Why its so hard to enable Dynamic Home Point for MA?
1455 19 2018-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PiVoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158845 ft
Poland

Litchi supports it.
Spark have it.
Gesture/Follow and Active Track is useless without it..
Please? FFS
2018-9-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not to sure why you would say gesture is useless without dynamic homepoint. Or do you know how it even works.

2018-9-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i want dynamic home point on my mavic air badly..  i dont want it on low battery to return all the way back to take off point or to freak out in the app and stop me from riding my bikes or ATV or something.. i rather it keep setting its homepoint on its current position every few seconds.    this is very useful as it will continue to follow much further and longer.

i want to use active track on the boat im going to be on soon to go visit the my beach house(next week, i get access), but given the distance it will be traveling (3.5 miles) the mavic air will want to return home far too soon means i will have to treat it in a way where i cant trust the drone will act right or make it... but if homepoint keeps updating every few moments on its current location then i have a more accurate read out to gauge if my drone can or cant make it.. and can take action without needing to distrust my drone.
2018-9-30
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Dynamic Home point is a must in certain scenarios. The Mavic Air should support this, especially if the Spark does. Silly they haven't included it yet.
2018-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-30 12:21
i want dynamic home point on my mavic air badly..  i dont want it on low battery to return all the way back to take off point or to freak out in the app and stop me from riding my bikes or ATV or something.. i rather it keep setting its homepoint on its current position every few seconds.    this is very useful as it will continue to follow much further and longer.

i want to use active track on the boat im going to be on soon to go visit the my beach house(next week, i get access), but given the distance it will be traveling (3.5 miles) the mavic air will want to return home far too soon means i will have to treat it in a way where i cant trust the drone will act right or make it... but if homepoint keeps updating every few moments on its current location then i have a more accurate read out to gauge if my drone can or cant make it.. and can take action without needing to distrust my drone.

"i dont want it on low battery to return all the way back to take off point"

Can you not switch off 'Smart Return-to-home' in battery settings in DJI Go 4 ? That will ensure that it doesn't RTH when battery low.
The dynamic home point on the Mavic Pro is only effective when using Active Track. It doesn't work in any other mode.

And might be an idea to set loss of signal to hover rather than RTH, most likely you would have aircraft in sight if on a boat.
2018-9-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. We do apologize if the Mavic Air doesn't support the Dynamic Home Point as of the moment. We will forward your suggestion with our R&D so that we could determine what we can do for the Mavic Air to support this feature.
2018-9-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-30 15:18
"i dont want it on low battery to return all the way back to take off point"

Can you not switch off 'Smart Return-to-home' in battery settings in DJI Go 4 ? That will ensure that it doesn't RTH when battery low.

im not sure disabling smart RTH will change the behavior of it wanting to RTH back at take off point..  isnt smart RTH the 3D mapping thing where it retraces last few moments of flying before making a B line for homepoint?  i think disabling that will just mean that it turns around flies up to designated height then makes a B-line back to homepoint.

2018-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-30 16:52
im not sure disabling smart RTH will change the behavior of it wanting to RTH back at take off point..  isnt smart RTH the 3D mapping thing where it retraces last few moments of flying before making a B line for homepoint?  i think disabling that will just mean that it turns around flies up to designated height then makes a B-line back to homepoint.

"isnt smart RTH the 3D mapping thing where it retraces last few moments of flying before making a B line for homepoint?"

Not in the case of this switch.

It is badly named as all other references to 'smart RTH' are indeed related to you initiating RTH by pushing button on RC or tapping RTH on screen.

It's as I described, have a look at it in the battery menu in DJI Go 4. It has a short note describing what it does.
2018-9-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-30 18:01
"isnt smart RTH the 3D mapping thing where it retraces last few moments of flying before making a B line for homepoint?"

Not in the case of this switch.

i will test that out later then..  make sure it works as expected before putting it out behind a boat over the salty ocean water.
2018-10-1
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88074 ft

I'd like to be able to use ActiveTrack when I'm biking using only my phone to control the drone.  Without dynamic home point, there is a 100m limit on ActiveTrack unless you have the controller with you.  Totally useless as I have no way to mount the controller to my road bike, nor do I want to.  Was really hoping for this feature with the new update and yes, I agree that it is absurd not to add it when it's little brother can do it.
2018-10-1
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

+1 on this.

This feature is a "must have" for ActiveTrack.

C'mon DJI give us dynamic homepoint and waypoints on Mavic Air, we know the hardware can handle it.
2018-10-1
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254370 ft
Germany

Also a ++1 from me.
Dynamic Homepoint is/should be a priorised feature for an adventure drone. "Unfold your adventure" was the claim for the MA. so DJI please add this feature soon! Is it really such a great problem to implement it in the software? Or are there strategic/marketing reasons for?
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

devilsBastard Posted at 2018-10-1 22:42
Also a ++1 from me.
Dynamic Homepoint is/should be a priorised feature for an adventure drone. "Unfold your adventure" was the claim for the MA. so DJI please add this feature soon! Is it really such a great problem to implement it in the software? Or are there strategic/marketing reasons for?

has to be a money driven reason, even the spark has dynamic homepoint and the spark is a fairly stripped down drone with relatively poor battery life.   so im a little baffled by the decision on this one dji..  

are they saving features to add later or are they really out of ideas and they decided on holding featured back until the Mavic 2 Air ?
2018-10-1
Use props
PiVoR
lvl.4
Poland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-1 23:23
has to be a money driven reason, even the spark has dynamic homepoint and the spark is a fairly stripped down drone with relatively poor battery life.   so im a little baffled by the decision on this one dji..  

are they saving features to add later or are they really out of ideas and they decided on holding featured back until the Mavic 2 Air ?

Or they dont want MA to be too good so you get a more expensive models..
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

what the hell dji... why did this edit trigger your content filter...?   dji, your filters are drunk!  
2018-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PiVoR Posted at 2018-10-1 23:28

that's a possibility, but currently no reason they need to artificially sandbag their hardware currently no or very very little market overlap they need to worry about.
2018-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

PiVoR Posted at 2018-10-1 23:28

“Or they don’t want Mavic Air to be good”

Mavic Air is a great craft, you should take it out flying you would appreciate it more.
2018-10-2
Use props
PiVoR
lvl.4
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-2 01:44

Mavic Air is a great craft, you should take it out flying you would appreciate it more.

I cant cause it stops after 100 meters..
/Sarcasm
2018-10-2
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Germany

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-1 23:30
what the hell dji... why did this edit trigger your content filter...?   dji, your filters are drunk!  [view_image]

Pitched a nest of wasps, maybe?
2018-10-2
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-2 01:44

Yes, it is a great quad, and we all got what we have payed for (specs list). Dynamic homepoints is a feature request, an addon to the factory settings - but it would make sense and increase the possibilities. I would not buy another drone, only to get this feature. Like the portability for outdoor action. But for hiking and biking it would be good to have, would make things alot easier.

happy landings
2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules