Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost drone & bad service
1131 10 2018-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249829 ft
Brazil

Hi
I am extremely dissapointed with the warranty and the response I got so far from DJI service department
Bought Mavic Pro Platinum 2 months ago
Flew it in sports mode to film kitesurfing (a type of sports performed at sea,  in winds of 20-25 knots)

As an expireinced kitesurfer, I'm able to estimate the wind speed pretty accurately, both by feeling and by equipment being used.
On the 5th session of shooting, on the same beach with the same conditions (2 sessions on the same day, few more on day before), the drone remote reported 'Remote control connection problem' on the remote control itself. Image froze and stopped responding.

Tried restarting the app, the phone, the remote, reconnected them. Nothing. pressed RTH button on the remote itself several times. Nothing

Drone did not return home. Last point was 200 meters from me, height of 10 meters, battery 60% remaining.

Deserted beach in a fishing village in Brazil. Barelly cell phone coverage, not to speak of interference
The kitesurfer that was filmed saw the drone going higher in the air at the same time.

Sent info to DJI support 2+ weeks ago. Sent logs, video, logs from the remote (the flight log itself is cut at the disconnection point)

Took 3 days to open a case
Sent all info 3 times
Then waited for a week for a response
The response was - you flew in high wind, we don't care about the rest
My response was - I know I flew in high wind, the wind speed was 20-25 knots, I told it myself. This doesn't mean there wasn't an issue here with the mavic itself or the remote
They forwarded it to further analysis, who tried to explain me that at 45 meters (the RTH height) the wind is much stronger.
But this is BS, the kites we use for the sport fly at 25-30 meters as well, plus on that same session on the first 3 minutes of flight the drone hovered at 45 meters without any problem - so it kinda proves the other way around.

Why would it have a problem to cover a distance of 200 meters, being up-wind of me (meaning no need to fly directly into the wind), on 60% battery, when 40% was enough to cover 800 meters + 3 minutes hovering in the same conditions?

I wonder what excuse they will find next

The bottom line is - Can the Mavic Pro be used to film kitesurfing or not? Its a sport practiced ideally at 20-25 knots. If yes - pls stand behind your warranty. If no - give a clear answer it should not be used and I will help to bring it to the attention of my fellow kitesurfers (a not so big, but pretty linked community)

CAS-2259099-X0C5M8
Flight record: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/R7ZMN178MJTCMQSZ7GGR/#

Below all emails, just for your reference

Hi
What you are saying is only proving my point (all supported by the flight log)
1.    As you can see, after take-off the drone flew perfectly fine at 45 meters for 3 minutes – you can see it in the log and in the video (can send the full one if you want)
It did not drift or anything.
2.    Are you saying that 5 minutes later, when it went to 45 meters again, the wind became much stronger?
3.    Do you claim that at 10 meters when it flew to all sides including directly into the wind the wind was ok, but at 45 too strong?
4.    At the disconnection point, the aircraft was up-wind of the home point. So to return home, it didn’t even need to fly against the wind
Thus, your claim that it could not return home at 45 meters due to strong wind it WRONG.

And I will repeat my question -Are you clearly saying, that filming kitesurfing, at wind speed of 20-25 knots is not covered by your warranty?
Please give me a clear answer so I can post it on all public forums related to our sport

Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 8:04 AM
To: ME <me@me.com>
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000007219

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

For your case, I have consulted with our senior engineer. Please check the answers as below:

1& 2. When the warning of High Wind Velocity appeared on the APP and the performance of the aircraft was affected by the wind, the relative height of the aircraft was around 45 meters.
Normally Failsafe RTH would be triggered after losing connection. Since the pre-set return height in your case was 45 meters, the aircraft would ascend to 45 meters first then started to return home horizontally. At a height of 45 meters, there was stronger wind affecting the aircraft, that was also the reason why we stated that the aircraft couldn't return home normally.

3. Failsafe RTH would be triggered in Sport mode. As what we have explained previously, the aircraft would ascend to pre-set return height where there was stronger wind affecting it.

4. The remote connection would be affected by invisible interference. We are unable to perform a field test to verify it, but we need to stress again that losing connection doesn't indicate any product malfunctions.

5. If there is a connection issue between the smart phone and the remote controller, the flight record will come to the end, indeed. You can contact the local dealer to test and diagnose your remote controller. However, the logs in the remote controller is useless for data analysis. It only records a few stick inputs which are very short, there is no other valuable information.

6. It is not suggested for the users to pilot the aircraft under windy connection. Please refer to DJI's after-sales policy in the page below:
https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

Damage or incident caused by operation in bad weather (i.e. strong winds, rain, sand/dust storms, etc.) is not covered with the DJI After sales policy.

And in our safety guidelines, it has prompted the pilot not to use the aircraft with wind exceeding 10 m/s (23 mph). Please refer to Page 16 in the link below:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines-EN.pdf

Please feel free to contact us of any other questions about data analysis.

Thanks again for your support. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dora
DJI Tech Support
http://www.dji.com/

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 2018/9/27 20:25
To: support@dji.com;
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000007185
Do you have an estimate as how much time a response would take?

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000007185

Dear Customer,

Thanks for getting back to us. We are terribly sorry for the late reply.

Many thanks for your inquiries, I have contacted the senior analysts to look into this case further and I'm waiting for the confirmation now.

I will get back to you the result as soon as possible. Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated. If there is any other questions, please feel free to reply this E-mail.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dora
DJI Tech Support

Received: 2018/9/25 19:10
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000007087
Hi
Again, I disagree with your logic
Please address my reasoning below
I realize this one is not the only case you are handling, but waiting 3-4 days each time for a reply just increases the frustration

1.    As you can see in the flight record, the entire flight was performed at around 10 meters. The wind speed at such attitude is very similar to the ground
Moreover, it was used to shoot kitesurfing, an activity strongly impacted by the wind. There are different kite sizes depending on the wind strength
As an experienced kitesurfer (10+ years, thousands hours of kitesurfing) I guarantee you wind speed was in 20-25 knots range

2.    You say you analyze the flight record only. But the flight record ends at the disconnection point.
It shows nothing unusual that can explain the disconnection.
The only indication you get from the flight log is that there was strong wind.
I already told you myself that the wind speed is 20-25 knots.
Do you claim it was higher?

3.    If the aircraft is being able to fly in sports mode freely as you can see in the log, including into the wind, why would there be an issue to fly like then when the RTH function is activated?
Does the RTH function turns off sports mode?

4.    I realize there could be many factors which can affect the connection.
However, when shooting at sea, there are no obstacles.
The area itself is a remote area in brazil with almost no cellular coverage so even electromagnetic interference is out of the question
Are you claiming that the wind is causing such interference?

5.    Moreover, and I repeat myself – this was not a regular disconnection case (happened to me a few times on previous flights)
The message was different, I think it indicates a problem in the remote control connection with the phone, not a problem with the connection to the aircraft
Moreover, at some point of time the RC showed the distance from the aircraft and I even think it might responded to some of my commands.
The smartphone screen however was not in sync with that
Please examine the logs from the RC, there was a reason they exists, do they?

6.    Bottom line, me and many others in the kitesurfing community (~200,000) people worldwide would like to know if it’s possible to shoot kitesurfing using your drone
By possible – I mean that if any problems happens you will respect your warranty policy regardless of the wind and at least check the root cause. Pilot errors of course can happen both with and without wind.
Kitesurfing is a sport ideally practiced at winds of 20-25 knots and an average kite invests thousands of dollars in equipment to be able to practice it.
The price of a new drone is a small price to pay to get a good footage
Most kite-surfers would like to get a drone at some point I believe, but nobody would want to buy one from a company that says it cannot operate to shoot their favorite sport.
A negative answer is perfectly fine, just want to make it clear

Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:27 AM
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000007087

Dear Customer,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We are sorry for the frustrating experience you have had with the aircraft. Please check my explanation as below:

1. The ability of the wind resistance and the maximum speed in Sport are totally different concepts. They have nothing to do with each other. Moreover, the wind speed that shows in the broadcast also is the speed of near ground wind, but it doesn't indicate the wind velocity that the aircraft suffers in high air.
2. What we analyze is the flight record in which the accident occurs. Each flight should be analyzed according to the situation at that time, which can not be compared with other flights.
3. When the flight record ended, the remaining battery was 59%.
4. There are many factors which will affect the connection between the remote controller and aircraft, such as obstacles or invisible interference. It doesn't indicate that the aircraft malfunctions. We also understand the concern about losing connection, but the aircraft would do what it is designed to do when that happens, to return home. But for your case, since there was high wind affecting the aircraft, it would be unable to return home after losing connection.
The data in the remote controller is useless for analysis.
5. The reason why the aircraft couldn't go back home normally was the strong wind. If there was no wind affecting the aircraft, it would return back home with 60% battery. However, as there was strong wind, the aircraft would be blown by the wind and the battery would be consumed faster.

We also understand your frustration with this issue, however the flight data results says that it is caused by improper flight environment. Incident caused by operation in bad weather (i.e. strong winds, rain, sand/dust storms, etc.) is not covered with the DJI After sales policy.

Please feel free to contact us of any other questions about data analysis.

Thanks again for your patience. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dora
DJI Tech Support

Received: 2018/9/21 18:04
Subject: RE: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000006999
Hi
I disagree with your analysis.
1.    The wind was about 20-22 knots (~35-40kph). In sports mode the speed is around 65kph. I had no issues piloting it.
2.    As you can see from additional flight records that I’ve sent, on the days before I have flown in similar conditions or even stronger wind without any issues
3.    At T=08:13, the battery indicator was on 60% remaining. I assume you can see it in the flight record.
4.    Why did the app record ended at T08:13? On the RC I got a message saying ‘Remote controller connection error’.
This is a malfunction of your device and the #1 issue here that needs clarification
Did you examine the RC records that I’ve sent?
5.    Why did the aircraft did not return home? The kitesurfer I was filming saw it from the water going up to a high altitude after the video got stuck and the remote control stopped responding.
I am sure 60% battery is enough to go 223 meters in sport mode..
This is a malfunction of your device and the #2 issue here that needs clarification

Waiting for your response

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:53 AM
Subject: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000006999

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is Dora from data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your claimed case CAS-2259099-X0C5M8, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The GPS signal was fine and the aircraft worked under Sport mode;
2. T=00:32, H=44.5 m, D=15.4 m, the app warned that there was high wind;
3. T=02:50, H=44.5 m, D=4.8 m, there was no pilot's input but the aircraft tilted 21.7 degree rightwards when it was hovering, which indicated that there was high wind from the east affecting the aircraft;
4. The aircraft could not return home normally as it was affected by the high wind, and the battery would be consumed fast;
5. T=08:13, H=9.3 m, D=223.5 m, the app record ended;
6. The takeoff point: -3.2374368 -39.2321324, the end point: -3.2355674 -39.2313686.

According to the analysis, the incident happened due to piloting the aircraft under improper flight environment. Please do not fly in high-wind condition.

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thanks for your support. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dora
DJI Tech Support

2018-9-28
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Brazil

And the video (the last minute of ) - can be found here; https://drive.google.com/open?id ... ntDW4FOT2ECmKK2_F7D

2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Mike, we're sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience. I managed to get your Case Number using your email from your Forum account. We completely understand how you feel about the result but we are very sorry about this. We'd like you to know that before coming to a conclusion, we made sure that our Data Analysis are fair enough about the result of investigation. The data analysis result was made by an independent technical team based on the flight data you’ve provided. We have reviewed your case and found that the result of the investigation is already final. Unfortunately, DJI cannot apply warranty service for this case that has no product malfunction found. But as a courtesy, 15% discount coupon for your next purchase is being offered to you. Once again, sorry for the unfortunate experience and thank you so much for your understanding.
2018-9-28
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Brazil

I have written the case number above..

Can I get a clear answer for a clear question
As you can see in the emails I've posted, I asked 3 times but never got a clear answer.

Can the Mavic Pro be used to film kitesurfing or not? Its a sport practiced ideally at 20-25 knots.
If yes - pls stand behind your warranty.
If no - give a clear answer it should not be used and I will help to bring it to the attention of my fellow kitesurfers to avoid wasting your time and their money
2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-9-28 14:38
I have written the case number above..

I understand, Mike. But as mentioned on the email sent to you, based in our safety guidelines, the pilot should not use the aircraft in the environment with a wind exceeding 10 m/s (23 mph or 20 knots). If the wind exceeded the said speed, it may affect the flight itself and can cause such incident.
2018-9-28
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Brazil

Can you (or anybody else) explain me how for 3 minutes it stayed perfectly hovering at 45 meters without drifting, but 5 minutes later could not return home at 45 meters (it RTH height), while being upwind of the home point?
2018-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-9-29 12:13
Can you (or anybody else) explain me how for 3 minutes it stayed perfectly hovering at 45 meters without drifting, but 5 minutes later could not return home at 45 meters (it RTH height), while being upwind of the home point?

Hi Mike, we are so sorry for your loss, but it is clear that there was strong wind when you flew the drone in the sea, at 00:32, the app warned that there was high wind. At 02:50, there was no pilot's input but the aircraft tilted 21.7 degrees rightwards when hovering, which indicated that there was high wind affecting the aircraft. The wind was from the east. If you don't mind, we can post the screenshot of the flight records.
It is not true that the drone hovered perfectly within 3 minutes, especially, the wind in the sea is unpredictable, thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-30
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Brazil

I already posted the flight log here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/R7ZMN178MJTCMQSZ7GGR/#

I do not argue there was wind of 20-25 knots. I argue the fact that the wind is the reason for the loss of the aircraft

1. Anybody can see that after takeoff for 3 minutes (2:50 to be exact) it goes up to 45 meters and stays there.
2. It even goes directly into the wind beyond the home point.
3. The tilt you refer to at 2:50 happens when the aircraft start to descent, you can see it in the log. So it's not true there were no controls
4. I started video recording about 70-80 seconds after takeoff, I have the video cached, I can post it so you and everybody else can see its hovering still
5. The wind at sea is actually very predictable. The sea is a large open space without hills or building to interfere it, so within 5 minutes and 200 meters distance the wind speed does not change

***UPDATE*** -
The video can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... YuMOS6sMOrv4FJLk2-F
2018-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-9-30 04:14
I already posted the flight log here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/R7ZMN178MJTCMQSZ7GGR/#

Hi Mike, thanks for getting back to us. This case has been forwarded to the management to further check. They will review your case and contact you during the working time. Appreciate your support and understanding.
2018-10-1
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-10-1 01:02
Hi Mike, thanks for getting back to us. This case has been forwarded to the management to further check. They will review your case and contact you during the working time. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Thank you
How soon you think I should expect an answer?
2018-10-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-10-1 01:08
Thank you
How soon you think I should expect an answer?

You should hear from them within 24-48 working hours once they review the case, Mike.
2018-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules