Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
dji mavic 2 pro active track 2.0 crash!
12Next >
5757 46 2018-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 361 ft
Netherlands

How was this possible? All went well untill going backwards during the active track...
2018-9-17
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

the manual says:
There are two options when selecting the tracking speed limit. Safe mode limits the speed to no more than 12m/s and Max mode to no more than 20m/s. Please note that the aircraft cannot avoid obstacles if the speeds exceeds 12m/s.

would that be the case?
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

dj_dread Posted at 2018-9-17 11:36
the manual says:
There are two options when selecting the tracking speed limit. Safe mode limits the speed to no more than 12m/s and Max mode to no more than 20m/s. Please note that the aircraft cannot avoid obstacles if the speeds exceeds 12m/s.

No, that couldn't be the case I think. If you look closely, you will notice that the drone didn't have any speed just before hitting the pole. There is also zero damage and after I locked the target again it just continued doing its job.
2018-9-17
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 11:45
No, that couldn't be the case I think. If you look closely, you will notice that the drone didn't have any speed before just hitting the pole. There is also zero damage and after I locked the target again it just continued doing its job.

maybe looking at your flight record will see the speed value. maybe the obstacle was too small, a surface reflecting the light or so.
just saying..
but i am glad your drone is ok
2018-9-17
Use props
itsjustme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Looks like the sun was somewhat behind the drone, roughly at the 4'O clock position. So the rear sensor may not have been able to detect that pole correctly and hit it.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

dj_dread Posted at 2018-9-17 11:51
maybe looking at your flight record will see the speed value. maybe the obstacle was too small, a surface reflecting the light or so.
just saying..
but i am glad your drone is ok

So am I! It also didn't go down. But you would say that it should notice such a pole...
2018-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 11:45
No, that couldn't be the case I think. If you look closely, you will notice that the drone didn't have any speed before just hitting the pole. There is also zero damage and after I locked the target again it just continued doing its job.

The obstacle was clearly too thin in my opinion to be tracked reliably. Pilots here should not expect 100% failsafe robots that do the entire job, they are and always should be the responsible pilots. Otherwise we could just give up our hobby of steering an UAV ourselves and aiming to produce nice footage.
In addition you should change the title of your overly dramatising post. This was clearly not a crash. The Mavic 2 has touched the pole, but has recovered well in flight, no crash at all.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

itsjustme Posted at 2018-9-17 11:54
Looks like the sun was somewhat behind the drone, roughly at the 4'O clock position. So the rear sensor may not have been able to detect that pole correctly and hit it.

Yes, you're right, the sun was at that position. So that could be possible, but that means one shouldn't fly while the sun is out...  because at active track the drone can fly in all directions.
2018-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 12:07
Yes, you're right, the sun was at that position. So that could be possible, but that means one musn't fly while the sun is out...  because at active track the drone can fly in all directions.

No, it doesn't mean that. It means that you are always supposed to fly in Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) and control your aircraft at all times. The sensors are meant to assist you, they are not meant to replace you and take responsibility away from you. These are the rules in more or less all European countries and well beyond.
2018-9-17
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

"Blinded by the light" would be my guess (thank you Manfred Mann)
2018-9-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It doesn’t look like much planning went into this AT, you were 100% expecting your craft to avoid the obstacle which was pretty thin .
You can clearly see you moving right, in order for tracking you in the centre craft must move to the left, so now craft is at an angle to obstacle, yes there are sensors on the back but not on the diagonal, so this looks like to me this is why it clipped the obstacle. There are no diagonal sensors. The envoirment you chose was never going to be easy for what you were trying to do, and I’m afraid that’s your responsibility.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-17 12:12
No, it doesn't mean that. It means that you are always supposed to fly in Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) and control your aircraft at all times. The sensors are meant to assist you, they are not meant to replace you and take responsibility away from you. These are the rules in more or less all European countries and well beyond.

You start talking about responsibilty and line of sight and you even don't know the location and situation I was at. I was standing at a 30 meters distance and there was nobody there in the middle of an abandoned  park. So please stop playing teacher. I asked a technical question and hopefully get a technical answer back and not lessons in responsibilities.....
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-17 12:23
It doesn’t look like much planning went into this AT, you were 100% expecting your craft to avoid the obstacle which was pretty thin .
You can clearly see you moving right, in order for tracking you in the centre craft must move to the left, so now craft is at an angle to obstacle, yes there are sensors on the back but not on the diagonal, so this looks like to me this is why it clipped the obstacle. There are no diagonal sensors. The envoirment you chose was never going to be easy for what you were trying to do, and I’m afraid that’s your responsibility.

This was my daughter I used as the target. So it was not her who was piloting, and there wasn't much planning, because I was trying out the active track and the only obstacles were the poles. So lesson learned, the pole isn't thick enough.
2018-9-17
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Glad your drone recovered so quickly!  I am shocked, to be honest.  The gimbal was off-set, but it seemed to correct itself at the end.  I would re-calibrate all sensors/gimbal after that jostle (Just to be certain).

The only drone I felt 100% confident was with my Yuneec Typhoon H with the intel RealSense module.  That setup noticed the small branches/wires with more precision.  That camera is able to rotate 360 with the legs folded up. So when you had it follow you, it would always point the intel sensors towards where it was flying to and keep the camera pointed on you.  A very nice drone.  Tedious in preparing it for flight, thus me headed over to DJI.  DJI is getting better at improving their avoidance sensors, but they still have a long way to go.

Personally speaking, I fly the drone under my control most all of the time.  I only use active track when there are no trees/power lines around.  Again, my preference only which works for me.  I'm still shocked that the drone didn't 'see' the pole!  It seems like it hit it dead on in the middle.  Uh, HELLO?!?! There are 2 cameras there.  Sun could have played a role with that. I would think the sun helped it 'see' the pole.  Obviously not..
2018-9-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 12:32
This was my daughter I used as the target. So it was not her who was piloting, and there wasn't much planning, because I was trying out the active track and the only obstacles were the poles. So lesson learned, the pole isn't thick enough.

Hopefully not to much damage, as somebody who plays golf , I have great problems hitting a fairway 30 yards wide, but don’t seem to have any problems hitting a tree branch 2 inches wide.  ;+).....
2018-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 12:25
You start talking about responsibilty and line of sight and you even don't know the location and situation I was at. I was standing at a 30 meters distance and there was nobody there in the middle of an abandoned  park. So please stop playing teacher. I asked a technical question and hopefully get a technical answer back and not lessons in responsibilities.....

Sorry, I have given you a purely technical answer in post 7# that you might have overlooked. Never mind, just do it your way and become hopefully happy with it.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-9-17 12:36
Glad your drone recovered so quickly!  I am shocked, to be honest.  The gimbal was off-set, but it seemed to correct itself at the end.  I would re-calibrate all sensors/gimbal after that jostle (Just to be certain).

The only drone I felt 100% confident was with my Yuneec Typhoon H with the intel RealSense module.  That setup noticed the small branches/wires with more precision.  DJI is getting better at improving their avoidance sensors, but they still have a long way to go.

And that was also the reason I posted this video, the only obstacles were those poles. For me this was the first time I tried out active tracking and she wasn't even slaloming. Normally I also don't use these extras but I thought that dji would be further in their experience with the obstacle avoidance.

And on that gimbal,that was the moment I took over. So it wasn't the machine itself that stabilized itself.  But for the rest I think mavic 2 is a great drone, but true obstacle avoidance is still far away ;-)
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-17 12:38
Hopefully not to much damage, as somebody who plays golf , I have great problems hitting a fairway 30 yards wide, but don’t seem to have any problems hitting a tree branch 2 inches wide.  ;+).....

Zero damage ;-) and a lesson learned on the obstacle avoidance techniques of the dji drone.
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good recovery and glad the drone is still flying. I use to switch off the OA on all of my drones.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-9-17 14:19
Good recovery and glad the drone is still flying. I use to switch off the OA on all of my drones.

Yes, it's very positive that I could get full control right after the contact. But it's a pitty that it fails such a simple, basic test. Cruising down the road with just poles next to you.

But what's interesting that it seams to recognize the obstacle, as it decreased its speed to almost zero but still deciding hitting the pole anyway.
2018-9-17
Use props
Andrejs
First Officer
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Obstacle avoidance flying backward not working so well like forward. I noticed this as well.
2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

two meters above you would have avoided the crash
2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

lvK0bgqCXaWs you have two mavics  ---> Flight distance : 110

Better if you acquire experience without using intelligent flight modes.

The handling of the device and its multiple functions are not easy to learn and I consider that 110 meters is not enough experience, it is only my opinion, Enjoy and fly safely
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-17 22:36
Obstacle avoidance flying backward not working so well like forward. I noticed this as well.

yep, and that's a big problem for the active track function. Because  the drone is making pretty huge turns while turning (as it has to continue filming the target), so the chance of a collision during the turn is present.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-9-17 22:46
lvK0bgqCXaWs you have two mavics  ---> Flight distance : 110

Better if you acquire experience without using intelligent flight modes.

What does active tracking got to do with experience.....

And a level of experience really isn't measured through these apps.
It could be even be possible that I've been flying drones already for about 15 years now.  
And those first ones were hardly to fly.
But I'm glad that I'm surrounded by such high aces that start talking about who's got the most experience and things like that.
My problem with that was that it totally wasn't my question....
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 21:04
Yes, it's very positive that I could get full control right after the contact. But it's a pitty that it fails such a simple, basic test. Cruising down the road with just poles next to you.

But what's interesting that it seams to recognize the obstacle, as it decreased its speed to almost zero but still deciding hitting the pole anyway.

Perhaps it noticed it too late for the breaking distance or lost it after the detection. It's never 100% - I don't have OA on my Inspire and that thing weighs over 3KG - all manual.
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-9-17 22:41
two meters above you would have avoided the crash

Totally agree.
But my focus is video under a right angle and as close and low as possible. Gets a more" dramatic scene" ;-) but that's personal taste.
And as stated before, I was relying on the DJI technics of the drone too much.
2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 23:04
What does active tracking got to do with experience.....

And a level of experience really isn't measured through these apps.

then sorry
2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

i used active track in Mavic pro first time last sunday , i know the AC after 1 month since I bought it.
Just testing now these intelligent modes

2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-9-17 23:04
Perhaps it noticed it too late for the breaking distance or lost it after the detection. It's never 100% - I don't have OA on my Inspire and that thing weighs over 3KG - all manual.

That's what I think had happened too: it lost the obstacle after the detection and then continued following its target and started turning backward again. You can see on the video that it was at a zero speed just before hitting the pole. My luck here was that it was already that close that there wasn't hardly any impact.
But thanks for the normal, decent conversation we're having on the topic itself and not about experience/flight time/safety.  
2018-9-17
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-9-17 23:11
i used active track in Mavic pro first time last sunday , i know the AC after 1 month since I bought it.
Just testing now these intelligent modes

what are your experiences with it sofar?
I haven't been using these modes all of those years, because I knew you couldn't rely on them.
But man. it would be great when OA would grow to maturity!
2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

i need to test these modes in deep before talk . all is new  , things i cant do with My Phantom 3 SE
2018-9-17
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

nice recovery though.
2018-9-18
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yep. With an older type of drone I would have lost it. But the 2 is flying great sofar. Huge improvement compared with the 1.
Super, super stable.
2018-9-18
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

if you keep relying on the automated modes, you will lose it someday ;)
2018-9-18
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2018-9-18 01:46
if you keep relying on the automated modes, you will lose it someday ;)

So true! ;-)
2018-9-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lvK0bgqCXaWs Posted at 2018-9-17 23:19
That's what I think had happened too: it lost the obstacle after the detection and then continued following its target and started turning backward again. You can see on the video that it was at a zero speed just before hitting the pole. My luck here was that it was already that close that there wasn't hardly any impact.
But thanks for the normal, decent conversation we're having on the topic itself and not about experience/flight time/safety.

No worries - flyers have enough on their plate after a crash - put it that way!
2018-9-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-9-17 12:20
"Blinded by the light" would be my guess (thank you Manfred Mann)

Bruce Springsteen also sang that song, if you ever heard him sing it you would know why it wasn’t a big hit for him....
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. I would like to ask what is the status of your aircraft after this incident? If you need to send the unit to our service. Please contact our support using the link below. Kindly let us know on the latest progress.

www.dji.com/support
2018-9-19
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-19 09:40
Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. I would like to ask what is the status of your aircraft after this incident? If you need to send the unit to our service. Please contact our support using the link below. Kindly let us know on the latest progress.

www.dji.com/support

@ tony, I sent you a PM
2018-9-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules