have a way to go but their product is the best in the business in my humble opinion.  Toeach point, here are my thoughts...
A) Not out of warranty Maybe for some and not for others.

B) It is an admitted fault of the units they shipped When did DJI officially admit they sold a faulty product?  Or do you believe that because they made a fix for a problem their customers have brought to their attention they have admitted their fault?

C) They have taken subsequent remedial measures to correct this fault in current models  It would appear they are listening to their customers.....to a degree

D) It could be treated as a factory recall program, and issue the replacement parts based on serial number  Yes it could and should. I agree with you.

E) We don't expect t them to actually make good on our requests, but if they do be sure to let them know you don't want to hurt their bottom line by sending you a $2.00 sticker pad free of charge You should want them to actually make good on the request.  I personally don't care about their bottom line other then I do want them to stay in business and continue to make new and improved products for us.

F) They are not charging for the repair if you send it to them, but they are paying the return shipping costs. These costs will be FAR GREATER than the cost of the pad and postage to mail it. So, if I mail them my phantom they give me the pad for free then PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING. This will hurt their profits more, wouldn't you be concerned about that and prefer they just mail the pad to me and save money? Yes, I would prefer they do an actual recall and send out the fix to every owner of record.  Absent that they should make the part available to dealers for a quick repair.

Tony, please don't hate on me, I don't think I have that much of a different position than you.....Dennis

2014-11-9
Use props
roelperalta
lvl.1

United States

Guys - not sure if you already tried contacting your dealers. I just contacted mine and complained about the GPS Sat issue and they immediately responded with "we know the issue". The dealer asked me to bring in the Phantom and they will replace the shield. I also asked if I can just walk in and get the shield myself and said yes. Fingers crossed, I will try to get it soon.
2014-11-10
Use props
roelperalta
lvl.1

United States

update. Dealer said I need to bring the craft in as they will do some rewiring too.
2014-11-10
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

roelperalta  are you familiar with the inside of you quad ? if yes then have a look and see what rewiring has been done or ask your dealer  what they did exactly .
From looking at the pictures  of the updated quad they have fitted ferrites to the cables coming from the camera , on mine i could only do this at one side as there is not enough slack on the other cables  which are the ones which run beside the wi-fi unit.
2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

IMO the worst part of it all is that folks still receive brand new V1 beta test Vision+ phantoms without shielding mods applied although the issue is known for some time now :@
2014-11-10
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My dealer is DJI.com. So I am not planning on going to Shenzhen anytime soon. haha.
2014-11-10
Use props
roelperalta
lvl.1

United States

I just talked to my dealer. They have a bulletin for this issue and procedure is to reroute the wire between wifi module and system board. Dealer mentioned it DID NOT work. I asked if they can put in the updated GPS shield but they said they will rather wait for DJI to answer first since the bulletin fix failed.

Good thing is that my dealer is only a few blocks from my workplace.
2014-11-11
Use props
roelperalta
lvl.1

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-11 03:55
roelperalta  are you familiar with the inside of you quad ? if yes then have a look and see what rew ...

They still have my phantom since the DJI bulletin fix failed to fix my issue.

I will definitely take some picture of BEFORE and AFTER once I get it back. I did some pics of the inside wiring before I gave my unit to them.
2014-11-11
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-11-11 09:59
My dealer is DJI.com. So I am not planning on going to Shenzhen anytime soon. haha.

I agree with you and hopefully the guy who respnded from DJI will say something new! I'm not willing to send my unit to china and be without it for months.
2014-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules