Video lagging and freezing on Mavic 2 Pro
8244 12 2018-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf1758c3d
lvl.1
  • >>>
Mexico

I'm in Cabo San Lucas Mexico shooting for a resort on the coast. After having video lag issues a few days ago in Puerto Vallarta I contacted DJI and they recommended that I not use the included cable on the side and instead plug in through the standard USB on the controller's bottom. I did that and all day yesterday the drone performed without major video lag. Today with the client looking over my shoulder, the picture froze while the drone was line of sight less than 700 meters away. It stayed frozen the rest of the time it was up and I landed it as soon as I could. I leave tomorrow so I had no choice but to send it back up again to finish the shoot. It lagged a bit again but it didn't freeze. If anyone has something more to offer than DJI telling me there mini USB is defective, I would love to hear some advice on this problem.

I have been a huge DJI fan through five drones and the OSMO X5. This last purchase was different though. First, I ordered from the DJI site and received two drones when I ordered one. I pointed out to them that the amount of time between orders (less than a minute) made it impossible for me to have gone through the ordering process again and they agreed. But when I asked how to go about returning it they said I would have to pay to ship it back. I repeatedly pointed out that it was there mistake and that I shouldn't have to pay for it but they were adamant through three different contacts. Then there were two times when they were supposed to have a manager call me, neither of which happened. All this is documented on their support chats. I sincerely didn't care about eating the shipping cost, I was trying my best to continue being a huge fan of DJI, which sadly I no longer am. There still the best product on the market, but now I am eager for someone to step up and offer an equal product with superior customer support.

Fortunately for me, shortly after my last call with them I realized they had raised the price on their drone and Fly More combo. So I will no longer be returning it, I'll be selling it for what I paid plus half the difference in markup for my trouble. I really wanted to continue to believe in DJI but reality hits all relationships eventually. Still love the drone, just not so happy with the DJI family anymore.
2018-9-24
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which mobile device are you using? Did you try using a different mobile device?
2018-9-24
Use props
fansf1758c3d
lvl.1
  • >>>
Mexico

msinger Posted at 2018-9-24 14:35
Which mobile device are you using? Did you try using a different mobile device?

I'm using an iPhone that is 2 years old and works fine on my Mavic Pro. But I will try using a different phone when I get back.
2018-9-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi sorry if it caused you an easiness on what you experienced here in DJI. I would like to ask what specific iPhone are you using? What iOS version did you phone running? May I have your DJI GO 4 app version? Did you manage to uninstall and re-install the application? Please ensure that the files are saved and your flight records are sync first before deleting the app in any case that you'll be re-installing it. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress.
2018-9-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf1758c3d Posted at 2018-9-24 14:59
I'm using an iPhone that is 2 years old and works fine on my Mavic Pro. But I will try using a different phone when I get back.

Dude, the MO2 PRO is a power hungry beast. You need the IPHONE 10. I am using ip6s+, IP7S and it keep saying 98% of processing powers have been used...

I just got IPHONE 10 MAX. I will do some flying tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

2018-9-24
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Change HD live video feed from HD mode 1080p to Regular 720p, turn off video cache, turn on airplane mode. Try that for troubleshooting purposes.
2018-9-24
Use props
fansf1758c3d
lvl.1
  • >>>
Mexico

dronist Posted at 2018-9-24 19:58
Dude, the MO2 PRO is a power hungry beast. You need the IPHONE 10. I am using ip6s+, IP7S and it keep saying 98% of processing powers have been used...

I just got IPHONE 10 MAX. I will do some flying tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

Thank you. My iPhone actually overheated according to the DJI Go4 App.
2018-9-24
Use props
fansf1758c3d
lvl.1
  • >>>
Mexico

dv8ed Posted at 2018-9-24 20:30
Change HD live video feed from HD mode 1080p to Regular 720p, turn off video cache, turn on airplane mode. Try that for troubleshooting purposes.

I will try those tomorrow, thank you.
2018-9-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dv8ed Posted at 2018-9-24 20:30
Change HD live video feed from HD mode 1080p to Regular 720p, turn off video cache, turn on airplane mode. Try that for troubleshooting purposes.

It won't help, I always fly in airplane mode, dedicated phone only two apps, GO4 and UAV FORECAST and I got the message the first time I used the MP2 PRO and the ZOOM.
2018-9-24
Use props
OverArizona
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202651 ft
United States

Just a heads up for those of you who use Apple devices to fly their drones. My strong advice is, DON'T!

Why? Have you looked at your devices ambient temperature operating range? Most of Apple's devices has a range of 40° to 90°. That is a very narrow range relative to higher end Androids. Before anyone starts complaining please know this; I'm a former ... DME, SW region. For those who have a license, remember this in your studying: you may only operate the sUAS in accordance with "Manufacturer Airworthiness Limitations". Your control station, aka mobile device is part of the system link between your controller and the airship. Hence, the 'S' in sUAS. So, if your control station is outside of the ambient temperature ratting of the current temperature of the operation, you ARE NOT in compliance.

I see so many pilots complaining about their iThis and iThat freezing, lagging, powering off, overheating, etc., etc..

Continues below:
2018-11-10
Use props
OverArizona
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202651 ft
United States

Then what do you do? Use a video/ground station (device) that is appropriately matched to your sUAV. I personally use CrystalSkys with dji drones and I haven't had in an issue up to 104°F in AZ.  Otherwise don't fly within a 10°F deviation of the max/min of any Apple device. They we're not designed for this heavy CPU demand, especially for commercial use.

The official public findings pertaining to the use of various mobile device as control stations will be released early next year. I have spoken personally to KittyHawk and a few smaller outfits in the last few months because their primary "target devices" are OS. They are now slowly changing that policy. Think about this, what has dji chosing as their commercial/enterprises grade ground station device ( enen thou the other operating system's company has a major financial interest in dji)?

The reason I posted this is because I have seen too much of these posts and felt it's time to start letting the cat out.

Thank you and bSafe.

2018-11-10
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

OverArizona Posted at 11-10 07:20
Just a heads up for those of you who use Apple devices to fly their drones. My strong advice is, DON'T!

Why? Have you looked at your devices ambient temperature operating range? Most of Apple's devices has a range of 40° to 90°. That is a very narrow range relative to higher end Androids. Before anyone starts complaining please know this; I'm a former ... DME, SW region. For those who have a license, remember this in your studying: you may only operate the sUAS in accordance with "Manufacturer Airworthiness Limitations". Your control station, aka mobile device is part of the system link between your controller and the airship. Hence, the 'S' in sUAS. So, if your control station is outside of the ambient temperature ratting of the current temperature of the operation, you ARE NOT in compliance.

It would seem to make sense to use equipment within its rated operating temperature ranges.  I've hiked in and around Tucson in the summer when parents lived there.  It can be pretty darn hot!!!
2018-11-10
Use props
fans76978afa
New

United States

Budy, fars i see, when i conect my ipad pro true USB C to USB 3.0 on the mavic 2 pro, the problem fades way, this can be the problem, but buy a ipad pro just for that is f***.
2019-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules