Why is Mavic 2 Zoom Dolly Zoom limited to 1080p?
4502 24 2018-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb83ff544
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Is it a processing limitation? I could *technically* recreate the effect manually with steady hands in 4k, so why is it limited to 1080p? Same goes for other quickshot modes that are limited to 1080p. Hopefully this can be improved with future updates. I would even be happy with 2.7k. Thoughts?
2018-9-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding your question, the only reason would be for great flight performance and smooth shooting.
2018-9-17
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-17 10:50
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding your question, the only reason would be for great flight performance and smooth shooting.

It is my opinion that when mentioning these features on the DJI Products page, it should be disclosed that they are only filmed in 1080p. With such a heavy emphasis on this drone being capable of 4K, yet most quickshots being 1080p I find that a bit misleading. Would I have known that, I would have thought twice before buying this drone. Thanks for the reply though
2018-9-18
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-17 05:39
My assumption is it uses the 4x zoom capability to maximize the "Vertigo" effect & that limits recording to 1080 for the 4x lossless zoom.

The dolly zoom only uses the 2x optical zoom though. This also does not make sense if you consider the fact that most other quickshots are also limited to 1080p. I must say I am bit disappointed in DJI, because it is a bit misleading.
2018-9-18
Use props
Drone-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

DJI is protecting their flagship the Phantom series so they cannot afford to give the mavic more goodies then what the Phantom has
2018-9-18
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding your question, the only reason would be for great flight performance and smooth shooting.

*Insert generic response here*. Seriously though, not buying it. The Mavic 2 Zoom has enough firepower to execute *flying backwards* and *zooming in* at 4K. If you could at least provide a little bit more technical reasons why this is not possible, I would be more inclined to believe you, but that's just BS.
2018-9-19
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Unacceptable. Even the Hyperlapse mode is limited to 1080p. Considering that hyperlapse is essentially taking photos at predefined intervals whilst the drone moves in a certain direction, there is absolutely no reason why it should be able to do this in 4K!  The fact that all these quickshots only work in 1080p should be CLEARLY marked on the product page. DJI probably thinks that the "average consumer" won't care/notice, and they are probably right. But for the enthusiasts among us, we do notice, and it does not sit well. I should have kept my Mavic Pro, I can do all these quickshots manually in 4K. Sure, it is a bit more work, but it definitely beats shelling out more money in a misleading product. Not cool DJI, NOT COOL!
2018-9-21
Use props
rainslave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 243114 ft
Norway

Robin2win14 Posted at 2018-9-21 06:37
Unacceptable. Even the Hyperlapse mode is limited to 1080p. Considering that hyperlapse is essentially taking photos at predefined intervals whilst the drone moves in a certain direction, there is absolutely no reason why it should be able to do this in 4K!  The fact that all these quickshots only work in 1080p should be CLEARLY marked on the product page. DJI probably thinks that the "average consumer" won't care/notice, and they are probably right. But for the enthusiasts among us, we do notice, and it does not sit well. I should have kept my Mavic Pro, I can do all these quickshots manually in 4K. Sure, it is a bit more work, but it definitely beats shelling out more money in a misleading product. Not cool DJI, NOT COOL!

Even the Mavic Air does quickshots in 4K..  
2018-9-21
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

rainslave Posted at 2018-9-21 11:52
Even the Mavic Air does quickshots in 4K..

Hey bud, can you please confirm 100% that it shoots its quickshot modes in 4K? If this is the case I will absolutely explode. When asking in the forums about the Mavic 2 Zooms 1080p limitations when shooting quickshots I keep getting the same generic *It is to ensure stability in-flight* response by DJI reps....
2018-9-21
Use props
rainslave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 243114 ft
Norway

Robin2win14 Posted at 2018-9-21 13:28
Hey bud, can you please confirm 100% that it shoots its quickshot modes in 4K? If this is the case I will absolutely explode. When asking in the forums about the Mavic 2 Zooms 1080p limitations when shooting quickshots I keep getting the same generic *It is to ensure stability in-flight* response by DJI reps....

yes, I just sold my Mavic Air. im pretty sure all quickshot modes were in 4K except the Astroid quickshot.
and now i have the Mavic 2 zoom. And quick shots are limited to 1080p..  not good. for such an expensive, new drone, i would have thought 4K quickshots would be in 4K right out of the box.. but i was wrong.
2018-9-21
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

I just checked my first dolly zoom footage and I also saw it defaulted to 1080.

This completely screws up editing workflow if you have everything shot in 4K and then the odd shots in 1080!!!!

Hopefully there is an update, that you can just use the 2X optical zoom (would shorten the duration of the dolly zoom) but would preserve 4K!

DJI please get this fixed or give an option via firmware update please.
2018-9-29
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Scrappy Posted at 2018-9-29 12:44
I just checked my first dolly zoom footage and I also saw it defaulted to 1080.

This completely screws up editing workflow if you have everything shot in 4K and then the odd shots in 1080!!!!

That is the whole point though. It only uses the 2x optical zoom, it doesn't use the 4x lossless zoom for the default dolly zoom effect, that's why  it sucks that it is limited to 1080p!!
2018-9-29
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

Robin2win14 Posted at 2018-9-29 12:49
That is the whole point though. It only uses the 2x optical zoom, it doesn't use the 4x lossless zoom for the default dolly zoom effect, that's why  it sucks that it is limited to 1080p!!

No, I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

The only way the 4X lossless works is in 1080, due to using the image sensor to create an additional 2X digital lossless part.  The reason the dolly zoom is in 1080 is that it is going the full 4X zoom.

I am saying ditch the 4X, and just go 2X with the optical zoom which would allow a lossless 4K dolly zoom, but the total distance and effect length will be shorter.
2018-9-29
Use props
Drone-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

The camera is recording at 4K and two times Optical. the two times digital the two times digital is cropping the 4K to 1080
2018-9-30
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

Drone-Pilot Posted at 2018-9-30 07:04
The camera is recording at 4K and two times Optical. the two times digital the two times digital is cropping the 4K to 1080

Right, exactly.

They should offer the option to go just 2X optical, ditch the digital zoom and let the video clip remain at 4K!

It will cut the effect time/distance in half but I would rather have it that way in 4K.
2018-9-30
Use props
TachLock
lvl.2
United States

this is really frustrating - especially since it's not advertised as such... their tech support didn't know about it (just spent more than an hour uploading screenshots etc and chatting with them).  This is a big challenge in the quality management of my footage.  
2018-10-19
Use props
Manulaa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981273 ft
  • >>>
Sri Lanka

Yes this is a picture from the mavic air. and it does support 4k in quickshots. (asked from one of my friends too) Btw with the Mavic 2, you have to change the video resolution in normal mode and change to quickshots cause there seems to be a bug which won't let you change in quickshots mode. Except for dolly zoom and hyperlapse which only has 1080p
2018-10-20
Use props
fans68ece809
lvl.1
Canada

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, Regarding your question, the only reason would be for great flight performance and smooth shooting.

What does 1080 or 4K have to do with smooth shooting ? The drone is flying backwards the same regardless of the resolution... like already stated, this effect can be created manually while shooting in 4K so the fact that the m2 can’t do it is quite unreasonable
2019-2-18
Use props
fans68ece809
lvl.1
Canada

Wow. This is just a huge fail for DJI. Why boast about your drone being so good and 4K and all these awesome quick shot features if it can’t even shoot them in 4K ? That’s pure garbage. I honestly thought a company like DJI would have come out better than that. Especially with the release of the M2 series... people might aswell just buy a spark if that’s the case ...
Why have a drone with 4K footage and then you go to edit it all and have random 1080 shots in between? No that’s just pure garbage. Shame on DJI for that.
2019-2-18
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

All camera movement must start from one point  to end in another point.  And you must rec few seconds before start moving and after the end  of the movement. It is a basic rule for good motion shots. All quick shots options start and end abruptly.  Doesnt materabout video resolution. I dont use it.
2019-2-18
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Robin2win14 Posted at 2018-9-21 06:37
Unacceptable. Even the Hyperlapse mode is limited to 1080p. Considering that hyperlapse is essentially taking photos at predefined intervals whilst the drone moves in a certain direction, there is absolutely no reason why it should be able to do this in 4K!  The fact that all these quickshots only work in 1080p should be CLEARLY marked on the product page. DJI probably thinks that the "average consumer" won't care/notice, and they are probably right. But for the enthusiasts among us, we do notice, and it does not sit well. I should have kept my Mavic Pro, I can do all these quickshots manually in 4K. Sure, it is a bit more work, but it definitely beats shelling out more money in a misleading product. Not cool DJI, NOT COOL!

You can do 4k hyperlapse I believe, its just that the hyperlapse function uses a crop so that the footage is more stable. There are many tutorials on how to do this but basically you have to save every photo from the hyperlapse onto the sd card and post process yourself.
2019-2-18
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Scrappy Posted at 2018-9-30 07:17
Right, exactly.

They should offer the option to go just 2X optical, ditch the digital zoom and let the video clip remain at 4K!

Its difficult, but I have managed a manual dolly zoom in 4k. The problem is that it is a pain in the... nvm. Much easier to do in post/upscale the 1080
2019-2-18
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-17 05:39
My assumption is it uses the 4x zoom capability to maximize the "Vertigo" effect & that limits recording to 1080 for the 4x lossless zoom.

Correct. At least, I assume the same thing, considering the work I have done in post/ the manual dolly zooms I have done at least suggest this.
2019-2-18
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone-Pilot Posted at 2018-9-18 05:03
DJI is protecting their flagship the Phantom series so they cannot afford to give the mavic more goodies then what the Phantom has

Yep, that's on the mark.
2019-2-20
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-18 21:22
Its difficult, but I have managed a manual dolly zoom in 4k. The problem is that it is a pain in the... nvm. Much easier to do in post/upscale the 1080

All the 'canned' quick shot features (except perhaps asteroid) can be done manually in 4K.  (it is quite a bit more work).  The quick shots are really for those with lesser flying skills.   

Its much like cameras..   Consumer grade DSLR cameras have 'quick shot' settings for 'portrait, landscape, sports etc).  Professional grade DSLR's don't .  The shooter has to dial up the correct settings..  You don't hear people complaining that they paid $5000 for a camera and can't shoot sports because it doesn't have a sports mode.

If I really need a 4K dronie..  I'll do it manually.
2019-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules