Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-10-7 00:34
Captain HedgeTrimmer and AndrewUK,

A VERY, VERY IMPORTANT POINT.

Stand a ways away from your craft once switched on as you may (will actually) cause a "shadow"

Thanks for tip.  But not a problem for me.  I usually backoff anyway.  Guessing 10 feet or more.
Really never had problems with Mavic Pro accurring GPS satellites.

2018-10-7
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've not had any GPS issues with mine either.  TTFL has always been quite reasonable based on how long ago my last flight was.  This is still the same with the 0500 firmware for me.
2018-10-7
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-4 16:23
Have they fixed the GPS acquisition issue?  This evening it took between 5 and 10 minutes to find a single satellite.  On the top of a hill with clear view of sky all around.  I think this regressed in 0.400.

I now resort to polishing off the previous flight's battery to acquire GPS which typically uses around 5%, power off, swap in fully charged battery, power on, GPS locks immediately, take off.

When this long time to acquire a GPS signal occurs, how long ago was it from the last flight?  And how far away are you from the location you last flew?
2018-10-7
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-7 08:30
When this long time to acquire a GPS signal occurs, how long ago was it from the last flight?  And how far away are you from the location you last flew?

This is a valid question only when one has tested the "constellation" with either of the 3 mentioned GPS apps.

One thing that I forgot to mention at the time is that a "skewed" constellation will also give erroneous data and fixing problems when the most visible satellites are on one side of the "sky" in a cluster, leaving the "other" side with only 1, 2 of even no satellites.
2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-7 08:29
I've not had any GPS issues with mine either.  TTFL has always been quite reasonable based on how long ago my last flight was.  This is still the same with the 0500 firmware for me.

Just took Mavic Air out after 3 weeks and updated to .500, gps is very quick to connect and was the same with .400 etc..
2018-10-7
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 09:45
Just took Mavic Air out after 3 weeks and updated to .500, gps is very quick to connect and was the same with .400 etc..

Good to hear that.
2018-10-7
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 763094 ft
United States

BobDoLe Posted at 2018-10-3 10:16
i benchmarked it - it was very fast and performs well. then i did a very long test for badblocks on it.. nothing came up... and THEN i formatted the card inside the mavic air. i'll see how that works.

fyi, formatting it fixed the issue. is formatting storage something that should be done after each firmware update?
2018-10-7
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1403068 ft
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-7 08:30

Same flight location, next day.  Insists on taking several minutes.  If I use up an nearly flat battery to attain a lock, then power off, swap battery, power on, lock is instant.  So it's not to do with powering off and losing last location.
2018-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-7 13:31
Same flight location, next day.  Insists on taking several minutes.  If I use up an nearly flat battery to attain a lock, then power off, swap battery, power on, lock is instant.  So it's not to do with powering off and losing last location.

hmmmmmm, shouldnt take that long to get a lock.  not minutes on the mavic air.. the GPS module extremely sensitive and high gain, mavic pro or phantom 4 pro, 1 - 2 minutes its acceptable. but mavic air  should pick up signals quickly even if the sky was less than ideal....

2018-10-7
Use props
dzony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 426850 ft

Where do you live? GPS is generally slower the further north you go. I remember my trip to Finland was a bit of a shocker for me in that regard.
2018-10-7
Use props
suzan
New

India

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-26 07:24
I got it from downloads on the dji website, I would imagine it will be rolled out over the next few days,

wow good, Can we get it?
2018-10-8
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
South Africa

dzony Posted at 2018-10-7 14:45
Where do you live? GPS is generally slower the further north you go. I remember my trip to Finland was a bit of a shocker for me in that regard.

IMHO this could only be partially true.  It fully depends on the "visible" constellation. As I`ve never had problems with other devices such as handheld GPS and it was before the GPS Apps mentioned I cannot really comment on the distribution of satellites in a constellation that far north or very south.
2018-10-8
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

South of UK, phone and other devices never struggle to lock GPS.

When I took off yesterday after lock and setting of home point message, I noticed it unlocked and the drone accelerated up at crazy speed for a couple of seconds until it locked again.  It seems like GPS lock is critical to the stability of the MA, junk coming out of the GPS module seems to throw the flight control system and it behaves erratically in this scenario which I assume is happening.  I remember a couple of other people reporting their drone suddenly accelerated crazy fast and smashed into something.

It's definitely still very slow to lock with 0500.  Reset procedure time, I hope that doesn't reset the image numbering!
2018-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-8 01:40
South of UK, phone and other devices never struggle to lock GPS.

When I took off yesterday after lock and setting of home point message, I noticed it unlocked and the drone accelerated up at crazy speed for a couple of seconds until it locked again.  It seems like GPS lock is critical to the stability of the MA, junk coming out of the GPS module seems to throw the flight control system and it behaves erratically in this scenario.  I remember a couple of other people reporting their drone suddenly accelerated crazy fast and smashed into something.

It just might be you have some hardware problem, I say this because I haven’t read much regarding this problem, might be time to send in.
2018-10-8
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-8 01:51
It just might be you have some hardware problem, I say this because I haven’t read much regarding this problem, might be time to send in.

Thanks, yes seems like me in isolation.  It's very consistent, powering up just ~18hrs after last use in the same location still took several minutes to get a lock.

DJI suggested using Assistant to reset the drone.  It's also going on about calibrating the vision system since 0500 update.  I'm certain it's not a hardware fault from new because it did not take this long to start with.  My MA has never been crashed or subjected to any other banging around.
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules