Camera - workarounds to moire, aliasing, rolling shutter
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

After a few flights now I'm starting to fine tune the camera settings, utilize strengths and find work arounds for weeknesses of the P3P's camera.

Shooting LOG is best as it allows a flatter image which gives me more dynamic range. Much more room to push and pull in post without dealing with crushed whites, blacks, saturation etc. The best, most fluid and natural video image capturing was accomplished when I could get the shutter rate down and still properly expose the image. The onscreen Histogram and EV meter is wonderful for this. For 24fps, 1/50th to 1/100th seems to work well. 1/50th is ideal.

Typical checklist for a "new" camera:

It's been cloudy so I've not seen any Chromatic Aberration what so ever. (That's the purple fringing on the edges of objects where very dark meets very bright. e.g. Bare, black very detialed tree limbs against a bright grey sky.) Perhaps shooting on brighter days will be a better indicator.

The Rolling Shutter (aka jello) is the easiest of these to adress. ND filters (soon to be out by a few companies) will remedy most of this issue. If I can get the shutter speed down to around 50-100th not only is rolling shutter eliminated the resulting footage is much more fliud with more natural cinematic movement. (To confirm this I simply cut out a circle from some .8 ND gel I had laying around, placed it inside the protective lens cover and screwed it back on the camera.) I've also balanced my props. The props straight out of the box are pretty close but not dead on balanced. (Only two of my props required a bit of light sanding to balance perfectly so hat's off to DJI as they were close right out of the box.)

Moire and Aliasing are going to be tricky. And trust me, unfortunately moire and aliasing are there without a doubt. (Moire occurs in any fine geometric pattern like shingles on a roof, brick walls and corrugated tin roofs of barns. Anything with a tiny parallel lined pattern. The pattern in the image appears to be moving, dancing, sparkling or morphing as the camera moves. Aliasing is when say a long thin line - like a power cable extending from one tower to the next - apprears to be stairstepped in pieces as it bends vs a single fluid continuous line.)

First turn the sharpness down to -2  (Under camera settings then "custom"). My tests indicate that -3 sharpness is actually dulling important detail like the leaves of tree tops, blades of grass in a field etc. Gives the footage a mushy quality vs clean detail. So it's a balance. Leaving the sharpness at the default "0" or above is.... well....horrible IMHO. Gives you a very "crispy video" look and actually exaggerates noise quite a bit. Even -1 was a bit too crispy on the edges of objects for my taste. You can alway adjust or add sharpness in post. I've found that allowing ANY camera to apply it's own, often way too heavy handed sharpening, to be dangerous. Once "crispy" it's in your footage... it's in your footage for good. If moire and aliasing are going raise thier ugly heads, in-camera sharpening with make it worse. Perhaps further firmware updates can remedy these issues. (Scanning through the Inspire 1 threads appears that firmware updates may have helped quite a bit.)

That's my two cents. Feel free to correct me, throw out your personal sollutions and observations. I'm always excited to learn something new....especially if I'm wrong or misinformed.
2015-5-31
Use props
rodhassler
lvl.1

United States

I cannot seem to get rid of aliasing at all. Power lines, fences, building edges, etc... They are all broken and stepping. Moire is bad with shingles as well. Is it possible this is microSD card issue? I am using SanDisk Ultra 64GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC cards.

Settings:
4k 4096x2160 (24)
LOG Mode
Sharpness -3
Contrast -3
Saturation -2
ND8 filter

Viewing on my MBP (2.9 GHz, 8GB RAM) in VLC. I haven't tried any post fixes yet.
Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
2015-7-27
Use props
razman.jan
New

Italy

Hi, I have a lot of problems with moire with the following custom setting on P3P
I use log mode; I tried to put down sharpness, contrast and saturation, filming in 4K 25P with ND filter 16 that gives me a correct exposure at 50-60 of shutter, and I downgrade with Brorsoft Video Converter to Apple Prores 422 1080 25P. The result is an horrible moire in many areas . If you have extra suggestions, please answer me, I really don't know what to do.

2015-8-6
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Moire can be suppressed a bit with a flat picture profile as Log.
Aliasing by setting sharpness as low as possible - as for all sensors that are suffering these issues.
....That is about it   - you will not get a  A7S picture no matter what you do with this tiny sensor.

Best advice is to be careful what patterns you are filming
2015-8-6
Use props
JMC
New

Brazil

Hi, I have a lot of problems with moire with the following custom setting on P3P
I use log mode; I tried to put down sharpness, contrast and saturation, filming in 4K 25P with ND filter 16 that gives me a correct exposure at 50-60 of shutter, and I downgrade with Brorsoft Video Converter to Apple Prores 422 1080 25P. The result is an horrible moire in many areas . If you have extra suggestions, please answer me, I really don't know what to do.

Same treatment and same result for me . Horrible ... I realy don't know what i can do ?
2015-8-30
Use props
rushawn_coast
New

Jamaica

What is the best camera setting for night party photography and videography
2016-1-15
Use props
visualab
lvl.1

Italy

The only solution I've found is shooting -2 sharpness then in Premiere Pro CC right click each clip in timeline Field options Flicker removal or add +2,5 Gaussian blur
2016-4-30
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

rodhassler@gmai Posted at 2015-7-27 16:39
I cannot seem to get rid of aliasing at all. Power lines, fences, building edges, etc... They are al ...

The aliasing you see may well be down to the screen you're viewing the video on rather than the video itself.  I get problems on my 28" TV, but when the same video is played on a large (expensive) 3D TV it's as smooth as silk.  The software will be interpolating down to fit your screen & might not be doing the best job possible, especially if it's not a nice round number like 50%.  Try exporting the video in Quicktime to a smaller format, like 1080p or 720p & see if that makes it better.
2016-4-30
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Chromatic Aberration will either show up (on high-contrast transitions, as you say) or it won't.  It's very well controlled on my P3P, although I've seen it on others images, which is down to quality control during manufacture.  The only way to cure it if it appears is through software after the event.

Moire & Aliasing are a function of lens sharpness & the de-mosaicing algorithms in the camera.  The sharper the lens, generally, the worse the problem, hence many cameras have an anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor to slightly soften the image.  There's not much you can do other than keep sharpness setting low, but that'll just mask the problem rather than eliminate it.  Recording at different resolutions may help, or moving closer to or further away from the source to change spatial frequencies, or anything that softens the image from the lens, which most people obviously won't want to do.
2016-4-30
Use props
wingover2016
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi can anyone recomend a good software to edit video please
2016-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules