Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Close enough!
897 13 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Spark went into ATTI mode:

I did use Litchi with OTG (i know..not supported).
I've had 100+ flights with Litchi, never encounter ATTI.
Oh well, this post is for pilots which has not expedienced this yet. To see first hand how quickly it happens, and the importance of having your eyeballs glued at the drone.

Log shows some yaw errors:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/3O150I9RY0UVZ7TIKXIA/

Here is the video of the incident:

Fly safe

2018-9-23
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

I wish you said balls glued to the drone, that would have been funnier, but all in all, great video
2018-9-23
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

What do you think caused the drone to go into Atti mode?  Good job that you’ve plenty of experience and were able to deal with this. Thanks for sharing.
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very good recovery.
2018-9-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Good recovery. But why did it zoom away when it dropped into ATTI? That isn't supposed to happen is it?
2018-9-23
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-9-23 19:48
Good recovery. But why did it zoom away when it dropped into ATTI? That isn't supposed to happen is it?

It zooms away because the drone can't achieve a perfect level with the minor tilt needed to stay still in moving air.  Anything trying to hover without GPS stabilization or some kind of visual positioning system (like this drone over water) will race off to one side or the other.  The pilot has to get on the sticks to arrest the vector it is traveling and then stay on the sticks to get it to hover, mostly still, in the air.

It will always slide or drift away while gathering speed until the pilot inputs corrective stick movements.

Hovering perfectly without the pilot is a miracle of autopilot, compass, IMU, and GPS.  Take away any one of those technologies and watch the photographer (pretending to be a pilot) sweat.
2018-9-23
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-9-23 20:11
It zooms away because the drone can't achieve a perfect level with the minor tilt needed to stay still in moving air.  Anything trying to hover without GPS stabilization or some kind of visual positioning system (like this drone over water) will race off to one side or the other.  The pilot has to get on the sticks to arrest the vector it is traveling and then stay on the sticks to get it to hover, mostly still, in the air.

It will always slide or drift away while gathering speed until the pilot inputs corrective stick movements.

Thanks for that explanation, good to know. My Spark has never dropped into ATTI mode but now I have a better idea of what to expect if it does.
2018-9-23
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Thank you for your comments, guys!

There is no satellite drop.
But, a warning is given!

Notice the horizon line "drift" before entering Atti-mode?
This is a clear indication of an upcomming yaw-error.
If you experience this, limp back to HP with minimal stick input.
When going full forward stick, from P-mode (10 kmh) into Atti, you will immediately gain Sport-mode speed (50 kmh).
This caught me off guard, never thought Atti would be like this.

I had a lucky escape, no doubt about it..

2018-9-23
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Mine did once. I used the camera to keep it pointed roughly toward me and shoved the stick forward. Fortunately, I was pretty high and not drifting into anything. A few seconds later it switched back to gps mode. My biggest problem with flying a spark (or anything) is orientation--keeping track of which way it is pointed. Fixed wing airplanes were pretty easy, thirty-mumble years ago because they're always going forward pretty fast.
2018-9-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-9-23 20:34
Thanks for that explanation, good to know. My Spark has never dropped into ATTI mode but now I have a better idea of what to expect if it does.

I fly model airplanes and used to fly unstabilized helicopters.  I got to where I could hover the helicopter without thinking about it and just by instinct.  Stopping into a hover was my bail out if I ran into trouble while flying around the field.

The small size of the Spark leads me to think that I might not be able to bring the drone back to me if it goes into ATTI.  Might not be able to get it back even with my RC flying experience.  There might be difficulty telling which direction it is facing and if it is retreating or approaching my position.  The bail out in that case is to land it where it is (crash land?) so I can at least find the thing.  I always pay attention to how suitable the area under the drone is for an ATTI drone landing.

2018-9-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-9-24 10:10
I fly model airplanes and used to fly unstabilized helicopters.  I got to where I could hover the helicopter without thinking about it and just by instinct.  Stopping into a hover was my bail out if I ran into trouble while flying around the field.

The small size of the Spark leads me to think that I might not be able to bring the drone back to me if it goes into ATTI.  Might not be able to get it back even with my RC flying experience.  There might be difficulty telling which direction it is facing and if it is retreating or approaching my position.  The bail out in that case is to land it where it is (crash land?) so I can at least find the thing.  I always pay attention to how suitable the area under the drone is for an ATTI drone landing.

I don't have nearly your experience, but I did fly a toy drone for a couple of weeks before I got the Spark and that was pure flying by the seat of your pants. Hovering in one position was almost impossible, so I appreciate what the Spark has to offer even with its limitations.

I hear you about losing orientation of the Spark. The lights are impossible to see on a sunny day, and even when I can see them, it can be hard to tell which lights are pointing in my direction. I sometimes have to keep yawing until I see a landmark I'm familiar with to get my bearings. If it decided to drop into ATTI at one of those times, I could be in for a bit of a ride.
2018-9-24
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I had an ATTI moment not so long ago, first one in 55 flights.  Fortunately, it was only about 90 meters away and 10 meters up, and I was able to control it and fly back to myself (thanks to practice I had on the old toy drone I used to fly).

This topic raises a bunch of questions in my mind...  if its beyond RC influence in Litchi and this happens, is it bye bye birdy?  (guessing yes).    And as I have been drooling over Mavic2 videos, and trying to find and justify the $$$, does this ever happen on them?  (I know there is twin IMU and Compass on them, so perhaps not).  I really love the Spark, but this fail has spooked me some.

Thanks for sharing the video.
2018-9-24
Use props
markc620
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25269 ft
France

Nice save. My first one did almost the exact same thing over Lake Michigan after only having it for a week or so. I was inexperienced and did not fair as well as you, lol!
2018-9-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice save
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now