Several short flights on same battery
1446 6 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Is it okay to make several flights on the same battery? A few years back there was an issue with Inspire 1 batteries that if you landed, then took off again later, even if the battery had 75% charge it could instantly drop to 5% and do an emergency landing. We were told to always charge to 100% between every flight for this reason.

I'm guessing they have fixed all this in the years since. Just got a Mavic 2 Pro and need to make a few short flights on the same battery over a few hours and would love to know this is not a problem.

Extra batteries aren't available yet and I'll try to charge as much as possible between flights, but I'll be in pretty remote locations.

2018-9-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-22 21:07
It is still advisable to fly with a fully charged battery if possible. If you must fly with a partially charged pack avoid high-current situations like full-power climbs, max speed, or Sport Mode.  In the Go app battery settings click the tick box to display voltage in the main screen & be mindful of it when doing subsequent flights.

yeah, best practice is always fly full but reality gets in the way.   I agree, if I do secondary flights I'll always keep close to home and make sure nothing is in the way.

Luckily I'm shooting in a very remote place so this should be pretty manageable.  

Thanks for the advice!
2018-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

it shouldnt freak out if you use a partially charged battery, it should know how much power is remaining as long as it is the same day.  say you flown 25% of your battery and powered off the drone and go to another location, you can safely put the bird back up in the sky without much fuss or worry even swap battery out.

however do not fly a battery that's been in sitting for a while (days) and is possibly in self discharge mode/storage mode, if its been sitting for a few days always plug it in for a few minutes atleast. just for peace of mind..
2018-9-22
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

I do that regularly and in no instance there is a sudden drop in the remaining charge. Nevertheless, as stated by the others already, it is wise to always fly fully charged
2018-9-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-22 21:18
it shouldnt freak out if you use a partially charged battery, it should know how much power is remaining as long as it is the same day.  say you flown 25% of your battery and powered off the drone and go to another location, you can safely put the bird back up in the sky without much fuss or worry even swap battery out.

Good advice, thanks for that.  This will definitely be within a day so only a couple of hours apart at most.  
2018-9-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Sky Carrier Posted at 2018-9-22 21:21
I do that regularly and in no instance there is a sudden drop in the remaining charge. Nevertheless, as stated by the others already, it is wise to always fly fully charged

Good stuff, thanks for the response!
2018-9-22
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You should not have a problem.
2018-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now