First influences .500 (AC), 200 (RC
3528 50 2018-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larryc43230
Second Officer
Flight distance : 664534 ft

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-1 13:00
i did a few flights today as well, most of my flights where in a low interference areas.. i continued to also suffer from low range issues as well since this update....  600-1000 feet was my sort of range today, normally i can push it out there 2-3 miles in the same area.  in this area signal was almost completely unusable today. however all the various return to home featured worked like they are supposed to.   

i then took it back to same test area i was at yesterday and it was just as bad as it was yesterday i admit the area is peppered with wifi from buildings and houses but never been an issue before.    barely any range now... its a real struggle at times..  and RTH featured this time seemed to mostly work, both a rielf but also worrying.. because its potentially intermittant issue which means harder to track down the root cause.

It sounds as if your experience is very similar to mine. I totally agree with you that, though emergency RTH has allowed me to recover the drone each time so far, I'd rather not have to depend on it. I prefer to be the one in the driver's seat, so to speak, and not have to depend on emergency recovery modes.

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-1 13:09
Can you post the flight logs,

not sure what you need to see in them.  i mean apart from range and potential RTH issues, the aircraft itself is flying solid and true.... and logs arent a very good diagnosis for signal issues.

i believe the issue is with the RC for me, maybe with others as well..  you mentioned we can roll back, right?   i may try that before gets too late here and see if it clear it up..  then maybe tomorrow ill try to isolate it by upgrading the aircraft to .500 and leaving the RC at .100
2018-10-1
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft

NitemareTrainer Posted at 2018-10-1 12:07
This is why I am holding off on doing the firmware  and app update.  My drone works great right now and I am afraid if I update, I am going to be having the same problems that many of are experiencing.

I was having no problems with .0400 but went ahead with .0500. Flew 3 batteries worth today (max distance away from RC 1km.  Could have gone further but it was quite windy) with absolutely no problems
2018-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-1 13:16
not sure what you need to see in them.  i mean apart from range and potential RTH issues, the aircraft itself is flying solid and true.... and logs arent a very good diagnosis for signal issues.

i believe the issue is with the RC for me, maybe with others as well..  you mentioned we can roll back, right?   i may try that before gets too late here and see if it clear it up..  then maybe tomorrow ill try to isolate it by upgrading the aircraft to .500 and leaving the RC at .100

The logs would show the area you are flying in and if there is a problem with RTH , RTH should not be a problem if it is not working properly you shouldn’t be flying your aircraft, logs can show and help in many things, I see you have already opened up your RC which effectively renders your warranty useless .
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-1 13:37
The logs would show the area you are flying in and if there is a problem with RTH , RTH should not be a problem if it is not working properly you shouldn’t be flying your aircraft, logs can show and help in many things, I see you have already opened up your RC which effectively renders your warranty useless .

actually surprisingly the RC appears to use nothing that's tamper evident.. at least in my case, not even the screws had anything tamper evident and no seals broken..  all that being said though, if my RC failed me complete one day, i'd buy a replacement unit on ebay or something instead of trying to ever make another claim with DJi again...   my experience with Dji's customer service has been far from ideal, the battery issue i had... took 3 levels of customer service and multiple cases including one against their own customer care for them to accept my claim and taken approx a month, i rather spend $100 and avoid them, if im honest.  

i agree, i shouldn't be flying if the RTH is having issues... no one should if they having issues since the update that may endanger the aircraft.  i think this update was not meant for release yet and the chinese holiday maybe has put dji on a bit of a rush, so hopefully, when they come back into their offices they can push out .501 or something pretty quickly and fix loose ends up.
2018-10-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-10-1 04:19
The fact that you have to do all that to be sure the update "takes" is just more than a little ridiculous, don't you think?  I've never even thought about having to do that with any other DJI product.

It's not ridiculous if it works every time for me, but you are always free to do the minimum and then complain if you have issues.
If you ever tried the Dumld@re tool, you would be aware that it required flashing twice to be sure also. Hence why I've done it that way since with DJI's Ass2 - with success every time.
Or perhaps sacrificing a chicken each time to the DJI God was what did the trick?
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-10-1 15:12
It's not ridiculous if it works every time for me, but you are always free to do the minimum and then complain if you have issues.
If you ever tried the Dumld@re tool, you would be aware that it required flashing twice to be sure also. Hence why I've done it that way since with DJI's Ass2 - with success every time.
Or perhaps sacrificing a chicken each time to the DJI God was what did the trick?

technically, you arent wrong, multiple update passes can help.. for people may not understand why, think of it like this, you know how one of the common suggestions if your suffering glitches is to refresh the firmware.. this is basically a consecutive refresh after initial update.. nothing wrong with that.  cant hurt anything.

as for dumbledore being a modding tool the reasoning it sometimes may refresh multiple times is because of dji's rather odd system that in place more than anything, just safer and easier to reflash it in bits then do a full pass re-rolled update.
2018-10-1
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Does assistant 2 do the factory reset automatically or do you have to do it manually?  I updated both MA and controller but haven't flown yet.  
2018-10-1
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

NitemareTrainer Posted at 2018-10-1 12:07
This is why I am holding off on doing the firmware  and app update.  My drone works great right now and I am afraid if I update, I am going to be having the same problems that many of are experiencing.

Can you downgrade?  
2018-10-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-1 15:51
technically, you arent wrong, multiple update passes can help.. for people may not understand why, think of it like this, you know how one of the common suggestions if your suffering glitches is to refresh the firmware.. this is basically a consecutive refresh after initial update.. nothing wrong with that.  cant hurt anything.

as for dumbledore being a modding tool the reasoning it sometimes may refresh multiple times is because of dji's rather odd system that in place more than anything, just safer and easier to reflash it in bits then do a full pass re-rolled update.

Agree. You just need to understand the update process (and you can trawl through the stored logs after an update to see what's happening - or not...). The downloaded file is enumerated to individual controller modules which are then applied during the installation phase. I'm guessing each has a version associated which is checked and applied as necessary, which is why a refresh occurs much faster. A multiple refresh is a brute force way of ensuring all modules are appropriately installed.
2018-10-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-1 16:37
Does assistant 2 do the factory reset automatically or do you have to do it manually?  I updated both MA and controller but haven't flown yet.

To my knowledge, Ass2 does not do a factory reset automatically, but it doesn't take long to do one manually afterwards anyway. I'd always suggest the factory reset following an update, rather than before, just in case the update has introduced additional default parameters for new features or corrected parameters for features which they've fixed. Note that I'm just being logical, and can't say for a fact.
2018-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules