4933 7 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans22dc6a91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56759 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

While I do not accept that the lens distortion cannot be fixed in FW (and should be!), in the interim here's a workaround for Davinci Resolve 15 Free (and paid Studio).

I too was disgusted in having to pay for post-processing software and almost stumped up the £250 for the Studio verison of Resolve with Lens Correction until I came across the following video:

It has to be DR15 for the new Fusion effects.  You'll need DR15 anway to be able to import H265.

What I find interesting is that the 'old' studio paid version of Lens Correction was a simple slider.  The Fusion version (in both Studio paid and free) has many more options and even looks like it can import a lens profile.  I think you can record macros in Fusion to speed up this process.

So come on DJI, get it fixed in FW but give us a lens profile in the intermin (that's compatible with the free version of DR15 and other common video editing suites!).

Only quickly tried it this morning so don't shoot the messenger!

Hope it helps,
Dale

2018-9-20
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Fans, have you looked on page 39 of the Mavic 2 Pro manual (v1.2).  DJI  covers this issue and provides correction numbers for Resolve, Premier, and FCPX.  Hopefully this helps in the absence of a proper distortion correction plugin.  Matt
2018-9-20
Use props
fans22dc6a91
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-20 05:04
Hey Fans, have you looked on page 39 of the Mavic 2 Pro manual (v1.2).  DJI  covers this issue and provides correction numbers for Resolve, Premier, and FCPX.  Hopefully this helps in the absence of a proper distortion correction plugin.  Matt

Hah!  Sometimes it pays to read the manual!

However, those numbers are not what the guy in the video is plugging in.

I also think that they're for the original lens distortion method that's only been in the paid version of Davinci Resolve since version 12 (?).

Version 15 (both free and studio) is now bundled with Fusion effects that has a second way of correcting for lens distortion inside DR15 that requires different types of parameters to drive it.

Anyone wanting to stay with DR15 free will need the parameters for the Fusion way which I doubt is what DJI are publishing in the manual.

Can someone at DJI confirm?
2018-9-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

fans22dc6a91 Posted at 2018-9-20 05:29
Hah!  Sometimes it pays to read the manual!

However, those numbers are not what the guy in the video is plugging in.

The free version doesn't support h.265. If you want to shoot with D-Log M you need the studio version.
And then you have the lens correction in the inspector and don't need that Fusion bypass.

2018-9-20
Use props
fans22dc6a91
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-9-20 11:42
The free version doesn't support h.265. If you want to shoot with D-Log M you need the studio version.
And then you have the lens correction in the inspector and don't need that Fusion bypass.

Sorry Eric but the Free version (15.0 upwards) does support h265.  I used sample Mavic 2 Pro clips to test this before purchasing the M2P.

All done on Windows 10:

My laptop could (with stuttering) play the H265 files.  I then installed the free version of DR15 and checked import and playback.  Lots of stuttering but DR would work with them.

I then tried playback on my desktop - it didn't work.  I purchased the HEVC codec from the Microsoft App store for about £2 and then I could playback in Windows Media player.  I then installed DR15 and check import and playback.  My desktop could keep up and DR was happy with the files.

I can't explain why playback worked on my laptop worked but not my desktop.  Maybe the HEVC codec was the key to getting DR15 Free working with h265 files?  It's not just me, there's others out there that have got DR15 Free working with the 10 bit H265 files.

You can't export to HEVC/h265 with the free version but do you really need 10 bits after you've graded?

DJI, any indication on lens correction settings for Fusion under DR15 Free?
2018-9-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

fans22dc6a91 Posted at 2018-9-20 12:57
Sorry Eric but the Free version (15.0 upwards) does support h265.  I used sample Mavic 2 Pro clips to test this before purchasing the M2P.

All done on Windows 10:

Interesting!
I was on the free version 15 and when I dragged the h265 files into the media pool it wouldn't play them so I bought the studio version after having read that this is required for h265.
I'm glad it works for you!

Regarding the stuttering in DR 15:
Are you generating optimized media?
You can do so by right-clicking the files in the media pool and selecet 'Generate Optimized Media".
It will take a while depending of the original files but once it's done editing will be as smooth as it can be.

I'm on Windows as well:
The VLC player plays anything in h265 very well. There are some tweaks which will improve it, the file caching setting will do the job!
https://windowsreport.com/vlc-media-player-lagging-windows-10/

2018-9-20
Use props
poetoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3181066 ft
Switzerland

Also have the DR 15 free version.  Tried the values of 0.079 and 0.04 in Fusion.  

1. Not sure whether these values are for FOV or HQ mode, or for both?
2. Also noticed that using the values will make the video choppy in timeline.  Maybe the change in values give my iMac 2017 2TB hard time. Anyone with same experience?

2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules