Longer Video Clips Splitting Up
3950 36 2018-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

I've noticed now on a couple of my longer clips that the video is automatically splitting up. This noramlly isn't a big deal at all because you can use your video editing software to simply merge or join the clips. What I have noticed is that on a couple of these clips when you attempt to merge the clips together there is a jump in the video almost like 1-3 seconds of the video is missing. This only seems to occur on longer clips. If I manually start and stop the recording I never seem to encounter this issue. Is this happening to anyone else?

I would not think it is an issue with my memory card as I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Plus memory card. This card features Up to 95MB/sec. read speed along with an up to 90MB/sec. write speed which I would think is more than adequate for my P4P V2.0.

Any ideas here?
2018-9-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's a max flie size limitation of the file system.
There's no way around it.
Reduce your resolution and shoot in smaller than 4K if you must have long videos in one piece.
2018-9-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Member Geebax was saying in another thread that the P4 series would split videos but do it without missing a frame.  So if you joined them it was seamless.  Maybe there's some trick to it, like reducing the FPS or dropping down to 3840 or something.  I do lose a few frames on my P3P but it's less than a second's worth.  
2018-9-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I believe the max is 4GB.  Anything over that it happens.
2018-9-25
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
United States

Going forward, smaller video clips it is then. Thanks everyone for the explanation.

I'm just glad there isn't an issue with my drone itself.
2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-25 12:43
Member Geebax was saying in another thread that the P4 series would split videos but do it without missing a frame.  So if you joined them it was seamless.  Maybe there's some trick to it, like reducing the FPS or dropping down to 3840 or something.  I do lose a few frames on my P3P but it's less than a second's worth.

Correct. The P3 series lost frames in the process, but the P4 is supposed to be seamless. I can't say what happened in the situation reported.
2018-9-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Another upvote.  Damn.  
2018-9-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 15:00
Correct. The P3 series lost frames in the process, but the P4 is supposed to be seamless. I can't say what happened in the situation reported.

When ever it happened with my Phantom 3 Pro’, the lost micro seconds weren’t noticeable.

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, you tend to lose track of time.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Don't know why everyone is collecting Downvotes in this thread, all the posts are quite accurate and true.
2018-9-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 16:36
Don't know why everyone is collecting Downvotes in this thread, all the posts are quite accurate and true.

I get 'em from Rodger8.  He downvotes every post I make.  He's been doing it since Spring.  I don't know what's wrong with him, but I'm sure it's listed in the medical journal.  

Problem is, I don't care.  So... y'know...

2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-25 16:41
I get 'em from Rodger8.  He downvotes every post I make.  He's been doing it since Spring.  I don't know what's wrong with him, but I'm sure it's listed in the medical journal.  

Problem is, I don't care.  So... y'know...

Yeah, I get them from him too, so I respond by voting down every post of his in the vicinity. And like you, I don't care either. There is a solution, the best one would be a Raymond Reddington one
2018-9-25
Use props
epetit91_djiuser
Second Officer
France

iamjustjohn, look at this post : https://forum.dji.com/thread-162033-1-1.html
2018-9-25
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

ExFAT supports larger than 4GB file sizes.  My Phantom 3 standard keeps splitting in 4GB chunks which gets annoying to stitch together.
2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Anonymous1 Posted at 2018-9-25 22:11
ExFAT supports larger than 4GB file sizes.  My Phantom 3 standard keeps splitting in 4GB chunks which gets annoying to stitch together.

Yes, and you can elect to format the SD card in ExFAT if you like (but not for a P3Standard), but it will make no difference to the splitting of the files, it is not altogether a factor of the disk format. Most cameras except professional ones, split the files into 4GB sections.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. We will forward this with our engineers for further clarification. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 16:48
Yeah, I get them from him too, so I respond by voting down every post of his in the vicinity. And like you, I don't care either. There is a solution, the best one would be a Raymond Reddington one

I wasn't on either of you, but, if I am getting hit for it I will now because both of you do not know what you are talking about. More so the Droner, not a clue !
2018-9-28
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

It's a shame that DJI didn't implement a modern file system. How difficult can it be to use NTFS instead of an ancient FAT32 file system? This is probably the only camera system I own that is limited to 4GB chunks. Everything else I own (which is older than the Phantom 4 Pro, can handle files up to the size of the media they record to.
2018-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-28 13:21
I wasn't on either of you, but, if I am getting hit for it I will now because both of you do not know what you are talking about. More so the Droner, not a clue !

Given your history Roger, who gives a rat's ass what you think.
2018-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-9-28 13:29
It's a shame that DJI didn't implement a modern file system. How difficult can it be to use NTFS instead of an ancient FAT32 file system? This is probably the only camera system I own that is limited to 4GB chunks. Everything else I own (which is older than the Phantom 4 Pro, can handle files up to the size of the media they record to.

DJI support ExFAT, which is newer than NTFS, but they still break the files into 4GB sections though, and it has little to do with the file system.
2018-9-28
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-28 14:56
Given your history Roger, who gives a rat's ass what you think.

I look at your flight history and feel the same
2018-9-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-28 13:21
I wasn't on either of you, but, if I am getting hit for it I will now because both of you do not know what you are talking about. More so the Droner, not a clue !

Wow I've never seen a post with three (3) downvotes before.  Well done, sir.  
2018-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-28 15:43
I look at your flight history and feel the same

Ah, my flight history, yes. Given that I do not ever sync my flights with DJI, because it is none of their business, I have no flight history. If you want to try and infer something from an absence of data, then you are a greater fool than I originally thought. Shut up Roger, you are only proving to everyone what they suspected.
2018-9-28
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-28 16:05
Ah, my flight history, yes. Given that I do not ever sync my flights with DJI, because it is none of their business, I have no flight history. If you want to try and infer something from an absence of data, then you are a greater fool than I originally thought. Shut up Roger, you are only proving to everyone what they suspected.

True, you have no flight history. You just make uninformative comments. Sadly, there may be new users that take your comments to heart.
2018-9-28
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-28 16:03
Wow I've never seen a post with three (3) downvotes before.  Well done, sir.

Thanks, appreciate your confidence!
2018-9-28
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-28 14:58
DJI support ExFAT, which is newer than NTFS, but they still break the files into 4GB sections though, and it has little to do with the file system.

I could see unintentionally breaking up the files into chunks owing to a file system limitation, but if there's no limitation, doing so just makes it more difficult for the user to manage files and for some NLEs to seamlessly reassemble them.
2018-9-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-9-29 11:23
I could see unintentionally breaking up the files into chunks owing to a file system limitation, but if there's no limitation, doing so just makes it more difficult for the user to manage files and for some NLEs to seamlessly reassemble them.

As I said, the splitting of the files has nothing to do with the file allocation table limitation. It was alledgedly done for reasons of duty/taxes on the sale of cameras, long ago. Read this: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17024526

For some reason best known to themselves, DJI perpetuate this story by claiming that splitting the files makes the files less subject to corruption in the case of some accident happening to the aircraft. Joining the files in an editor is a snap, as long as no frames are missing.

2018-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Just some info, from my own equipment.

D-Movie shooting functions
Full HD video quality and minimized rolling shutter effect: Dynamic movie shooting in diverse lighting situations
Many filmmakers, multimedia professionals and still photographers need the highly mobile, lightweight and compact form of a D-SLR in order to cover large events or make documentaries, music videos or movies. For these professionals, the D800/D800E are ready to create true cinematic experiences. By using the B frame data compression method, you can record 1080p Full HD video at 30p in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format with unmatched moving image integrity for up to approx. 29 min. 59 s* of recording in a single clip. Thanks to Nikon's latest image-processing optimizations, the monumental power of 36.3 megapixels transforms to sharp, exquisitely rendered videos. Expect exceptionally smooth gradation in blue skies, with minimum block noise and beautifully natural movement rendered clearly and sharply. The D800/D800E's intelligent image sensor reads out movie images at faster rates than ever, significantly reducing the rolling shutter distortion that can occur during panning shots or when shooting fast-moving lateral subjects like trains. Thanks to EXPEED 3, your movies will take on a distinctive look of their own, even with dimly lit scenes. Combine these benefits and you'll begin to realize exactly the new creative opportunities possible for photographers and cinematographers alike.
*Maximum recording time varies according to frame rate, frame size and image quality settings. Maximum recording time for time-lapse photography is 20 min.
Multi-area mode Full HD D-Movie: Creative movie-making freedom in FX- and DX-based formats

The D800/D800E are designed to stimulate cinematographers to explore different moods and perspectives by enabling Full HD and HD video recording in two frame formats; Nikon FX- and DX-based movie formats in just one camera. When using wide-aperture NIKKOR lenses, the large image area of the FX-based format* renders exquisitely shallow depth of field with beautiful bokeh effects. The DX-based format uses an image area similar to 35mm movie film, allowing cinematographers to shoot with picture angles that they are accustomed to. Having the advantage of two D-Movie formats in one camera and an arsenal of NIKKOR lenses makes the D800/D800E an incredibly versatile movie-making tool.

Further more, from a similar frame of mind.
How long can a video clip be when recording with the D800/D800E?

You may have noticed there is a recording limit for video on the Nikon D800/D800E. The limit in high quality is 20 minutes and in normal quality 30 minutes (minus exactly one second!), regardless of resolution and frame rate.

At the highest quality and resolution, a 20-minute file is a bit more than 3.5GB, coming close to the file system limitation of 4GB per file. However, it's technically possible to seamlessly start a new file every time the 4GB boundary is met. Moreover, it does not explain the limit on lower settings.

The limit of 29 minutes and 59 seconds is actually not a software or hardware limitation at all. Devices that can record 30 minutes or longer at a time qualify as video recorders by European law and are therefore subject to a 5.4% higher import duty. The original idea behind this is aimed at video recorders that can make -possibly illegal- copies of television shows or movies. The 5.4% is used to compensate the theoretical loss of royalties to copyright holders. While this hardly makes sense for cameras, the law does apply to them.

For some manufacturers this law is beneficial as it protects their line of video cameras, but this goes not for Nikon. Still, Nikon has this limit built in for all cameras worldwide. In fact, all DSLR brands have this limit. I would have gladly paid the extra 5.4%, but I'm afraid we will have to await a firmware hack.

If you are serious about video there is a solution: the external HDMI recorder that can plug in to the D800. If you bought the recorder in Europe, you can bet the 5.4% was included in the price. The fixed artificial time limit does not apply with an external recorder, but you still cannot shoot indefinitely. When the sensor becomes too warm, the camera will stop end live view as an overheating protection measure. In practice, you should be able to shoot about an hour at a time, depending on the ambient temperature.

The EN-EL15 battery will probably last no more than an hour, so I would suggest the AC power supply.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-29
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-29 15:26
As I said, the splitting of the files has nothing to do with the file allocation table limitation. It was alledgedly done for reasons of duty/taxes on the sale of cameras, long ago. Read this: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17024526

For some reason best known to themselves, DJI perpetuate this story by claiming that splitting the files makes the files less subject to corruption in the case of some accident happening to the aircraft. Joining the files in an editor is a snap, as long as no frames are missing.

The problem I had most recently is that in two spots where I let the camera go for a long period of time and the video split some of the frames are missing so even after joining them together it looks like the video takes a jump forward. Nothing I can do about that except next time take shorter video clips. Typically that's what I do anyway but there are times when I just let the camera go.
2018-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-9-29 16:54
The problem I had most recently is that in two spots where I let the camera go for a long period of time and the video split some of the frames are missing so even after joining them together it looks like the video takes a jump forward. Nothing I can do about that except next time take shorter video clips. Typically that's what I do anyway but there are times when I just let the camera go.

Why are those few missing frames so important?

Just use the selective footage you want to keep, and dump the rest...
A97AF389-A52C-4F20-9A2C-41142E428EB7.png

Have fun, is most important...

RedHotPoker
2018-9-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-9-29 16:54

That is puzzling. I see you have a P4PV2, and it is supposed to split the files cleanly. The older P3 lost frames though.
2018-9-29
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-29 17:52
That is puzzling. I see you have a P4PV2, and it is supposed to split the files cleanly. The older P3 lost frames though.

Yeah and I think the specs of my micro SD card meet or exceed the requirements as well so I don't think it would have anything to do with the memory card as in my OP.

Like I said, I'll just have to remember to make shorter video clips when my drone is recording video.
2018-9-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-9-29 17:56
Yeah and I think the specs of my micro SD card meet or exceed the requirements as well so I don't think it would have anything to do with the memory card as in my OP.

Like I said, I'll just have to remember to make shorter video clips when my drone is recording video.

If your card is a Sandisk Extreme Plus, then I would think about replacing it, the Plus series are borderline on speed. Better to get an Extreeme Pro card.
2018-9-29
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-29 15:26
As I said, the splitting of the files has nothing to do with the file allocation table limitation. It was alledgedly done for reasons of duty/taxes on the sale of cameras, long ago. Read this: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17024526

That limitation applied to DSLRs and the limit was < 30 mins recording time. The reason was that video cameras had a different VAT structure in the EU and thus were taxed at a higher rate than still cameras. By limiting DSLR video recording times to under 30 mins, camera makers could run around a loophole in the tax laws.
2018-9-30
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Mark Weiss Posted at 9-28 13:29
It's a shame that DJI didn't implement a modern file system. How difficult can it be to use NTFS instead of an ancient FAT32 file system? This is probably the only camera system I own that is limited to 4GB chunks. Everything else I own (which is older than the Phantom 4 Pro, can handle files up to the size of the media they record to.

It is important to remember that NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary file format, so DJI may have to pay some sort of royalties to implement such a file system (not in terms of writing files) when formating SD cards.  I believe it is the same reason why iOS and older apple PCs don't write to NTFS drives, although it can read the content.
2018-11-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 9-25 22:11

EXFat has nothing to do with file splitting.

EXFat was devised to accept larger drives.

It will still act basically same as FAT32 ....

For those who are interested ... when I get a split - I use a merge animation ... same as I use it with every edit point where unnecessary video is removed. That way - you can effectively overcome it.

Nigel

2018-11-12
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 11-12 09:48
EXFat has nothing to do with file splitting.

EXFat was devised to accept larger drives.

The problem is that you still have to manage multiple files instead of one file.
2018-11-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

I have 64 bit computers on my desk and they all refuse to transfer large files ... doesn't matter if EXFAT ... FAT32 etc.

Funny how some go on about cameras and the instigation of the 4Gb limit ... reminds me of the old days of 640Kb and memory arguments ...

The 4Gb limit is in fact a practical limit - even though we all dislike it. If your P3 was to record greater size files - many people would not be able to transfer the file .. many editors / viewers would refuse to open the file ... the problems are many for files bigger than the 4Gb ..

Anyone asked themselves why DVD disks are 4Gb ? (Double layer are only a version of 2x 4Gb in fact if you check it out) ....

Until all computers can transfer and handle larger than 4Gb files .. that includes programs and media ... we are stuck with the limits. Why do you think OS and mega programs are split up into many files and not less number of larger ? Its not only to specialise a particular part - but also because of file size limitations.

Its a bit like being in a traffic line ... the line proceeds at the pace of the slowest vehicle. That's what we have here.

Nigel
2018-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules