IMPORTANT M2P REVIEW
1672 29 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
United Kingdom

Hello Folks and GB's!!! This review is not for HAPPY OWNERS. If you are happy dont waste your time, go out shot some bushes at mindnight, children or whatever ICONIC.
If you are NOT HAPPY it is for you! If you getting anything less in quality, soft corners or any other deffects send it for replacement as FW will not fix it. Regarding Lens distortion fast forward to 23:54

2018-9-23
Use props
SLVSRFR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274052 ft
  • >>>

He clearly says the best/favorite drone he owns is the Mavic 2 Pro and he owns an Inspire and the P4P? He is clearly happy and the footage he produced is amazing.

The lens "distortion" that is talked about has nothing to do with the soft corners that few users are experiencing nor is it a flaw. He is clearly talking about the "distortion" that occurs in the 10-bit D-Log mode which is processing power extensive, so it doesn't apply lens correction. That mode requires the footage to go through post processing for color grading anyway and fixing the "distortion" takes less than two minutes in post. This mode that is referred to in this video is not for beginners and gives advanced users more control of the video this drone can produce. If you dont want to have to fix the barrel distortion, use normal mode or wait until DJI releases more profiles. The drone was released a few weeks ago and we're still on the first firmware. DJI-Blade has explained this to you many times in the other thread, that's the best answer you're going to get. If you dont want to wait, get a refund or sell the drone if you're unhappy. The Inspire 2, a prosumer drone, does the same thing if you shoot in ProRes. Professionals understand that for a true RAW image/footage, lens correction is not applied and can simply be done in post.

If you truly have defective soft corners then send your drone in for replacement or ask for a refund. In your house or office, with the drone on the table, take a picture of your living room or office space, and analyze the image to verify if your corners are truly soft.

Gladly, mine doesnt have really noticeable soft corners (even expensive glass for DSLR/Mirrorless cameras will have softer corners compared to center of an image). However some of the examples shown in the other thread are far from acceptable. In that case, as stated above, send it in for repair, refund, or sell it. Waiting for a FW update wont fix it, and depending on the severity of the soft corners, a replacement wont make it better as most lenses have "soft" corners to an extent.

2018-9-23
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Wuao what a beautiful video. The M2P needs to be understood and it's not easy. I think it has some recording mode that can be used only by professional. If you don't know exactly what to do with d-log 10 bit stop... you are using a wrong setting and normal mode is for you ( maybe also fo me at this time
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A 1" sensor is an entry level pro grade aerial camera - it is not a point and shoot like the MP1.
2018-9-23
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Was beautiful.. He's a complicated dood that's for sure
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-24
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 00:34
...and? You keep repeating yourself again and again. DLOG is for folks that are going to EDIT their footage. Correcting distortion is 1 more little step, NOT A BIG DEAL! This video ONLY DEMONSTRATES THE SAME THING. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Obviously the flat profile is not for you or users without any post processing skills / interest. You have plenty of modes to play with...

Ok, I NEVER complained about Dlog. I'm fine with not massive distortion as Bloom says. This was post regarding quality DJI delivers. I replaced my previous drone once because of crap quality. And as I see there is crap examples again, nothing else
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phillip Bloom is one of the most respected photographers out there, and usually calls it as it is, this is a good review particularly for M2. And I concur with most of what’s in this review.
2018-9-24
Use props
simïis
lvl.2

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 01:17
I gave DJI lots of S***t in the past because of the Spark wifi issues and the original MP having a blurry right corner (sent back 2 drones). However, i do not see so far any major issue with the M2P. I am still skeptical as it migth have bugs that we haven't seing yet but the overall quality is one step up definetely.

For me, the only concern is the gimbal endurance due to the poor packing and transportation (scratches, failures). The legs toucjing the body is not a big deal as I doubt they will really scratch the drone unless handled poorly and I've always used a protective skin on my drones for looks and to avoid minor scratches (resale value). The fact that the P4P is slightly sharper is not an issue for me at all, the M2P still has better image quality than any other DJI PORTABLE drone and it is much easier to carry around than the Phantom.

diablo, you are being a gayboy so just shut it already!!!!!  Mavic 2 Pro is clearly obsolete and i can get better video using my telio then you or anyone else can get using even an inspire 2 so just stop being a little GB and zip it already!!!!
2018-9-24
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 05:10
Don't be so brave behind a keyboard... also calling names can get you banned from here ;)

This is you trolling the M2P, a drone you obviously don't have and / or cannot afford:

The reply you got with the bad words is not the real OP, check his name and profile. It's a fake account, just report him.
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 05:16
You are absolutely right, the new name has two times the letter "ii" I am deleting my previous post as obviously the original Simi is not to blame, many thanks.

ps. I am not reporting him, let him have his fun. DJI Mods will take care of him ;)

This place is getting insane. I can't even keep track of what thread to follow because either it's got people arguing or god knows what else.  I can't even keep track of everything anymore and just want to come here to discuss drones and share info. I don't get why everyone has to argue with each other so much. I don't even think the Facebook groups are as bad as this place is getting.
2018-9-24
Use props
Maveric
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-24 00:40
Ok, I NEVER complained about Dlog. I'm fine with not massive distortion as Bloom says. This was post regarding quality DJI delivers. I replaced my previous drone once because of crap quality. And as I see there is crap examples again, nothing else

Wow Simis, you must have some magnificent examples of your mega superior high quality videos? I'd love to see some if I may?

I am somewhat baffled as to how you can watch this video and still come away thinking that the quality of the M2P is poor. I can only assume that you haven't watched it.
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 06:40
+1 also, facts always win conspiracy theories

Around here that can sometimes be difficult, for me if it takes a bit of work and a challenge to get results, it comes with great satisfaction. Cameras capture files people make great photography.
2018-9-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Speaking of a solid build. I flew my M2P from my 11 Story balcony. One time landing the drone was knocked off the balcony and fell 11 stoies (110 feet) and landed in grass.. There was a mark on the drone when I retrieved it.
2018-9-24
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2018-9-24 10:21
Speaking of a solid build. I flew my M2P from my 11 Story balcony. One time landing the drone was knocked off the balcony and fell 11 stoies (110 feet) and landed in grass.. There was a mark on the drone when I retrieved it.

The troll is brian! Comon man
2018-9-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

By far the best review I have seen so far! This guy for once really knows what he is talking about regarding the camera quality and demonstrates it with breathtaking footage. Should I one day manage to get anywhere near of what he is getting out of the M2P (which I very much doubt) and then have an issue with the camera, I might dare to to voice it. Until then I prefer to admire watching what true professionals are achieving with it and keep on trying to learn from them. What I have also liked is that he appropriately paid tribute to the Mavic Air and even the Spark. They are all great and a class of their own in the relating product categories!
2018-9-24
Use props
simïis
lvl.2

Maveric Posted at 2018-9-24 06:32
Wow Simis, you must have some magnificent examples of your mega superior high quality videos? I'd love to see some if I may?

I am somewhat baffled as to how you can watch this video and still come away thinking that the quality of the M2P is poor. I can only assume that you haven't watched it.

My video are amazing and much better. You are just a GB that doesnt know what she is talking about. Mavic 2 Pro is obsolete with horrible fake hasselblad fish-eye camera.

Here are my video showing um way better you GB.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-155112-1-1.html
2018-9-24
Use props
liketofly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1315561 ft
Austria

simïis Posted at 2018-9-24 16:46
My video are amazing and much better. You are just a GB that doesnt know what she is talking about. Mavic 2 Pro is obsolete with horrible fake hasselblad fish-eye camera.

Here are my video showing um way better you GB.

If that is what you are calling superior image quality, you might want to go to some optometrist...
2018-9-24
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I feel sorry for DJI, they release a drone that has a professional feature set that requires some knowledge of how to employ and use and then get complaints from people without a clue what they're doing using it and complaining its rubbish.  It's a problem lots of companies have people that don't understand or how to use the products spend zero time learning and just complain it doesnt work properly because they can't do what they want.

The distortion is one example of this.  You fix it in post in 2 seconds.  Job done.  ALL lenses have distortion.  You'll also fine you need to do this with an inspire so i guess thats rubbish too?
D-Log a bit soft?  Thats because its unprocessed!  You do it in post.

If you dont know how to or want to post process then don't use D-log and all the problems go away!  Either that or get yourself a Spark or something.

2018-9-25
Use props
simïis
lvl.2

liketofly Posted at 2018-9-24 23:38
If that is what you are calling superior image quality, you might want to go to some optometrist...

okay, scuba steve
2018-9-25
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-24 01:17
I gave DJI lots of S***t in the past because of the Spark wifi issues and the original MP having a blurry right corner (sent back 2 drones). However, i do not see so far any major issue with the M2P. I am still skeptical as it migth have bugs that we haven't seing yet but the overall quality is one step up definetely.

For me, the only concern is the gimbal endurance due to the poor packing and transportation (scratches, failures). The legs toucjing the body is not a big deal as I doubt they will really scratch the drone unless handled poorly and I've always used a protective skin on my drones for looks and to avoid minor scratches (resale value). The fact that the P4P is slightly sharper is not an issue for me at all, the M2P still has better image quality than any other DJI PORTABLE drone and it is much easier to carry around than the Phantom.

In your case being a photographer who can work magic with software in post the M2P is a great tool, however for me who just wants to go up look at beautiful landscapes, take some video and put it on youtube or facebook in decent quality the M2P is a pain. I'm actually a microscopist so I look for resolution in a lot of images working with top Ziess lenses, and from the first day looking at the  M2P video in daylight I knew something was not right. I'm not videographer so I wasn't sure what was happening although heat production in such a small Sony sensor made sense.  I'm still interested in this drone because it's a great machine and I think if I tweek the settings ( i.e. play around with sharpness, contrast, saturation, aperture, and WB) I may get the image I want without post. Right now I have an MA which I love but the dynamic range of the M2P still keeps me thinking maybe I should jump the gun and get it. Looking for a place that I can buy it and return it for the zoom if I don't like what I get after a few tests.
2018-9-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules