Android mobile device for the Mavic 2 ?
10792 22 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I know that Apple is the recommened mobile device for DJI drones  but how many of you are using Android succesfully and which phone or android tablet are you using ? I have a Mavic 2 Pro on order and I'm wondering if I will need to buy a Apple mobile device. I currently have a Pixel XL and Nexus 6 phones and a Samsung tablet.
2018-9-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Please see the list of mobile devices/ tablets below that is fully compatible devices to run the app. Thank you.

2018-9-22
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

I have the Pixel XL as well and it is on Android 9.
It did a good job on my M2P flights - no app crashes like I had under Android 8.
My very first two flights were with the Nexus 6P being on 8.0 and I had app crashes.

I have the feeling that the more stable Ocusync has a lot to do with it.
Flying my P4P v1 with Android 8 always resulted in app crashes.

With your range of devices you should be good and I would test them all before moving to an Apple device.
Although I currently fly with the iPad Mini 4 only ;-)

Smartphones I find to small and my Samsung Tab S3 is to me overkill weight wise above that tiny remote.
2018-9-22
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I have using a Note8 just fine with mine.
2018-9-22
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-9-22 10:55
I have the Pixel XL as well and it is on Android 9.
It did a good job on my M2P flights - no app crashes like I had under Android 8.
My very first two flights were with the Nexus 6P being on 8.0 and I had app crashes.

Ok I will update my Pixel XL to 9 I have been holding off on the update to see if there would be any problems.
Thanks
2018-9-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Depending on what you plan to invest my recommendation would be the DJI CrystalSky (either 5.5'' or 7.85'' High Brightness). Others will tell you that support for it is a bit slow (which is true unfortunately until now but hopefully will improve). I own mine since quite a while already and would not want to fly with any other device again.
2018-9-22
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

What size of CS do you use  ? I also wonder  about   the M2 controller with the 5.5 inch display  as to when it will be released and how much it is going to cost. Hopefully it will come out around the holidays. And maybe they will have a 7 inch also.
2018-9-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-22 13:20
What size of CS do you use  ? I also wonder  about   the M2 controller with the 5.5 inch display  as to when it will be released and how much it is going to cost. Hopefully it will come out around the holidays. And maybe they will have a 7 inch also.

I’ve used CrystalSky, Samsung Galaxies and Notes, and an iPhone 7. By far the best experience graphically and functionally has been this iPad Pro 10.5 (cellular model with gps).  I get more range and NO errors or disconnects. It’s powerful and has a display that is just Apple showing off. And yes, I said MORE RANGE. And the worst was CrystalSky. It’s slow and low resolution. But bright (duh). And updates take forever and it feels like Android 4.0, so good luck with that 1.

Not sure what’s up with the “flight distance” thing here, but mine should say a million. Just last week it said 850k, now it’s less lol. Perhaps all that flying backwards?
2018-9-22
Use props
Jannistmb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 516161 ft
  • >>>

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-22 13:20

I have tested many android devices and sadly the problems are too many for me personally.Now since 4 months i use Ipad mini 4 with the dji mavic pro and before a week a bought the mavic 2 pro no issues at all everything works smooth.
2018-9-22
Use props
Willybe_MA
lvl.2
United States

Noveo Tab4 8" with no problems,  running GO4 and litichi  on mavic air  I will say iam glad i didnt go with the 10"
2018-9-22
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Is this what you have ? Compared to its similarly priced competitors, the Tab 4 8 is on the brighter side, at 429 nits. This score surprisingly beat out showings from the Lenovo Tab 4 10 (307 nits) and Amazon Fire HD 8 (380 nits), as well as the category average (392 nits). The Apple iPad (470 nits) is brightest, but it's impressive that Lenovo's $128 tablet fell only 41 nits below that mark. Very inexpensive and it handles the DJI Go 4 app fine ?
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-An ... enovo+tab+4+8&psc=1

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/lenovo-tab-4-8

2018-9-22
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

I'm using a Galaxy S8, and had disconnecting issues ONLY with the supplied USB C cable from DJI.

The app went back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected". One time, I even lost all app controls and had to press the return home button.

Since I'm using an other cable (Syncwire), I almost have zero issues. I say almost because on one of my last flight, I lost total control of the drone, the remote couldn't connect to my M2Pro but I'm not sure if that issue is related to Android or the remote. Luckily the security protocol triggered and it went back home all by itself.

It might sound scary but this happened to me only once with my own cable.

2018-9-22
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-22 12:31
Depending on what you plan to invest my recommendation would be the DJI CrystalSky (either 5.5'' or 7.85'' High Brightness). Others will tell you that support for it is a bit slow (which is true unfortunately until now but hopefully will improve). I own mine since quite a while already and would not want to fly with any other device again.

the crystal sky is so overpriced  if the m2 was cheaper then it would be worth the investment
2018-9-22
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Chpouky Posted at 2018-9-22 14:36
I'm using a Galaxy S8, and had disconnecting issues ONLY with the supplied USB C cable from DJI.

The app went back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected". One time, I even lost all app controls and had to press the return home button.

I have heard about 4 or 5 stories of people having disconnects in the last couple of weeks between the controller and the aircraft , one guy on facebook showed a video of his Mavic 2 hovering about  8ft off the ground and he was standing next to it and the controller  was  saying connecting and he wasn't even using a phone or tablet. I'm wondering if it is a firmware bug in the controller .
2018-9-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the only devices you really can consider are Organic Light Emitted Displays (OLEDs).

I have both the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Google Nexus 5, both of these devices are capable of handling DJI GO 4, but only when flying in bright sunshine the Nexus 5 doesn't get the job done because it has an IPS display, while my Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 2560x1440p Super-Amoled.

The two new iPhones by Apple: Xs / Max - are OLEDs which therefore should be great for viewing GO 4. At the end of the day mobile devices with a physical home button are better than a virtual home button, merely because you always want to revert to a physical home button when experiencing screen freezing/other issues. Therefore, I would rank the best mobile devices accordingly:

1) Samsung Galaxy Note 7
2) Samsung Galaxy S7
3) Samsung Galaxy Note 9
4) Apple iPhone Xs
5) Apple iPhone Xs Max
6) Samsung Galaxy Note 8
7) Samsung Galaxy S9
8) Samsung Galaxy S8
9) Apple iPhone X
10) Samsung Galaxy Note 6
2018-9-22
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Nice , Thanks for the list.
2018-9-22
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

For m2pro, rooted Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 W09 with 5g wifi unlocked for the US, upgraded to marshmallow. Picked 2 of them up for 200 bucks each last year. Such a good deal couldn't pass it up. Was on slickdeals if I remember right.

This one https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Me ... ranty/dp/B01LB08BH6
2018-9-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-22 16:03
I think the only devices you really can consider are Organic Light Emitted Displays (OLEDs).

I have both the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Google Nexus 5, both of these devices are capable of handling DJI GO 4, but only when flying in bright sunshine the Nexus 5 doesn't get the job done because it has an IPS display, while my Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 2560x1440p Super-Amoled.

Does anybody have anymore suggestions?
2018-9-24
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Anyone else had success using a Android mobile device with the Mavic 2  and had little or no lag or Go App problems ?
2018-9-24
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Huawei P10 pro and P20 Pro, perfect. Samsung S10.5, slow, poor visibility and lag. Samsung S7, crap in my opinion, more problems than flying.
2018-9-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Works perfectly here on my Pixel 2 XL and Huawei Mediapad M3.  As did the old mavic pro.  You certainly dont need to waste money on an overpriced apple device.No lag, no dropouts, no freezes.  It just works.

2018-9-25
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-22 14:07
Is this what you have ? Compared to its similarly priced competitors, the Tab 4 8 is on the brighter side, at 429 nits. This score surprisingly beat out showings from the Lenovo Tab 4 10 (307 nits) and Amazon Fire HD 8 (380 nits), as well as the category average (392 nits). The Apple iPad (470 nits) is brightest, but it's impressive that Lenovo's $128 tablet fell only 41 nits below that mark. Very inexpensive and it handles the DJI Go 4 app fine ?
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-An ... enovo+tab+4+8&psc=1

Lenovo Tabs run pure Android, I use a Tab3-8Plus for my Mavic Pro, it runs seamlessly, so the Tab4-8Plus is my next purchase.
(The 8 presumably refers to the # CPU cores [8] and the Plus means it has 3Gb RAM). The bright screen is a bonus and the price is right.

A few other things that I liked are that it's totally unlocked (OK plenty of pre-loaded Google Apps, but easy to delete) and it has twin SIM/Card sockets.

Biggest downside is the size, it requires a mount - but then I see the big screen as a bonus.

I have already asked DJI to test one as I have had 0 disconnects in 8 months of use .
2018-9-25
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Boffin Posted at 2018-9-25 01:48
Lenovo Tabs run pure Android, I use a Tab3-8Plus for my Mavic Pro, it runs seamlessly, so the Tab4-8Plus is my next purchase.
(The 8 presumably refers to the # CPU cores [8] and the Plus means it has 3Gb RAM). The bright screen is a bonus and the price is right.

That is good news and  it seems like DJI has the Go 4 app working better with Android now. I think I will order the Lenovo  Tab4  8"
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules