Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Keeping Batteries Healthy
2573 22 2018-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quade
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Belgium

What is the official word by DJI concerning battery health?

I read that we should not let them go below 20% when flying.  Fact or fiction?

2018-9-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That we should do what at 20%?
2018-9-25
Use props
MattMeorro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 383205 ft
Croatia

Hello everyone, im planing not to fly with my mavic pro now for few months so what is the best % to leave battery sit ? do i discharge them to 5-10-20-50% and leave them? any advice. thank you in advance.
2018-9-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Store them at around 40%. Discharge them in flight to around 15-20%. Don't leave them at 100% in storage for weeks. Don't charge them when they are in hot or cold temperatures. Wait for the batteries to cool down naturally to room temperature before charging. Don't store them in extremes of temperature like car boots, direct sunlight etc. Be careful flying them cold in the winter - warm them up hovering in front of you for a minute or two before pitching the drone forward. Don't get them wet. Note they are covered under warranty for 6 months / 200 recharge cycles. Whether you get weeks or years out of them is mainly down to you. Hope that helps.
2018-9-25
Use props
Quade
lvl.4
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-9-25 04:20
Store them at around 40%. Discharge them in flight to around 15-20%. Don't leave them at 100% in storage for weeks. Don't charge them when they are in hot or cold temperatures. Wait for the batteries to cool down naturally to room temperature before charging. Don't store them in extremes of temperature like car boots, direct sunlight etc. Be careful flying them cold in the winter - warm them up hovering in front of you for a minute or two before pitching the drone forward. Don't get them wet. Note they are covered under warranty for 6 months / 200 recharge cycles. Whether you get weeks or years out of them is mainly down to you. Hope that helps.

I think I read in the manual that they are Smart and will discharge automatically after a period of time.
2018-9-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

MattMeorro Posted at 2018-9-25 04:02
Hello everyone, im planing not to fly with my mavic pro now for few months so what is the best % to leave battery sit ? do i discharge them to 5-10-20-50% and leave them? any advice. thank you in advance.

You should maintain your batteries like this.
2018-9-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quade Posted at 2018-9-25 04:37
I think I read in the manual that they are Smart and will discharge automatically after a period of time.

Spark and MA batteries begin discharging after ten days and take two days to discharge. I never leave mine for 14 days on 100%... Note that if you leave them to auto discharge then check on them during the ten days and press the power button it will reset the countdown timer and will therefore take even longer to begin discharging. Unlike the other drones, the Spark and MA are fixed at ten days to discharge and you can't change that. So best to recharge to 40% and leave it. That way they wont need to auto discharge.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. We do appreciate your initiative on how you will take care of your intelligent flight batteries. You can read our manual on how you'll take care of them, also, the DO's and Don't as well. Please see the link below for your reference. Thank you for the support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_V1.2_EN.pdf
2018-9-25
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Thank you, Tony, very good document.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-9-25 12:36
Thank you, Tony, very good document.

You're very much welcome!
2018-9-25
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

the spark batteries are LI PO's , 3s meaning there are 3 cells , each having  4.20 volts in each cell for a total of 12.60 volts fully charged .do not let your battery go below 3 volts in any cell  it won't charge again .storage mode is 3.80 to 3.85 volts in each cell .i set my warning at 30 % and land as soon as possible .at 30% you should have about 11.30 volts left in your battery . 20% is 3.73 in each cell that is not that bad .below is a state of charge for LI PO batteryies from 1s to 6s .
   Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

go to this site it's a good read   https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/#lipo_number
2018-9-25
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
First Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

MattMeorro Posted at 2018-9-25 04:02

If you don't want the mavic I can take it off your hands free of charge
2018-9-25
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
First Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

NRRTRAINS 85 Posted at 2018-9-25 19:10
the spark batteries are LI PO's , 3s meaning there are 3 cells , each having  4.20 volts in each cell for a total of 12.60 volts fully charged .do not let your battery go below 3 volts in any cell  it won't charge again .storage mode is 3.80 to 3.85 volts in each cell .i set my warning at 30 % and land as soon as possible .at 30% you should have about 11.30 volts left in your battery . 20% is 3.73 in each cell that is not that bad .below is a state of charge for LI PO batteryies from 1s to 6s .
  [view_image]

Very helpful chart, I did once get the battery to 0%, ran out on the way back. Totally regret that.
2018-9-25
Use props
Quade
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-25 12:27
Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. We do appreciate your initiative on how you will take care of your intelligent flight batteries. You can read our manual on how you'll take care of them, also, the DO's and Don't as well. Please see the link below for your reference. Thank you for the support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/20170719/Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines/Spark_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_V1.2_EN.pdf

Thank you... so looks like won't be able to fly in the winter as it says not to use the batteries below 0 C.  

Is that correct, even if they are above that when inserting them (room temperature)?
2018-9-26
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

I flew a couple of times at -15 C last winter and the batteries are still good. I made sure they were in warm pockets immediately before and after using them. It was harder on my bare hands than on the drone or battery, but I don't know that I'd want to fly in those condtions regularly, for the sake of both my hands and the batteries.
2018-9-26
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only thing I can add to all this good advice is to store batteries in a LiPo storage bag.

I have numerous other "dumb" LiPo batteries (for ground based RC vehicles) and store those in bags and protective cases ( ammo containers available at Habor Freight for around $15).  Once you see what damage an faulty explosive LiPo battery can do, you'll welcome the advice for protective storage.

Most of the advice here is for maintaining the battery at optimal benefit- i.e., getting the most life from the battery.  My suggestion is safety based.

2018-9-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

[view_image]

Great chart!  Thank you.
2018-9-27
Use props
Quade
lvl.4
Belgium

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-9-26 10:41
I flew a couple of times at -15 C last winter and the batteries are still good. I made sure they were in warm pockets immediately before and after using them. It was harder on my bare hands than on the drone or battery, but I don't know that I'd want to fly in those condtions regularly, for the sake of both my hands and the batteries.

Good! I'm looking forward to some winter shots.  So, I didn't fly for 2 months with the Air. The batteries were stored fully charged. The went down to about 50%.

Today I discharged them and I will charge them again, then discharge to 20% then store them. As the guide says, this should be done at least once every 3 months.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
2018-9-27
Use props
Weiguoorng
lvl.1

China

We CTECHI Group is a leading lithium manganese dioxide battery, lithium iron disulfide battery,lithium sulfur dioxide battery and lithium iron phosphate battery manufacturer and exporter in China, we are not only focus on provide single cell but provide battery assembly and do OEM service for customers, CTECHI has captured 80 percent of overseas markets in the past 16 years with more than 2000 reliable customers in our customer management system, which has been being one of the leading enterprises with the most complete category in China's battery industry.

We also are battery solution provider, if you have any request, please don't hesitate to contact us. This is our web superlithiumbattery.com
2018-9-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

[view_image]

Good chart - thanks for sharing   
2018-9-30
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-30 02:06
Good chart - thanks for sharing

you are welcome
2018-9-30
Use props
drewhoover
Second Officer
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

I'd say the best thing to do is to not let it get below 5% while flying. Make sure it is on the ground before it gets to this point!
2018-9-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules