Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Display of registration numbers on drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jdo300
lvl.1
United States

Hello All,

When I first bought my Phantom 4 Pro, I registered myself under the Section 336 rules as a hobbyest and placed my registration number on the drone. Since then, I earned my Remote Pilot's licence and got a registration number for the drone under the Part 107 rules. Does it matter if I place both registration numbers on the drone (so I can fly under either rule set) or can I only have one number marked on it?

Thanks,
Jason O
2018-9-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hi Jason,

I believe you're supposed to have only one number, and it would have to be the Part 107 number.  I do know for sure that you can fly under Sec 336 or Part 107 and use the Part 107 number as your registration number in either case.  Since that's true, there's no point in having the 336 number, so you might as well take it off if you can.  OTOH, theoretically it's supposed to be permanently adhered to your AC, so if you can't get it off and you did have two numbers, I don't think anybody's going to knock on your door and haul you off to federal prison.  But just to make sure, I will email my connection at FAA and pose the question and see what she says.  

Stay tuned

2018-9-22
Use props
Sam Drucker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

I put the registration number the FAA sent me on mine, just like a full size plane. My Remote Pilot Certificate lets me fly any drone for money, regardless of the FAA number.
2018-9-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Sam Drucker Posted at 2018-9-23 10:12
I put the registration number the FAA sent me on mine, just like a full size plane. My Remote Pilot Certificate lets me fly any drone for money, regardless of the FAA number.

If you're flying 107, the AC must be registered under 107.  You can't just fly any drone you want under 107.  Each AC must be registered indepently as a 107 registered AC if it is going to be flown at any time under 107.  I'd post a link but I'm tryin' to watch the ball game.

Edit next morning:  here's the link - shoot to the 3 min mark

Now if you can have the AC registered as 107 and still get by with the hobbyist number on there... I suppose that's possible.  Let's see what FAA says...

2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guess we're going to need to know about this in the UK next year.
2018-9-23
Use props
Sam Drucker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 426375 ft

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-23 11:42
If you're flying 107, the AC must be registered under 107.  You can't just fly any drone you want under 107.  Each AC must be registered indepently as a 107 registered AC if it is going to be flown at any time under 107.  I'd post a link but I'm tryin' to watch the ball game.

Edit next morning:  here's the link - shoot to the 3 min mark

Thanks Mark !
2018-9-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

My pleasure - and your post just reminded me I got an email this morning from FAA.  I had cut and pasted the OP to the mail I sent to FAA on Friday.  My connection didn't respond.  Instead I got this from UASHelp@faa.gov:

Hello. The drone/s you use for Part 107 must have a Part 107 registration, thus, place the Part 107 registration number on the drone. You can still operate the Part 107 registered drone/s under Section 336 rules if the flight is for recreation only.

You can still use your Section 336 registration for drone/s you only use for recreation.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

GH

Please follow up with any further inquiries at UASHelp@faa.gov.  

<end>

2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules