Do i need to calibrate the compass?
1984 9 2018-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charbel1011
lvl.3

So i bought my first time the dji mavic pro. and i was watching youtube video it says i need to calibrate the compass everytime i fly? is that true? i didn't calibrate anything yet?

2018-9-18
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You shouldn't have to calibrate the compass often. See the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for the best known compass calibration practices.
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. It is not required to calibrate the compass every flight that you'll be having. You are only required to do that if you are going to fly in a different location or if the app says so.
2018-9-18
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-18 07:30
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. It is not required to calibrate the compass every flight that you'll be having. You are only required to do that if you are going to fly in a different location or if the app says so.

I bought the mavic pro lately. So it's still in the box i wanna know when i open the box should i calibrate it as first time?
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

charbel1011 Posted at 2018-9-18 07:31
I bought the mavic pro lately. So it's still in the box i wanna know when i open the box should i calibrate it as first time?

Yes, you should.
2018-9-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've posted this before, but will do it again.  I've had my MP for 2 years and haven't calibrated ANYTHING on it yet.  It flies beautifully, has never crashed, and I'm VERY happy with it.  I'll consider calibrating something when it tells me it needs to be done.
2018-9-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 2018-9-18 07:31

Make sure when you do calibrate (as answered ''Yes, you should'' by DJI Wanda); that you calibrate Mavic Pro's compasses well away from any possible source of magnetic interference.
Minimum recommended distance is 10-meters.  Personally, I like being further away - as in undeveloped grass field.

Make sure there are no - overhead or buried power lines, buried metal pipes (water or gas), metal fencing, or metal structures within 10-meters of you.  

Do not perform a compass calibration over a concrete sidewalk, driveway, roadway, parking lot, or dock pier.  Highly likely there is steel in anything made with concrete.
Make sure you are not wearing any ferrous metal or have any kind of magnet on you during compass calibration.
If by chance you have medical implant that is made of ferrous metal, you may want to get a friend to do the Drone Compass calibration Dance.  Make sure to covertly film the friend.

When Mavic Pro's two compasses are correctly calibrated, in same area calibration was done, both should have short ''Green'' bars under Sensor menu for Compass field interference.

2018-9-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think if you follow msinger’s advice you won’t go far wrong.
2018-9-23
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

My MA makes me calibrate it almost every time I fly, is this abnormal?
2018-12-30
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

I see your link and heres another
https://forum.dji.com/thread-142359-1-1.html
2018-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules