DJI Removed D-Log Color Option on Zoom 2 (!)
10148 20 2018-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
morobison71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 281821 ft
United States

To make a long story short, DJI has removed D-log and some other Color Options on Mavic 2 Zoom (!).  I thought it was a firmware tech glitch.  I went through all the update options including using DJI Assistant via desktop, called tech support, etc.  
The bottom line is DJI has either intentionally or accidently removed D-Log as a color option on the Mavic Zoom 2.  Only two options available are D-Cinelike and Normal.  Also removed (compared to original Mavic Pro) are Black and White, Art, Vivid, etc - these are less important to me but the removal of D-Log is a cause of major concern given I want wide latitude on colorization LUT tables, which work best with D-log footage.

DJI Tech Support told me it might be added in with future firmware updates, whcih was not too reassuring, and a big loss of a feature on an expensive professional drone.

2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for bringing this topic to us. However, Dlog-M is only available on the Mavic 2 Pro because the pro version was designed with the needs of professional photographers in mind, meeting demands for greater color correction capabilities.  On the other hand, the Mavic 2 Zoom has D-Cinelike to realize quick and easy color correction. Along with Dlog-M, D-Cinelike reserves more highlight and color information than any normal color correction mode, leaving more room for post-processing. If you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-9-18
Use props
morobison71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 281821 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-18 10:08
Hi, thanks for bringing this topic to us. However, Dlog-M is only available on the Mavic 2 Pro because the pro version was designed with the needs of professional photographers in mind, meeting demands for greater color correction capabilities.  On the other hand, the Mavic 2 Zoom has D-Cinelike to realize quick and easy color correction. Along with Dlog-M, D-Cinelike reserves more highlight and color information than any normal color correction mode, leaving more room for post-processing. If your have further question, please let us know. Thanks you.

Thanks for response.

I didn't realize it until I took the deep dive on it on my flight tests, wasn't clear in marketing materials.  

If Zoom 2 is not for professionals, so this a $1,299 hobby drone?  That makes little sense to me, at least, at this high price point and array of other professional features.  

The original Mavic Pro had DLog as color option and its a lower priced & older model.  It's just software anyway, not hardware.

D-Cinelike is nice, but it's still not true Dlog like on the original Mavic Pro, which offered wide latitude on color post-processing.  Just an unfortunate missing feature, in my opinion.
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

morobison71 Posted at 2018-9-18 10:35
Thanks for response.

I didn't realize it until I took the deep dive on it on my flight tests, wasn't clear in marketing materials.  

Hi. I totally respect your opinion or feedback towards our new feature. Please do understand that both models have a different kind of feature that makes it unique.  Also, Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro are both Consumer drones. The Mavic 2 Zoom is all about dynamic perspectives and is powered by a 1/2.3-inch 12-megapixel sensor with up to four-times zoom, including a two-times optical zoom (24-48mm) for more creative aerial photography options while The Mavic 2 Pro comes equipped with the all-new Hasselblad L1D-20c camera. Thanks.
2018-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

morobison71 Posted at 2018-9-18 10:35
Thanks for response.

I didn't realize it until I took the deep dive on it on my flight tests, wasn't clear in marketing materials.  

D-log won’t make you a pro, in fact no camera will make you a pro, Cameras capture files, you capture great images video.
2018-9-18
Use props
Headcase81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 665965 ft
Denmark

Since we have allready clearified that the camera Are interchangeable and that the features of the drone automatically follows the camera setup, this seems like a fair expectation...
2018-9-18
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If that option was there at the beginning and NOW removed ... thats not fair. If it was NEVER on the Zoom thats OK I guess.
2018-9-18
Use props
Sandisk73
New

Italy

I agree totally to this last reply.

The question would be different if these features were not integrated into the drone, but removing them later is a bit 'incorrect and is a commercial action to drive the choice on buying the most expensive drone. Of course, in the case DJI re-integrated it in the new firmware, I will change my mind.
2018-9-24
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like it was accidentally left in on the early firmware version(s), you would imagine that the P4 Zoom or P5 will have it thus creating the market share.

It's a poor show from DJI as they now have a really fragmented Mavic range and the fact it can be done will really annoy a lot of users.
2018-9-24
Use props
cinnabun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812995 ft
United States

Maybe this has something to do with the ability to swap out the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom camera with the Mavic 2 Pro camera? I would imagine you'd want to have the code left in the firmware in case "You" the consumer wanted to swap one camera for another?

Check out this video
2018-9-24
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just put it back!
2018-9-24
Use props
Sandisk73
New

Italy

It is an incorrect move towards buyers loyal to DJI. The hardware is perfectly compatible with the features, so why remove it? It's just a strategic market move. Imagine who bought the Zoom version with this integrated features and started working on it professionally and then the producer remove it for no reason? It is not a little difficulty (for example if we think about the various and possible luts?). In principle then it is also incorrect.
2018-9-24
Use props
Joni-Pekka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168852 ft
Finland

Please bring log back via an update!
2018-9-26
Use props
fansacce55c7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 448114 ft
United States

I too find it completely lame to remove d log, especially since my P4 classic still has the option.  Sandbagging like this is why I dumped Canon for Sony. If another manufacturer comes up with a challenging drone model without the sandbagging, I'll dump DJI as well.
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

fansacce55c7 Posted at 12-6 10:04
I too find it completely lame to remove d log, especially since my P4 classic still has the option.  Sandbagging like this is why I dumped Canon for Sony. If another manufacturer comes up with a challenging drone model without the sandbagging, I'll dump DJI as well.

voting with your wallet works every time.....
2018-12-6
Use props
ChoccyBoy
New
Flight distance : 55561 ft
Australia

Upvoting wanting Log back....
2019-1-19
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft
Germany

Sandisk73 Posted at 2018-9-24 07:54
It is an incorrect move towards buyers loyal to DJI. The hardware is perfectly compatible with the features, so why remove it? It's just a strategic market move. Imagine who bought the Zoom version with this integrated features and started working on it professionally and then the producer remove it for no reason? It is not a little difficulty (for example if we think about the various and possible luts?). In principle then it is also incorrect.

I am not loyal to DJI anymore. They cheated too often. 4K drone with quickshots in 1080p, removed course lock, waypoints in normal mode and D-LOG. Was thinking about buying an Osmo pocket but never ever! No trust in DJI anymore, I hope they will be kicked out of the market by a competitor that plays fair game with its customers.
2019-1-19
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never had experience with Log, but if it is indeed possible i would very much like to try 8bit Dlog. I know that 10bit is impossible considering the camera not be compatible but you know. P4 and MP1 were able to do 8bit log.
2019-1-21
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Sorry, but I remember that Zoom version never had D-log mode. I watched the presentation via streaming, and the acclaimed Dlog-M for the Pro version and CineD for the zoom. I never saw D-log for the Zoom in any official ADV or specs. You could agree or not for this  – marketing – decision (personal opinions are always respected), but when you bought it, you knew it. Of course if you read tech specs before buy.
Someone said "Mavic Pro had Dlog". Well.. Mavic 2 Pro has D log in fact. The new Zoom version doesn't have it, like Air version.
2019-1-21
Use props
fans48804dbe
lvl.1

Italy

forza e coraggio DJI metti sullo Zoom il  D-LOG... che è cosa più che giusta

2019-11-19
Use props
DATOR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102087 ft
Australia

Luca Rubino Posted at 1-21 02:14
Sorry, but I remember that Zoom version never had D-log mode. I watched the presentation via streaming, and the acclaimed Dlog-M for the Pro version and CineD for the zoom. I never saw D-log for the Zoom in any official ADV or specs. You could agree or not for this  – marketing – decision (personal opinions are always respected), but when you bought it, you knew it. Of course if you read tech specs before buy.
Someone said "Mavic Pro had Dlog". Well.. Mavic 2 Pro has D log in fact. The new Zoom version doesn't have it, like Air version.

I am sure it never had it either, have had mine a long time and it was never there D-Cinelike is the option the Zoom has always had.
2019-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules