M2P and Map Pilot (from maps made easy)
3342 6 2018-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623366 ft
United States

The current Map Pilot release now supports the M2P. My previous Map Pilot experience is with a P4P. Yesterday I was able to conduct two mapping missions with the M2P. Here are my findings:

• While using "Active Connect" mode, many photos were missing. "Active Connect" requires the app trigger capturing each photo, vs. "Connectionless" where the drone is configured to capture a photo at each distance interval. For example, on one mission 17 out of about 350 photos were missing. Here's the log entry that appears when the drone missing a photo:
          Photo Error: Error Domain=DJISDKCameraErrorDomain Code=-3002 "Camera is busy or the command is not supported in the camera's current state(code:-3002)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Camera is busy or the command is not supported in the camera's current state(code:-3002)}. Using Map Pilot's "Connectionless" mode resulted in all the photos being captured. Another Map Pilot & M2P user reported the same issue on the Maps Made Easy forum. The mission where I experienced the issue had no obstructions, the drone was 100 meters AGL, and the signal strength reported on the controller and in the app maintained 100%. Note to self: use "connectionless mode"
  • The M2P's barometer appears to be more stable than the P4P. I frequently fly over my neighboorhood as a test. Without using GCPs, my contour maps (contour interval of 6 inches) always showed slopes in the ridgelines of roofs. I attributed this artifact to the P4P's barometer drifting. The M2P doesn't seem to have a barometric drift problem (or it's much less than the P4P).
  • The M2P photo's GPS tags seem more consistent. I suspect the time delay between recording the metadata (including GPS coordinates) for a photo and actually capturing the photo, is less, or more consistent, than the P4P.
  • The M2P to quieter and harder to see, good and bad.

So far the M2P seems to be a great mapping drone. I'm a little spooked by the signal errors, but using connectionless mode isn't an issue for my workflow.

Looking forward to DJI fixing the GPS altitude bug, although I have a workaround for now.
2018-9-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

God comparative review - thanks for sharing  
2018-9-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate sharing your concise findings with the Map pilot. Should you have any concerns, don't hesitate to reach us again. Have a safe flight always.
2018-9-24
Use props
fansb997c758
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7664 ft
Italy

Thank's for your advice !
2018-9-25
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7004009 ft
United States

I wanted to follow up on this post.  I have a P4P and I2 so all my mapping is done with the P4P.  I continue to have a big problem every flight with missing photos (just random).   When using Map Pilot, does using "connectionless mode" create a waypoint at each photo and have the UAV stop for each photo?  That is what Pix4D does and
2019-1-16
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7004009 ft
United States

I wanted to follow up on this post.  I have a P4P and I2 so all my mapping is done with the P4P.  I continue to have a big problem every flight with missing photos (just random).   When using Map Pilot, does using "connectionless mode" create a waypoint at each photo and have the UAV stop for each photo?  That is what Pix4D does and
1) It does not solve the missing photo problem (was actually worse on 2 flights flown back to back).
2) It almost doubles your flight time
3) Once it hits the 99 max waypoint the drone returns home and you have to start all over again.   

So I wanted to see if you still use your P4P for any mapping and if not, does the new MP2 do missions consistently with no missed photos?  Thanks for any feedback.

2019-1-16
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623366 ft
United States

fans591f2a3c Posted at 1-16 06:48
1) It does not solve the missing photo problem (was actually worse on 2 flights flown back to back).
2) It almost doubles your flight time

based on what I read here:
https://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/217006946-Connectionless-Mapping

Map Pilot's connectionless mode doesn't use waypoints for photo (probably does use waypoints to fly the mission, but far fewer than one for each photo). I haven't flow my P4P in a couple of months (been using the M2P), so I can't say if I'm experiencing the problem you describe.

In the past, I've heard a couple of different reasons for missing photos:
  • can't write file to memory card fast enought (solution is a faster card or a slower flight)
  • focus fails. In some modes the software is commanding the drone to focus and take a photo. If there's insufficent contrast, the focus can fail, and result in no photo being recorded
  • poor signal quality (for connection modes)

2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules