Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

As the thread title noted, a new Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Bill Was Introduced Today, which was the result of negotiations between House and Senate leaders.  There are several provisions in the bill that will impact our use of DJI products, and the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) is currently conducting a thorough assessment of the bill with their legal and government affairs teams.  DJI works with the AMA on issues concerning our use of DJI products.

Some of the changes are positive and reflect the AMA's efforts to forcefully advocate for AMA members, and our hobby, inclusive of the non-commercial use of DJI products. The bill defines a community based organization (CBO) and allows the FAA to designate CBOs, something the AMA has championed for years.  At the same time, other provisions appear problematic, and allow the FAA more authority to further encroach on "our" hobby.

You can read the entire 1200 page FAA reauthorization bill here, and the AMA will provide a more thorough analysis in the near future.  If these issues concern you, you may help by contacting your members of Congress.  The AMA web site can provide information to assist in this effort.  

In my own opinion, these issues alone justify the membership fee for joining the AMA to help preserve the wonderful advantages and benefits of our use of DJI products.  The AMA is in constant cummunication with its membership unless the member deliberately stops that communication.

Aloha and Drone On!

2018-9-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing this info
2018-9-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting updates to see.
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-23 00:52
Interesting updates to see.

Aloha CW,

How do you like the 1200 page reauthorization.  Light reading like our drones!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All of these regs are getting beyond the joke now. Council workers will be able to hand out on the spot fines here in the UK soon and confiscate drones and police can carry out body searches... crazy!
2018-9-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Great thread and great well-written OP.  THANKS
2018-9-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, we appreciate sharing this information with our co-pilots. Have a safe flight always.
2018-9-23
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just as info, our part starts on page 246.  The exemption for recreation use starts on page 282.   The whole thing runs thru page 348.   Only 102 pages, barely enuff to put you to sleep.   :-)
Also need to add pages 873 to 895
2018-9-23
Use props
PilotPete
lvl.2
United States

You have my interest. I just joined AMA.
2018-9-23
Use props
Sam Drucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft

Thanks for helping me to pay attention.
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2018-9-23 06:10
Just as info, our part starts on page 246.  The exemption for recreation use starts on page 282.   The whole thing runs thru page 348.   Only 102 pages, barely enuff to put you to sleep.   :-)
Also need to add pages 873 to 895

Aloha Ed,

Mahalo for the review and relevance information!  It is the entire FAA reauthorization, so drones are only a small part of it.  Still, it is good to follow the whole process.  Some parts are still being rewritten, so we have to pay serious attention.  The AMA is doing a good job of keeping the membership informed.  Are you aware of a comparable Part 107 organization doing the same thing?

Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-9-23 13:03
Aloha Ed,

Mahalo for the review and relevance information!  It is the entire FAA reauthorization, so drones are only a small part of it.  Still, it is good to follow the whole process.  Some parts are still being rewritten, so we have to pay serious attention.  The AMA is doing a good job of keeping the membership informed.  Are you aware of a comparable Part 107 organization doing the same thing?

The AMA is the only one "that I know of" that gets involved at a local and national level.   It's the only one with lobbyist on capitol hill and several senators and representatives that were or currently are AMA members.   And I think that would be 336.
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-23 03:50
Great thread and great well-written OP.  THANKS

Aloha Mark,

The Post text is an adaptation of what was in the AMA Press Release to the membership.  Since it was their work and information, all I wanted to do was adapt it for the DJI Forum Membership.  So on behalf of the AMA, I accept your compliment for the AMA Government Services writers.  They do good work!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-23 04:37
Hi, we appreciate sharing this information with our co-pilots. Have a safe flight always.

Aloha Gamora ,

Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PilotPete Posted at 2018-9-23 08:13
You have my interest. I just joined AMA.

Aloha Pete,

You will find that your dues are money well spent.  Did you notice you also get $2,000,000 in flight insurance with your membership?  There are AMA restrictions, but it is good insurance.  Fly Safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2018-9-23 13:22
The AMA is the only one "that I know of" that gets involved at a local and national level.   It's the only one with lobbyist on capitol hill and several senators and representatives that were or currently are AMA members.   And I think that would be 336.

Aloha Ed,

There was a thread a while back about a meeting on Capitol Hill of aviation organizations and FAA personnel with a Part 107 organization and "the AMA was not there!"  Upon further investigation it turned out to be an informational briefing of some sort that was not involving AMA issues.  Still, I would like to look into the "Part 107" organization, and their membership, to see and understand their mission statement.  Part 107 operators need representation to.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-9-23 13:36
Aloha Ed,

There was a thread a while back about a meeting on Capitol Hill of aviation organizations and FAA personnel with a Part 107 organization and "the AMA was not there!"  Upon further investigation it turned out to be an informational briefing of some sort that was not involving AMA issues.  Still, I would like to look into the "Part 107" organization, and their membership, to see and understand their mission statement.  Part 107 operators need representation to.

Cetacean, I sure do agree with that.   I have read some things where the AMA does discuss 107 but I think their main focus is and should be 336.   There are a few smaller organizations for the 107 pilots, but none of them seem to have the resources or the clout needed.   Seems most of the representation for the 107 pilots is coming from big business that has a vested interest in their own pocketbooks, not the 107 pilot out trying to scratch out a living.
2018-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2018-9-23 18:00
Cetacean, I sure do agree with that.   I have read some things where the AMA does discuss 107 but I think their main focus is and should be 336.   There are a few smaller organizations for the 107 pilots, but none of them seem to have the resources or the clout needed.   Seems most of the representation for the 107 pilots is coming from big business that has a vested interest in their own pocketbooks, not the 107 pilot out trying to scratch out a living.

Aloha Ed,

Yes, so if you come up with anything new, let me know and I will let you know.  Hopefully, it will be useful to the Forum to.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules