Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
It Happened!!! DJI Spark Crashed!
1290 16 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darkuser999
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51890 ft

What can i say...at first i was shocked and gutted! But now, knowing that i lost all the footage inside and that i no longer have it for the rest of my travels make me feel a lot worse...

I don't know why it happened. I was flying it like any other day. I was in the mountains flying above a dense forest. Weather was fine. It wasnt high or far away and i had plenty of battery. Then it looked like the motors just stopped and it fell out of the sky. I didn't see any birds, nothing! I hope to go for a short hike tomorrow to salvage it...if not the drone, than at least the memory card!

Why did it crash? Am i to assume that this signifies the reliability of drones? Now i know why countries are putting up bans left right and centre. Imagine it hitting someone or damaging property. I have to say i am disappointed. I always thought the technology was reliable and developed enough so that it won't just fall out of the sky for no apparent reason, but apparently i am wrong. Even if i somehow recovered it or got a new one, i now have serious doubts with the technology

2018-9-20
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Ow.

There are reports of the battery not being firmly latched and coming loose. I check mine when I put it in, and I'll 3d print one of those restrainers.
2018-9-20
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.1

Tentoes Posted at 2018-9-20 05:41
Ow.

There are reports of the battery not being firmly latched and coming loose. I check mine when I put it in, and I'll 3d print one of those restrainers.

This case it definitely wasn't the battery as this was one of the things i checked before flying. I also saw the drone plummet. It fell in one piece.
2018-9-20
Use props
nhadley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126266 ft
Australia

Yeah mine fell out the sky today also. Everything was fine and then the motors shut off and it fell from 30 meters and totally destroyed the props and body. I'm trying to contact DJI now to see if I can get a new one I feel your pain.
2018-9-20
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
2018-9-20
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.1

msinger Posted at 2018-9-20 07:06
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I am not actually sure how you access the txt file. Can you tell me where it is on androud?
2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. I would recommend you to contact our support team to start up a case: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav). We have the professional data analysis team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. You can provide your case number here in case you need further assistance. Thanks for your support.
2018-9-20
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

darkuser999 Posted at 2018-9-20 07:15
I am not actually sure how you access the txt file. Can you tell me where it is on androud?

Follow the instructions here.
2018-9-20
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

All RC aircraft are prone to intermittant faults and environmental factors causing crashes.  It is a fun hobby but don't fly what you can't afford to lose.  Prop failure from previous damage?  ESC failure on one of the four motors?  
2018-9-20
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

All RC aircraft are prone to intermittent faults and environmental factors causing crashes.  It is a fun hobby but don't fly what you can't afford to lose.  Prop failure from previous damage?  ESC failure on one of the four motors?
2018-9-20
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.1

I have already contacted the DJI EU support:

Case Number: CAS-2279019-P9D3S7
2018-9-20
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Sorry for your loss
Maybe the battery got detached mid flight, if you didn’t have the battery clip + if you had the old style battery.
As an advice for the future, on your next spark make sure to install the battery clip.
It’s 8 euros on amazon and it gives you a real piece of mind.

Fly safely all
Alex
2018-9-21
Use props
fans0ce2c58c
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-20 07:23
Our apologies for the inconvenience. I would recommend you to contact our support team to start up a case: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav). We have the professional data analysis team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. You can provide your case number here in case you need further assistance. Thanks for your support.

HA!...... @Darkuser999 I feel your pain on the let downs being a double whammy of heart break! With the loss of my beloved drone AND ALL of my shots from the entirety of the 8 day trip that I was on TO SPECIFICALLY go to these places to get these great shots!! ALL OF IT  JUST FLEW AWAY!!!...
& Well so Ive got sad, terrible news for you bud!.... DJI Throws a PAINFUL 3 PUNCH Combo!....
So I Had my spark fly away on me a couple weeks ago. I Did, AS I  ALWAYS DID! & Opened the remote attennas & attached my range extender & plugged in my iPhone w/OTG cable. & Powered on remote. Then removed my gimbal cover & Prop locks. Attached the battery safety strap & landing gear. & Powered on the aircraft. I waited, AS ALWAYS for the GPS Home Point to set & make the announcement.... I fly unhindered. Then at 1min 50secs, 260ft up & 900ft out, Then My drone in crystal clear line of sight without an obstacle to be seen between us! Without ANY Warning whatsoever! Decided to disconnect with the remote & Fly off into the sunset!!! NOT ONE TIME ATTEMPTING TO RECONNECT With the remote! Nor ANY Beeps or warning announcements! Nor ANY visual on screen alerts!! Not to mention that I was in the middle of the desert, 100 miles from anything! Had DJI RANGE EXTENDERS Properly attached! & Instantly began running for higher ground! NOPE! NONE of that mattered or helped! & All that said, Still w/o even mentioning that the "AUTO RETURN TO HOME" function that is supposed to automatically turn around & return home upon disconnect with the remote! IT NEVER DID! I mean, 'DJI' That comes standard on these drones, right?!?...  2 Days I spent out there in the searing heat! Out of water! & Nothing to eat! Near killing myself trying to find the AC! But never did!..
Defeated! I unwillingly give up, return home. & File a claim...
So Just 2 days ago I heard back from this "Professional Data Analysis Team!!"... And do you know what they told me man?...... That after reviewing my flight records & logs & VERIFYING & CONFIRMING that I IN FACT DID DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK!.. BUT! (& I Quote!) "The pilot pushed the pitch stick forward, the aircraft flew forward and the flight record ended at t=01:49, h=79 m, d=274 m. With the record ended,  we could not verify what happened afterward. We truly appreciate your support for DJI. If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 30% off discount!"................

WHHAM!!! THIRD Sucker Punch for the KnockOut!!!.........& For the WIN Showing NO Mercy!.........DJI & The SUPPORT Team!!!

HA!.... 30%!?!..... Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!! Why not just spit in my face while they're at it!!!
I wish you the BEST Of luck bud! & Im sorry for your loss....
2018-9-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

darkuser999 Posted at 2018-9-20 07:15
I am not actually sure how you access the txt file. Can you tell me where it is on androud?

follow the link, there is described what you need to know
2018-9-21
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-9-20 09:24
All RC aircraft are prone to intermittent faults and environmental factors causing crashes.  It is a fun hobby but don't fly what you can't afford to lose.  Prop failure from previous damage?  ESC failure on one of the four motors?

It was a DJI Spark, on balance it is not something i cannot "afford" to lose...that being said, a value of $800-900 is hardly pocket money either...

Far more important though is the footage that i lost and all the time and effort i put in to make them. Even more important are the specific circumstances that led to such footage that may not be repeated -- reasons why loss of photography equipment is always more than a loss of the camera.

I understand the RC devices, indeed all electronic equipment, are prone to mechanical failure. However, i did expect it to be more than RC toy with a camera. What about the warning signals and messages? I received none. What about all those fancy sensors, fail-safe and RTH systems. Nothing! It just fell out of the the sky like a common garden tool! I assumed that the technology was such that the least it WON'T do is fail without any apparent reason with less than 20 hours of flight! Thats what it did.
2018-9-22
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Captain
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

For sure your battery fell out. It happened to me too. Battery strap Hack   . Losing my Spark and then finding it   
2021-5-22
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Captain
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fans0ce2c58c Posted at 2018-9-21 05:38
HA!...... @Darkuser999 I feel your pain on the let downs being a double whammy of heart break! With the loss of my beloved drone AND ALL of my shots from the entirety of the 8 day trip that I was on TO SPECIFICALLY go to these places to get these great shots!! ALL OF IT  JUST FLEW AWAY!!!...
& Well so Ive got sad, terrible news for you bud!.... DJI Throws a PAINFUL 3 PUNCH Combo!....
So I Had my spark fly away on me a couple weeks ago. I Did, AS I  ALWAYS DID! & Opened the remote attennas & attached my range extender & plugged in my iPhone w/OTG cable. & Powered on remote. Then removed my gimbal cover & Prop locks. Attached the battery safety strap & landing gear. & Powered on the aircraft. I waited, AS ALWAYS for the GPS Home Point to set & make the announcement.... I fly unhindered. Then at 1min 50secs, 260ft up & 900ft out, Then My drone in crystal clear line of sight without an obstacle to be seen between us! Without ANY Warning whatsoever! Decided to disconnect with the remote & Fly off into the sunset!!! NOT ONE TIME ATTEMPTING TO RECONNECT With the remote! Nor ANY Beeps or warning announcements! Nor ANY visual on screen alerts!! Not to mention that I was in the middle of the desert, 100 miles from anything! Had DJI RANGE EXTENDERS Properly attached! & Instantly began running for higher ground! NOPE! NONE of that mattered or helped! & All that said, Still w/o even mentioning that the "AUTO RETURN TO HOME" function that is supposed to automatically turn around & return home upon disconnect with the remote! IT NEVER DID! I mean, 'DJI' That comes standard on these drones, right?!?...  2 Days I spent out there in the searing heat! Out of water! & Nothing to eat! Near killing myself trying to find the AC! But never did!..

It's a flaw with the Spark and the Battery attachment.
2021-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules