Mavic 2 incorrect GPS recording in EXIF tags
6950 35 2018-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Glitchy
lvl.1

Best Solution (as of the time of this edit):  Upgrade to Pix4D 4.4.9.  As of the time of this edit-entry it isn't part of the automatic update but is available at https://cloud.pix4d.com/download/

Is there any way to get the Mavic 2 to record the GPS EXIF tags correctly?

We use DJI mavic drones for photogrammetryand engineering mapping.   We've used the Mavic 1 in the past before without issues but we are now having significant problems with the Mavic 2 files.  We took several hundred photos of an area withe the Mavic 2 and processed it in Pix4d (the photogrammetry package we use).   The location of the resulting map model was off by hundreds of feet.   We've replicated this same errored result in several other locations.  After posting on the Pix4d website forum for a resolution (This is the link to the original forum post I made: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022989372-Pix-4D-Mavoc-2-Processing-Issues) it seems the issue is that the Mavic 2 is storing GPS in two different locations as both XMP and EXIF tags....and the EXIF tags are actually incorrect (read below for more details on that).    Unfortunately, these same EXIF tags are what Pix4D reads.  So is there any way to get the Mavic 2 to record the GPS EXIF tags correctly or can we excpect that in an update soon?

Hello Jack,
After some investigation, I found out what is going on and the reason for your displacement or the reason why Pix4D is locating the images far away from the place where they were really taken.
I have opened the EXIF data embedded in your TIFF files.
You can also do it by using the free exiv2.exe application ( http://www.exiv2.org/download.html )  or you can also use this website and drag any image ( http://metapicz.com/#landing ).
If you do that, you will see that your images have two places where the GPS coordinates are stored and they are different:
1.XMP tags

Xmp.drone-dji.Latitude XmpText 11 +30.2967378
Xmp.drone-dji.Longitude XmpText 11 -97.2779208
They are coming from your DJI drone and they show you the right coordinates,  where the flight was really taken, which is to say, over the road.
2. EXIF tags:
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLatitudeRef Ascii 2 North
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLatitude Rational 3 30deg 17' -13.140"
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLongitudeRef Ascii 2 West
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLongitude Rational 3 97deg 16' -20.967"
This is the place where the coordinates are usually stored and where Pix4D takes them from.
If you do the conversion from Degrees,Minutes and Seconds to Decimal degress , what you have is:
30.28698°
-97.27249°
Which differs in more than kilometer from the coordinates from the XMP tags.
That means that the drone is storing two different coordinates for each photo and they are far away from each other.
In addition to that, the seconds have a negative sign, so Pix4D is subtracting that amount of seconds to the minutes, so what Pix4D is really taking is:
30 deg 16' 46.86"
97 deg 15' 39.033"
Converted into decimal degrees:
Which is the place where the images are located in Pix4D's map view.
Are these TIFF images generated automatically from the DJI or it generated JPG and they were converted into TIFF?
You can find more information abot the EXIF and XMP information read by Pix4D here.
If you want to use the real position, they must be stored in the EXIF tags and not in the DJI XMP tags.
I show you in Google Earth the differences between the three positions:
[img]https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/NTJ5t8Kf9NxSVT8zVQzHOPDDhPDXpkMy1x_7cqAyH481QxPr4r1L1kzG0UP6ab9OsCZmWHbfk0vgXniviwKHI6iY0DZxQP9A9Xs2Wh9QQx3WePTagA1rCQIP=s0-d-e1-ft#https://support.pix4d.com/hc/use ... d0GaT_T-92A9QQ.jpeg[/img]
It would be good to know why the drone is storing two different sets of coordinates which are more than 1 km away, and why the seconds are stored with a negative sign. Maybe you can contact the drone or camera manufacturer.
Regards.

2018-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Mavic 2 is not yet supported by Pix4D:
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en- ... ted-by-Pix4Dcapture
...  or other similar programs like DroneDeploy.
Use a Phantom 4 pro if you want to produce maps.
2018-10-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. I would coordinate this concern with our engineers to see what would be the best recommendation about this. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-1
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-1 15:01
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/203991609--Android-iOS-Which-drones-are-supported-by-Pix4Dcapture

Yes we are using the Phantom 4s in the meantime.  This doesn't address the problem with the incorrect GPS tags in the Mavic 2 which are the cause of the issue.
2018-10-2
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-1 16:16
Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. I would coordinate this concern with our engineers to see what would be the best recommendation about this. Thank you for the support.

What is the best method by which to coordinate with the engineers?
2018-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Glitchy Posted at 2018-10-2 04:59

He was just fobbing you off.  Probably nothing will happen.
Talk to the companies that produce mapping software and ask if or when they might have compatible versions of their software for the Mavic 2.
2018-10-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Glitchy Posted at 2018-10-2 04:59

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. I was able to check this concern with our engineers and I would like to ask if you could possibly upload the photos that you were able to capture for further check. Please see your inbox as well for me to help you properly. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-2
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-2 10:24
Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. I was able to check this concern with our engineers and I would like to ask if you could possibly upload the photos that you were able to capture for further check. Please see your inbox as well for me to help you properly. Thank you for the support.

Here is a link to 3 of the source images for this drone project:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aoq26ZQwst6yeZSQ1rn_8GKwE9U
2018-10-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Glitchy Posted at 2018-10-2 10:25
Here is a link to 3 of the source images for this drone project:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aoq26ZQwst6yeZSQ1rn_8GKwE9U

Hi, Thanks for providing this details. Unfortunately, the link is not working on my end. I do apologize for the troubles, could you please try to upload it again using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here again? Again, I sent you PM, kindly check your inbox. Thank you for your understanding.
2018-10-2
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-2 11:02
Hi, Thanks for providing this details. Unfortunately, the link is not working on my end. I do apologize for the troubles, could you please try to upload it again using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here again? Again, I sent you PM, kindly check your inbox. Thank you for your understanding.

Here is a dropbox link to the same files https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm1fkxq96nt2v66/DJI_0230.zip?dl=0
2018-10-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Glitchy Posted at 2018-10-2 11:15
Here is a dropbox link to the same files https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm1fkxq96nt2v66/DJI_0230.zip?dl=0

Thank you for providing the photos. Please fill out the details that I may need for further assistance under your PM.
2018-10-2
Use props
HCKruger
New

Jordan

Any outcome, same problem with my Mavik 2 Zoom and friends Mavik 2 Pro
2018-11-2
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

United States

As far as I'm aware DJI hasn't taken any action to fix the altitude issue.
2018-11-8
Use props
milint33w
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-1 15:01
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/203991609--Android-iOS-Which-drones-are-supported-by-Pix4Dcapture

This is not an appropriate answer.
2018-11-17
Use props
milint33w
lvl.1
United States

Glitchy Posted at 11-8 13:43
As far as I'm aware DJI hasn't taken any action to fix the altitude issue.

It isn't an altitude issue. It is a GPS tagging issue, and the primary concern is horizontal, not vertical.
2018-11-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

milint33w Posted at 11-17 14:09
This is not an appropriate answer.

It still looks like a totally appropriate answer.
The exif data is still incorrect and as a result, the various mapping apps still don't support the Mavic 2.
2018-11-17
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

My geolocation data for pictures I've taken with the Zoom seem to be pretty accurate when I open the exif links in GoogleMaps.

I managed to snap a picture when closing down and the Zoom was on the picnic table.  As seen, it is pretty right on in gmaps and G-earth shows the tack in the picnic table.  Now would I rely on it for surveying - probably not???

2018-11-17
Use props
Dimitri Kabore
lvl.1

Burkina Faso

Hello.
I want to buy a mavic 2 pro for photogrammetry.  But I'm worried by this problem. I need to be sure that it will resolved by DJI.
2018-12-5
Use props
Dimitri Kabore
lvl.1

Burkina Faso

DJI Tony Posted at 10-1 16:16

Hello can I be sure that this trouble will be solved in the next updates of the firmware ?  I want to buy a mavic 2 pro for photogrammetry.
2018-12-5
Use props
Sergey Astakhov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122723 ft
Russia

Dimitri Kabore Posted at 12-5 16:58
Hello can I be sure that this trouble will be solved in the next updates of the firmware ?  I want to buy a mavic 2 pro for photogrammetry.

The issue with altitude is already fixed in the last firmware.
See details there: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=171969
As for wrong recording of lon/lat values - I never see this on my mavic 2 pro.
2018-12-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dimitri Kabore Posted at 12-5 16:58

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. Because the camera is taking the fusion height of the flight controller to generate the EXIF information of the photo, which is calculated by a specific algorithm by referring to two measurement heights as Barometer and GPS. However, the value of barometer is very easy to be affected by the external environment. For example, if there is a wind blowing in the air, the pressure value near the barometer will change abruptly, by which the barometer would show different height measurement (but in fact the aircraft height does not change, the only posture may be changed). Meanwhile, the temperature will also affect the height value. In general, there are many factors that can affect the barometer.
For GPS, the most important thing is the number of stars. The more stars there are, the more accurate the value is, and vice versa. Environmental interference will also influence GPS. Therefore, customers (especially those who do high-profile applications such as surveying and mapping) will mention that the high-level information in our photo EXIF information is very inaccurate, so it is necessary to explain the above principles to these customers and inform these customers that this information is for reference only. Our aircraft has an aerial photography function, but it does not mean accurate terrain mapping. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-6
Use props
steffnat
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 12-6 12:09
Hi, thanks for your inquiry. Because the camera is taking the fusion height of the flight controller to generate the EXIF information of the photo, which is calculated by a specific algorithm by referring to two measurement heights as Barometer and GPS. However, the value of barometer is very easy to be affected by the external environment. For example, if there is a wind blowing in the air, the pressure value near the barometer will change abruptly, by which the barometer would show different height measurement (but in fact the aircraft height does not change, the only posture may be changed). Meanwhile, the temperature will also affect the height value. In general, there are many factors that can affect the barometer.
For GPS, the most important thing is the number of stars. The more stars there are, the more accurate the value is, and vice versa. Environmental interference will also influence GPS. Therefore, customers (especially those who do high-profile applications such as surveying and mapping) will mention that the high-level information in our photo EXIF information is very inaccurate, so it is necessary to explain the above principles to these customers and inform these customers that this information is for reference only. Our aircraft has an aerial photography function, but it does not mean accurate terrain mapping. Thank you for understanding.

Hallo Tony,
I think you mean satellites because stars have nothing to do with GNSS (= Global Navigation Satellite System including the American GPS, the Russian GLONASS, the Chinese BEIDOU and the European GALILEO).
The constellation of the satellites is important for sure but nowadays there are normally always enough satellites to receive a good signal (at least here in Central Europe where I´m doing some research about GNSS survey in forests).

Other sources of influences to the accuracy:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268186524_Techniques_to_improve_the_GPS_precision

GNSS error sources

GNSS error sources

But even with all the forementioned is it strange that the XMP files of the Mavic 2 Pro pictures have the right coordinates and the EXIF file have somehow falsly 'corrected' coordinates.
And I really would like to know why my Phantom 3 Pro and also all the other Phantoms I know have no problems with it but my brand new high tech Mavic cannot write the Exif correctly!?

A little bit frustrated I  found a workaround for correcting the height and the coordinates to get  the pictures to their right spots:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 969&pid=1674338

Regards!
Steffen

2018-12-9
Use props
Dimitri Kabore
lvl.1

Burkina Faso

Hi.

I saw this video https://youtu.be/X0ZYcBg2iXU.
It's said that the mavic 2 pro has a problems of scaling for the mapping use. I want to know if somebody have meet the same problem.
2018-12-10
Use props
Dimitri Kabore
lvl.1

Burkina Faso

Hi.

I saw this video https://youtu.be/X0ZYcBg2iXU.
It's said that the mavic 2 pro has a problems of scaling for the mapping use. I want to know if somebody have meet the same problem.
2018-12-10
Use props
UtahDroneGuy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55922 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I found a way around this issue for now but it is painstakingly slow and annoying. I created a simple Excel sheet to convert DegMinSec into Decimal Degrees and if you go into your image properties under details you will find the correct Lat Long data. In Pix4d you can go to your image properties and then manually override the incorrect data with the correct data you just converted. The excel sheet wasn't too difficult to make but if you are flying missions with hundreds of photos I completely understand if this isn't an option
2019-1-23
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Is this still a thing??? C’mon DJI!!!
2019-1-23
Use props
Andres Delta
lvl.1
Colombia

The main purpose we bought the Magic 2 for, was to use it for basic 3D mapping with Pix4D... but have the same problem, does any one knows any app that in the mean time can do the corrections...? Tony any idea when DJI will be giving a solution to this problem...?
2019-1-28
Use props
Mavic User
lvl.1
Australia

Same problem here, My Photos from my Mavic 2 are recording incorrect GPS Coordinates.

My Photos from my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 are recording correct GPS coordinates.

DJI Tony, could you please urgently advise on how to fix my Mavic 2 so that my Photos record the correct GPS coordinates like my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4?

Thank you.
2019-1-29
Use props
Mavic User
lvl.1
Australia

Same problem here, My Photos from my Mavic 2 are recording incorrect GPS Coordinates.

My Photos from my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 are recording correct GPS coordinates.

DJI Tony, could you please urgently advise on how to fix my Mavic 2 so that my Photos record the correct GPS coordinates like my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4?

Thank you.
2019-1-29
Use props
Mavic User
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-2 11:02
Hi, Thanks for providing this details. Unfortunately, the link is not working on my end. I do apologize for the troubles, could you please try to upload it again using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link here again? Again, I sent you PM, kindly check your inbox. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Tony,

Thank you.
2019-1-29
Use props
Mavic User
lvl.1
Australia

Mavic User Posted at 1-29 17:28
Hi Tony,

My Apologies DJI Tony.

The Mavic 2 Pro GPS Coordinates are correct. I was processing the images using PIX4d and Pix4D has now admitted that Pix4D version 4.3.31 has been incorrectly reading the JPEG EXIF Tag coordinates. So the problem is being solved by Pix4D.

Please ignore my request above.

Thank you.

For anyone interested in Pix4D correction, see link below:

https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en- ... 2-Processing-Issues

Pix4d has launched a Preview of 4.4.9 which reads Mavic 2 Pro jpeg EXIF tags correctly as of 24 Jan 2019. I am still waiting for the proper release version.

2019-1-30
Use props
dinobaldi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 191453 ft
Italy

Today I'm having the same problem with the last firmware on the Mavic2 pro and the last Windows verison of pix4d....

2019-3-1
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

Hello! I have a Mavic Air and having the same problem as you guys, as of 2019 april latest Pix4Dmapper and latest firmware for Mavic Air.
2019-4-1
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

Please read the link

https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022989372-Pix4D-Mavic-2-Processing-Issues

You have here the possibility to resolve this issue in 3 different ways.

Best regards.
2019-4-2
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Pix4D reads the XMP tags of Mavic 2 created images and not the EXIF tags
DJI writes different LAT/LONG coordinates in EXIF and XMP tags in the same image. (why?)
That's the reason PIX4D input data is misplaced a few kilometers.

For all affected, use the workaround given in post #32.
2019-4-2
Use props
4Pro_Moverio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3537228 ft
United States

twilight Posted at 4-2 00:52
Please read the link

https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022989372-Pix4D-Mavic-2-Processing-Issues

Just got updated on Mavic 2 Zoom, hoping GPS data is accurate now!
2019-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules