Low altitude
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I have flown 212 flights with my P3A in 1.5 years and most are at 200 or more feet above my home point (no trees to hit up there).  Now I am learning how to fly low.  There is a “farm” park near me in Marietta, GA where the terrain is constantly changing, but just open fields.  I fly very close to the wheat heads and then bob over little trees and back down.  I then fly to a field that I cannot even see from my home position and do the same thing.  Finally, I flew to an even further field (.7 miles away) and flew around it just above the grass! Flying is so much more fun at 3 feet than 250, going between trees and under branches.  Like a bird, I am!  Just sayin’

2018-9-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, I agree.  You just have to be careful because your so-called altitude reading could change without your being aware of it - meaning the number you see on your screen may differ from reality, and it could happen unexpectedly, putting your AC into the wheat.

Good luck
2018-9-21
Use props
bob37
lvl.4

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-21 15:14
Yes, I agree.  You just have to be careful because your so-called altitude reading could change without your being aware of it - meaning the number you see on your screen may differ from reality, and it could happen unexpectedly, putting your AC into the wheat.

Good luck

I am just looking at the view on the screen.  Sometimes i use 3D goggles, but usually not.  I do not look at the altitude numbers.  It is fun to see the birds come out to see just what I am!  Since I am up on a knoll, my altitudes are mostly below zero.  
2018-9-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like fun, but it could cost you your drone.
2018-9-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha bob,

Yes, it is a lot of fun, but the commenters are also right in suggesting caution.  Fly safe is the mantra here.  May I suggest you also do a mental experiment during one of your flights.  Pick a random spot and imagine you just crashed.  Would you be able to find your Phantom?

There are a number of ways this can be done.  But it is best that you know how to do it before it happens.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-22
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Without video it never happened...  LOL
2018-9-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Rock on bob ...... I get fun out of doing similar ... and one way to rejuvenate interest in my P3 is to fly the trees ... weaving and flying low level through the lot ... with some going through V's of branches ...

But I would caution about the lesser signal strength at Rx when at low level and distance. You are obviously gaining advantage from being on a knoll and the flight is clear over open area. But different terrain or relationship of your home point and flight area could easily be a different scenario ....

Rock on !!  The P3 is a boring machine at best ... and this brings interest to the flying.

Nigel
2018-9-22
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

100% agree. there is a way more immersive experience when you fly low. From a point, when you go higher, it just doesnt look good. It looks the same
2018-9-22
Use props
bob37
lvl.4

Thermographer Posted at 2018-9-22 04:41
Without video it never happened...  LOL

Here you go!  It is 8 minutes long and not very exciting, but the low altitude flight to a far field.  

2018-9-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Here's my playing around in the trees with my old P3S ...

And here's the screen recording that I used to do the flight :

Nigel
2018-9-23
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

bob37 Posted at 2018-9-22 19:42
Here you go!  It is 8 minutes long and not very exciting, but the low altitude flight to a far field.  
https://youtu.be/dRD2SjeiygY

Awesome, Thanks!
2018-9-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another thing i must point out, if you fly in sports mode, it tends to drop some in altitude, just bear that in mind for future reference,  i dont know if its just cause its low to the ground or its the same at higher alts. I have thoroughly tested this too, flew a field at about 4ft off the ground, it was a flat/level field, at full speed in gps mode, no issues, it holds alt, in sports and atti, it starts to drop....
2018-9-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-23 20:22
Another thing i must point out, if you fly in sports mode, it tends to drop some in altitude, just bear that in mind for future reference,  i dont know if its just cause its low to the ground or its the same at higher alts. I have thoroughly tested this too, flew a field at about 4ft off the ground, it was a flat/level field, at full speed in gps mode, no issues, it holds alt, in sports and atti, it starts to drop....

Luckily Sport mode is not an issue with a P3 ...

But ATTI or any mode that is not using the GPS stabilisation will not maintain straight and level because it is always subject to exterior influence with no corrector except YOU on the sticks.
The Flight Controller uses all inputs to maintain the flight you command...

Lets say GPS mode and you are hovering. You now fly forward. The lift factor has changed dramatically but FC detects and compensates and you basically fly forward at same height as the hover.
Do that in ATTI mode and now FC has reduced inputs to work with and the initial movement forward creates a lift change that is not instantly corrected and the model drops momentarily ... the FC is only acting to fly forward ... YOU need to assist the FC in giving a slight increase on 'throttle' ....

This is a factor you soon learn with lesser multi-rotors and Heli's etc.

Its a good point Bashy and one that anyone thinking about ATTI flight should know along with the fact that ATTI mode has no auto stop to the movement as with GPS mode. Let go of sticks and model will still continue for a bit in the last direction. GPS mode causes it to stop.

Nigel
2018-9-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-23 20:22

I would rather fly low over land than water.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-24
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

If you want excitement in your flying try piloting a racing drone or going freestyle with one. Certainly a whole different ball game to flying a Phantom.
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules