Unable to remove lens cover on M2Z
769 12 2018-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DewDog_2
lvl.3
United States

Using rubber gloves on the lens cover and it won't budge.  Any ideas?

2018-9-18
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Maybe it's not removable?
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. Did you rotate it counter-clockwise or clockwise when facing the camera of your drone?
2018-9-18
Use props
DewDog_2
lvl.3
United States

Counter clockwise.
2018-9-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

For Mavic Air a rubber band held tightly around it has done the job well for many. But rubber gloves were successfully used too.
2018-9-18
Use props
DewDog_2
lvl.3
United States

Never mind.  I finally got it off.
2018-9-18
Use props
DrohneSG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

DewDog_2 Posted at 9-18 08:28
Never mind.  I finally got it off.

Unfortunately i got stuck with the problem. Even rubber(gloves) did not work so far. The cover only moves very little. My fingers not strong enough? How to proceed?  Applying carefully more power with a tool (with rubber to avoid scratches)?  By the way, IMHO its a bad construction not having an easy way to remove the cover.
2018-12-1
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DrohneSG Posted at 12-1 11:56
Unfortunately i got stuck with the problem. Even rubber(gloves) did not work so far. The cover only moves very little. My fingers not strong enough? How to proceed?  Applying carefully more power with a tool (with rubber to avoid scratches)?  By the way, IMHO its a bad construction not having an easy way to remove the cover.

Be careful.  Some reports are that the ring is very soft so that applying too much pressure (pressing) could make it even harder to remove.  Someone suggested using a hair dryer to warm it which might make it expand a little or soften any adhesive that might be in the threads.

But if it moves a little try back and forth.  Turn the little to loosen, then turn a bit the other way (not too tight) and then back and forth.

Good luck.  I guess maybe you could take it to a camera repair shop which might have some expertise and probably not even charge if they can get it loose.  There are also plastic "strap wrenches" but most of them had very slow shipping times, mostly from China.
2018-12-1
Use props
DrohneSG
Second Officer
Germany

Did not succed yet. Turning back and forth only brought little progress, hair dryer neither successful. DJI gets a bad rate for this. Before I damage the thread, I might stop here and use no filters. But that not the idea. DJI any ideas? Send the drone back?
2018-12-2
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Once you learn the trick to removing these filters you will get a good laugh at yourself.   Due to weight considerations the sides of the filter are very thin.  Applying pressure to the sides as you try and unscrew it actually turns it into a locknut.   The secret is to apply only enuff pressure to insure a grip as far forward on the filter as possible.   Rubber gloves might help and some folks use a rubber band, but use either with just enuff pressure to get the job done.  
2018-12-2
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

I was thinking if you could get a hard rubber disk larger in diameter than the lens, you could press it against the entire filter from the front and try turning it and keeping it against the lens.  That way no pressure is exerted against the sides of the ring.  

I will admit that I did not entirely remove mine but think I turned it enough to know that I can get it off.  I just got the filters but have not tried any yet.  I did use rubber gloves.

added:   I posted this on another site and have not tried it yet:

I did a google search on something like "wrench for mavic filters" and  found some for the Pro but they all seemed to ship from China with a  post-xmas shipping date.  They were all pretty cheap.

Hmm, I just got to thinking (dangerous at my age) and they are all kind  of U-shaped with a roundish top to surround the filter and then extended  legs.  But I wonder if you could use the zip-ties used to bundle  electrical wire or the instant handcuffs in police dramas!!!  Wrap  around the lens ring and hold tight.  Down to the basement a bit later  to test...
2018-12-2
Use props
DrohneSG
Second Officer
Germany

It still doesn't work for me. Tried several times. Read many post here and elsewhere, watched some vids. But  still can turn the cover only for about 30°-40° back an forth, only with fingers and varorious kind of rubber and all mentioned tricks. Can't get if off. Hesitate to apply more force or tools. Really being p*d off.

So there are three kinds of MVZ users:

- those who do not user filters and have no trouble with this issue  
- those who user filters and got off the cover with more or less effort  
- those who struggle with the lens cover and do not succeed and beeing always in danger to spoil something when trying,  not beeing able to user filters  

And in all threads on this issue never a real straight answer from DJI, or did I miss something?
2018-12-5
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DrohneSG Posted at 12-5 12:52
It still doesn't work for me. Tried several times. Read many post here and elsewhere, watched some vids. But  still can turn the cover only for about 30°-40° back an forth, only with fingers and varorious kind of rubber and all mentioned tricks. Can't get if off. Hesitate to apply more force or tools. Really being p*d off.

So there are three kinds of MVZ users:

I suggested this somewhere.  I would guess that a camera repair shop might be able to do it for you and probably wouldn't charge if it only took a minute.

Good luck.
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules