Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro?
2340 15 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

Right now I am trying to decide on what my upgrade from Phantom 4 is going to be, with the Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 pro

I have heard that the P4P mechanical shutter produces clearer video in sideways video and panning shots, but I don't know if that's truly the case or not. It's something I notice with my P4, video from sideways moving shots is sub optimal. If the mechanical shutter on the P4P is only for still photos and the sideways or panning video from the MP2 is just as good as the P4P camera then the scales just tipped in favour of the Mavic.

Portability is a nice to have for me, not an absolute need to have, as don't find the P4 I have in its factory case too cumbersome at all.

Another thing tipping the scales in the MP2 favour is the absense of props in shots, I find that an issue with some P4 footage if I don't remember to tilt the camera down when going fast.

Things that tip the scales in the P4P favour are: Batteries - I already have 3 that will work with it, even though they aren't the new higher capacity. Props - I have lots of spares already.  Camera - the P4P camera, although it's not a Hasselblad, seems to have a couple of advantages over the MP2 camera, 4K60 being one of them. As for the mechanical shutter, still trying to find out more. The MP2 mechanical aperture is tentalizing however.  Flight modes, P4P wins here, particularly with course and home lock modes.

The other thing is I like flying with a tablet, not a phone. Originally I had a samsung 10" tablet, but with newer GO app versions not reliable on it, I picked up a iPad mini 4 7" screen that works great, and fits in the factory case. I wouldn't want to fly with anything smaller. I have seen pictures of the Mavic controller with bigger looking tablets than a phone so assuming they would fit my iPad mini.
2018-9-20
Use props
FlyingUser
lvl.1

Netherlands

"I have heard that the P4P mechanical shutter produces clearer video" - there is no mechanical shutter in video. Not just in the p4p, but in any digital video camera for that matter. The video of the p4p is clearer, crisper, that's correct, but it is because of it does a better sensor readout than the mp2. Interestingly, stills from the p4p are also a tad better even though it uses the same sensor and a very similar lens.

"the absense of props in shots" - you have to ask yourself, how often will you fly with gimbal up? I rarely - extremely rarely do.

The image quality issues are very much discussed in other threads, like this one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=166563
I would be interested in flight performance, especially in strong winds?
2018-9-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4P any day over the M2P not as good an image ... sorry
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. For better understanding, please click the link below. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2018-9-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

"I have heard that the P4P mechanical shutter produces clearer video"

INDEED .. YES !
2018-9-21
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-9-21 07:36

Okay, Im confused (wouldnt be the first time)  From what I read most digital video cameras do not use a mechanical shutter.  Not the ones that mere mortals would buy anyway.  
2018-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-9-21 07:56
Okay, Im confused (wouldnt be the first time)  From what I read most digital video cameras do not use a mechanical shutter.  Not the ones that mere mortals would buy anyway.

Yes, my D800 has a shutter, sound...

RedHotPoker
2018-9-21
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-21 08:06
Yes, my D800 has a shutter, sound...

So does the P4P but the system is not fast enough to shoot video.  Its used for stills.  That is what I am gathering anyway.  
2018-9-21
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-9-21 07:36

Indeed, no .
2018-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-9-21 08:24
So does the P4P but the system is not fast enough to shoot video.  Its used for stills.  That is what I am gathering anyway.

Which system isn’t fast Enough?

This...

RedHotPoker
2018-9-21
Use props
cameracollector
Second Officer
Canada

Whether the P4P used it's mechanical shutter in videos is moot actually, if the clarity in sideways or panning videos does not show the artifacting that I see with the P4 is what matters to me.

I have read that overall video quality is a bit better with the P4P over the M2P, but I'm curious as to how the sideways motion between the two compare.
2018-9-21
Use props
cameracollector
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-21 07:31
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. For better understanding, please click the link below. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav

I have read the comparisons, but they do not answer my question.

Is the mechanical shutter in the Phantom 4 Pro used for stills only, or is it used for both stills and video?
2018-9-21
Use props
cameracollector
Second Officer
Canada

FlyingUser Posted at 2018-9-21 03:27
"I have heard that the P4P mechanical shutter produces clearer video" - there is no mechanical shutter in video. Not just in the p4p, but in any digital video camera for that matter. The video of the p4p is clearer, crisper, that's correct, but it is because of it does a better sensor readout than the mp2. Interestingly, stills from the p4p are also a tad better even though it uses the same sensor and a very similar lens.

"the absense of props in shots" - you have to ask yourself, how often will you fly with gimbal up? I rarely - extremely rarely do.

Same, but once in awhile I do, but usually I am travelling quite slow so props are not an issue.

Unless it's quite breezy, then I'll tilt the camera down. It would be nice not to have to worry about the props at all though.
2018-9-21
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

cameracollector Posted at 2018-9-21 10:05
I have read the comparisons, but they do not answer my question.

Is the mechanical shutter in the Phantom 4 Pro used for stills only, or is it used for both stills and video?

The mechanical shutter works in photo mode only.  
This way the the rolling shutter effect can be prevented when shooting fast moving objects.

Regarding your initial question:
The best video quality on the M2P is with HQ mode which results in a zoom. That acutally comes pretty close to the zoom on the M2 Zoom.
Still the quality does not reach the P4P.  That issue upon yawing which is quite severe on the M2P is apparently due to slow sensor readout. Rumors have it that the sensor would overheat otherwise.
Also the 60fps at 4K that the P4P offers make a very big difference.

The M2P offers something in photo mode that the P4P doesn't: HDR.
I find that it works very well. Quite convenient over the bracketing option and HDR merging in post.
And even when shooting moving objects there are no ghosts in the DJI HDR.

If your focus is on video filming I would go with the P4P.
If it is still photography the M2P will be perfect.

2018-9-21
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Greece

Phantom 4 Pro
2018-9-21
Use props
cameracollector
Second Officer
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2018-9-21 11:01
The mechanical shutter works in photo mode only.  
This way the the rolling shutter effect can be prevented when shooting fast moving objects.

Thanks - I've been leaning towards the P4P anyways, but I think you helped me make my mind up.  In any case I'll probably be waiting until spring now given that I live in a cold climate so perhaps by then there'll be another option or if they come out with a Phantom 5 then P4P should drop in price.

I shoot stock video so video quality is the most important, particularly side motion video.

I like the low light quality on both aircraft from samples I have seen, the larger sensor will allow me to get a lot more night footage.
For the stills I do take, even my P4 does an adequate job, and with 4k60p on the P4P grabbing passable quality stills from video footage will be an option too.
2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules