Taking stills - question on settings
737 4 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_uUajbzQoUEWa
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help?  

When taking still photos on the Mavic 2 Pro, what is the lowest shutter speed you should use? For handheld cameras there is a rule of thumb of 1/focal length, but with modern cameras with inbuilt image satabilisation you can push this a little further, and with a tripod you can obviously go much further, depending on how stable it is.  What about a drone? How does the stabilisation in the M2Pro gimbal compare to a handheld camera? What is the minimum shutter speed I should use before upping the ISO to prevent motion blur on my shots?

Thanks
2018-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s really up to you, with these cameras it’s similar in windless conditions to having your camera on a tripod, but max shutter would probably run into two second, if your taking photos of motion and you want to freeze actio or blur action, then it will all depend on what your taking photos of, A good way to discover what’s best to shoot for you, it to shoot Aperture priority and see and record the shutter speed camera is choosing for you, and likewise for aperture use shutter priority. I do hear some around saying that at F11, there is some noticeable defraction, but for me I don’t see it, also because these cameras basically shoot landscape keeping your iso to 100 is key , yes maybe for low light night time shots , but always try to keep at 100, use ND Filters if you feel you need them.
2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. I totally agree with what you've said about the rule of thumb with most DSLR's. But with drone's, there is none, especially there is a gimbal attached to the camera. But you may also apply the ruling of the handheld cameras but remember the stability ie wind when flying with drones.  It really all depends still on the shots that you are taking as per Mavic 2 Pro maximum shutter speed is at 8 seconds. Hope this somehow helps. Thank you.
2018-9-20
Use props
djiuser_uUajbzQoUEWa
lvl.2

Thanks - that is really helpful.  So in windless conditions, where there is no motion I wanted to freeze, I could still take pictures up to 2 secs or even 8 secs if I am lucky?  That is fantastic.

A related question- what do the auto ISO settings do about this - I assume that if you are shooting in dim conditions with aperture priority, the auto ISO will increase the ISO once some minimum shutter speed is reached. What shutter speed does it do that at?
2018-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_uUajbzQoUEWa Posted at 2018-9-20 04:19
Thanks - that is really helpful.  So in windless conditions, where there is no motion I wanted to freeze, I could still take pictures up to 2 secs or even 8 secs if I am lucky?  That is fantastic.

A related question- what do the auto ISO settings do about this - I assume that if you are shooting in dim conditions with aperture priority, the auto ISO will increase the ISO once some minimum shutter speed is reached. What shutter speed does it do that at?

If your shooting AV then ISO can be set by yourself, it will only change in full auto mode.
2018-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules