2318 52 2018-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi Guys, So today was I would say the worst flight I have ever had so far. Our office was holding a cultral day and they asked me to video the whole thing for them. When i took off ( from the parking area which has full cars around, carports, and from cement ground with steel under it) the drone just shot side wards uncontrolably. It did a circle and was heading straight for our office building, I hit the pause nothing happended, all i could think off was for no one there to get hurt and i barely had control of the drone but tried in vain, I pushed the sticks up hoping it would hit the bigger building next to my office and crash there but as it went higher it started doing like a loop in the air. I managed to stop it eventually by pushing the pause about 4 times and the drone just stopped dead, compass errors imu error were all flying on my screen, once i saw that the drone seemed okay to bring down I slowly landed, switched off and restarted, this time it was perfect again, no issues.

Now I know that all that steel around me was the cause but strangely enough I have done many flights from the same car park. Came home and refreshed firmware etc and went on another flight, 2,7 km and went perfect, on its return the Gimble did a restart mid air, seems to be issues with this drone
2018-9-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You live to fight another day, good job, sounds like mag interference, alls well and ended well
2018-9-21
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I had something just like this happen to me last week. Luckily for me it was in a big open field and I was able to land it. Turned it off and on and everything was fine all of a sudden.
2018-9-21
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

My heart was pounding just reading about  the mishap.
Glad to see the outcome was in your favor.

2018-9-21
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Jeeewhizz, thankfully you got it back in one piece. I feel that heart beating, nail biting thing everytime the video freeze on my phone, and I have to get that little thing back.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-21 08:12
You live to fight another day, good job, sounds like mag interference, alls well and ended well

It was mag interfernce, was gut wrenching.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-21 08:13
I had something just like this happen to me last week. Luckily for me it was in a big open field and I was able to land it. Turned it off and on and everything was fine all of a sudden.

Strange how it picks up the interfernce but after restarting it, it is perfect again
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-21 08:22
My heart was pounding just reading about  the mishap.
Glad to see the outcome was in your favor.

Thanks, if you watch the video from the phone you will laugh because you can hear me saying hey hey hey when the drone starts doing its own thing, I almost died
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-21 08:35
Jeeewhizz, thankfully you got it back in one piece. I feel that heart beating, nail biting thing everytime the video freeze on my phone, and I have to get that little thing back.

You can say that again, went on another quick flight now after updating to 0500 firmware with my S9+ and it just disconnected Rc and Phone no connection lucky the drone intiated RTH and it was not far away around 200 meters but with no light around the sensors were not working well so restarted rc quickly as it was coming back and reconnected again.
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I am glad that it has ended well. If people around are at risk, I personally would consider the CSC as an option.
2018-9-21
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 08:41
You can say that again, went on another quick flight now after updating to 0500 firmware with my S9+ and it just disconnected Rc and Phone no connection lucky the drone intiated RTH and it was not far away around 200 meters but with no light around the sensors were not working well so restarted rc quickly as it was coming back and reconnected again.

Is that firmware for the MA also? To scared to update, after the disaster i had with the 0.400. Send it in, and now it works. I have the same thing. Got used to it, disconnect, restart, connect fly...........
2018-9-21
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 08:38
Strange how it picks up the interfernce but after restarting it, it is perfect again

Yeah it was crazy. I had never had anything like that happen to me before.. I was freaking out though.. That whole sinking feeling in your chest and everything...
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 08:44
I am glad that it has ended well. If people around are at risk, I personally would consider the CSC as an option.

Thanks me as well, What is CSC
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-21 08:45
Is that firmware for the MA also? To scared to update, after the disaster i had with the 0.400. Send it in, and now it works. I have the same thing. Got used to it, disconnect, restart, connect fly...........

Mavic Pro only so far
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-21 08:48
Yeah it was crazy. I had never had anything like that happen to me before.. I was freaking out though.. That whole sinking feeling in your chest and everything...

Yup, So far for me as well this is a first that I had a rogue drone
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 08:49
Thanks me as well, What is CSC

The same stick position that you use for starting the motors. It also shuts the motors down in flight.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 08:53
The same stick position that you use for starting the motors. It also shuts the motors down in flight.

stupid me
2018-9-21
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Very good to know, that everything finished well. Fly safe. Accidents like this may happen from time to time unfortunately
2018-9-21
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Very Strange, did you have a chance to look at the flight logs.  Do you know how many Satellites you had before lift off?
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

I have just checked the MP manual. It seems that like for the M2P there are two options in the GO 4 settings. Default is that CSC will only work in flight if the aircraft detects an emergency situation. The second option will make it always work.
2018-9-21
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

All you could manage was hey hey hey buddy you need to come fly with us and when something goes wrong Miche will teach you new expletives that will turn your hair grey and make your ears bleed   I am delighted it all ended well and no damage other than heart palpitations
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 09:00
I have just checked the MP manual. It seems that like for the M2P there are two options in the GO 4 settings. Default is that CSC will only work in flight if the aircraft detects an emergency situation. The second option will make it always work.

Thanks Buddy, will look into that.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-9-21 09:07
All you could manage was hey hey hey buddy you need to come fly with us and when something goes wrong Miche will teach you new expletives that will turn your hair grey and make your ears bleed   I am delighted it all ended well and no damage other than heart palpitations

I had some F words towards the end when it finally landed
2018-9-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 09:28

Would one of these 'F's have been 'Flight record' ?

The cause may be fairly obvious if you'd share the flight:-

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
2018-9-21
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

That's classic emi when both compass go crazy. The drone will start flying in little to big circles on the horizontal plane. I thought they wrote in a software fix to drop to atti when that happens?
2018-9-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 09:28

Such as: Faith, Fantastic, Flying, Finished, Finally, Faint ?
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-21 09:52
Would one of these 'F's have been 'Flight record' ?

The cause may be fairly obvious if you'd share the flight:-

F for F*%#, no need for the flight records as i know it was all the steel around me that caused the issues
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-21 09:53
That's classic emi when both compass go crazy. The drone will start flying in little to big circles on the horizontal plane. I thought they wrote in a software fix to drop to atti when that happens?

It did drop to atti mode and that is how I possible got control back when i pressed the pause button
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-21 10:02

Such as: Faith, Fantastic, Flying, Finished, Finally, Faint ?

Those words are not even close to what I was saying, mine were more colourful
2018-9-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Being you have flown from area before, and it is conveniently easy to check.
Investigating needs to be done at exact spot of take off, as to whether there is a source of magnetic interference.  Especially if you ever plan to fly from area again.

If there is not a source of magnetic interference sufficient enough to cause compass problem, then something else caused faithful flight.
If there is a source of magnetic interference at exact spot of take off, strong enough to cause compass problems, you should have gotten an Alert.

Other possibility is as you took off you flew very near an elevated source of magnetic interference, like a parked car or metal parking cover.
2018-9-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 10:09
F for F*%#, no need for the flight records as i know it was all the steel around me that caused the issues

So it was F for 'Flux', as in magnetic flux interference  ;-)

I just thought it may have been interesting to follow it through to see what actions the aircraft took.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-21 10:15
Being you have flown from area before, and it is conveniently easy to check.
Investigating needs to be done at exact spot of take off, as to whether there is a source of magnetic interference.  Especially if you ever plan to fly from area again.

From my point of take off there were plenty of cars on the opposite sides of me, took off from the centre of them, also our building being a security company has alot of radio repeaters on top of the building, all these could have been the cause. I have flown there many times mostly in the early hours of the morning around 6am when no cars are around and have not had issues, this time was different and i attributed it to the cars on wither side
2018-9-21
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Let this be a lesson everyone. This person is a captain and got control of his bird but actually should have never taken it off the ground rofl Glad nothing bad happened. We learn from our mistakes lol
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-21 10:22
So it was F for 'Flux', as in magnetic flux interference  ;-)

I just thought it may have been interesting to follow it through to see what actions the aircraft took.

I am to lazy now to connect my phone to the pc and since my flight logs all auto upload to airdata, you can have a look at this,
https://app.airdata.com/flight/0 ... ENERALNotifications
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 10:45
I am to lazy now to connect my phone to the pc and since my flight logs all auto upload to airdata, you can have a look at this,
https://app.airdata.com/flight/056c611d0abd7141a3bce82f7286e225/GENERALNotifications

Ok, with all these clear warnings before take off and even more at the moment of take off, what precisely hindered you from landing immediately?
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 11:35
Ok, with all these clear warnings before take off and even more at the moment of take off, what precisely hindered you from landing immediately?

The compass error came just as soon as i lifted off, could not land as it began to spin, tried to get under control and failed at first.
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Suren Posted at 2018-9-21 11:53
The compass error came just as soon as i lifted off, could not land as it began to spin, tried to get under control and failed at first.

I understand. For me this would have been the perfect moment for CSC. Probably would not even have caused significant damage to aircraft at this low height.
2018-9-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 11:57
I understand. For me this would have been the perfect moment for CSC. Probably would not even have caused significant damage to aircraft at this low height.

That will be in my mind the next time(hopefully not) that this happens
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, sorry to hear about the mishap. I'm glad it didn't crash. Please make sure to fly your drone with no any magnetic interference to avoid this issue. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you and have a safe flight.
2018-9-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you didn't crash. Yes you lived to fly another day.
2018-9-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules