Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA Approves DJI To Authorize Customer Flights In Controlled Airspace
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

This could be very interesting.   Didn't see it posted here yet.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/faa-approves-dji-to-authorize-customer-flights-in-controlled-airspace

2018-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What does it say?

October 1, 2018 – DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, has been approved to offer Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) services for professional drone pilots. After a rigorous test and validation of DJI’s technology capabilities, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Monday announced its approval of DJI as a UAS Service Supplier, allowing DJI to offer its customers near-real-time authorization to fly in controlled airspace near airports.

“DJI has always led the industry in helping open America’s skies for productive small drone flights while keeping safety as the top priority, and offering LAANC capability to our customers is another example of our dedication to meeting their needs,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs. “The LAANC system is a testament to the FAA’s global leadership in integrating drones into the airspace safely and efficiently, including in areas that are close to airports, using a technology solution that reflects the fast-paced development of the drone industry.”

The FAA established LAANC this year to help professional drone pilots operate within controlled airspace at approximately 500 airports where commercial drone flights are generally prohibited without authorization. LAANC designates locations within that airspace that can be used safely up to approved altitudes, and monitors temporary flight restrictions and other limits that could affect flights there. Pilots can use LAANC to review those limits, plan flights and file applications. LAANC processes those applications instantly and provides information about those flights to FAA Air Traffic, improving situational awareness and enhancing aviation safety.

“Before LAANC, using drones for productive work near many airports required detailed applications and up to months of waiting, even when the benefits were clear and safety was prioritized. Now, LAANC allows easy drone use in more than 2,000 square miles near airports, including many populated areas that can benefit tremendously from drone operations,” said Brandon Montellato, DJI Program Manager – Enterprise Solutions. “More than 100,000 Part 107-certified drone pilots will now be able to perform valuable work – from inspections and surveys to filming and photography – with near-instant approval.”

DJI’s approval as a UAS Service Supplier is just the latest example of how DJI collaborates with the FAA and other national aviation authorities around the world to enhance and improve safety while integrating drones into the airspace. Last year, DJI worked with the FAA to develop a mandatory DJI Knowledge Quiz that pilots must pass before taking their first flights with DJI drones, and has expanded the program to the United Kingdom and Australia as well. DJI also served on the FAA’s Remote Identification and Tracking Aviation Rulemaking Committee to provide expertise on security and safety solutions.

As a UAS Service Supplier, DJI now has the ability to allow enterprise customers and other professional users to use their DJI accounts to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals while planning their flights. Further details on LAANC integration into DJI’s product ecosystem will be announced in due course.

RedHotPoker

2018-10-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

This should put the cat among the pigeons, DJI finally have the right to tell you when and where you can fly, despite hundreds of people wailing that they have no right to do so.
2018-10-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

Although I agree with the Big Brother sentiment by Geebax ... being a member of LARPAS - it gives a view on what is out there somewhat different.

Majority of flyers will not incur 'events' that cause problems. But unfortunately there are enough who think the airspace is there to be used in any way they want.

If education of the masses of owners of these machines is not possible - not every DJI owner is a member of a forum with the info ... then how to have safety ? That's the crux of it. The whole intention of regulation - we wont get into other areas where we all know regs are there for 'other reasons' ... here we are considering flights near airports and to make easier for people to have authorisation to fly.

The question is though - will it lead to other actions where use of the DJI is further monitored and restricted ?

Nigel
2018-10-2
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I understand that Altitude Angel over here is to be involved with it too. I wonder if a similar system is being contemplated for the UK on the back of that?
2018-10-2
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-10-1 20:50
This should put the cat among the pigeons, DJI finally have the right to tell you when and where you can fly, despite hundreds of people wailing that they have no right to do so.

I guess there are 2 ways to look at it
   If you are a 107 pilot it could be very beneficial from a time standpoint.
   If you are a hobbyist and they lock the area down for you tighter than what it is some will be pi$$ed.
2018-10-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Let me ask a question :

Do people believe that there should be no limitation on our flights and it should be up to the flyer to decide when / where ?

Note : I am no supporter of Big Brother tactics or regulations, but base my question on the general posts I see on this site and others as well as my involvement with LARPAS.

Nigel
2018-10-2
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nigel, good question.  Not sure if the common sense gene has been bred out of society or it's just because the population has gone up and we have more ways of finding out about things, it seems the percentage has gotten out of balance.  People always have and always will do stupid things.   Some folks can't help themselves and have to call out even the most minor of what they feel are infractions.   To help balance things out others enact laws and regulations to keep things from getting out of hand, sometimes going overboard in the process.

I'm in the middle.   I can see where some regulation is going to be required, but I feel in many instances we are already in the overboard condition.  More so on a local and State level than National.

Some of the videos I see posted almost make my stomach turn a bit, but the way some of the folks are calling others out over something that is not really unsafe makes me see red.

I also find it a little weird that 107 pilots seem to be much more restricted than hobbyist in many ways when it's the hobbyist that seem to cause the problems and the 107's at least had to pass a test on the regs.

Guess you could just color me confused sometimes.
2018-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

I think there is also a misconception of Laws and Regs.

Many think of them in terms of stopping people from doing something. Which any fool knows is not possible. It is not a physical barrier in any way.

Laws and Regs are there to give Authorities the TOOL to use to take action against those who break them.

It may sound daft to state it - but its actually a fundamental and important part of it.

Why do Laws and Regs get made ? Vast majority because of some fool or fools that do something stupid and the consequences that occur. Very few Laws and Rules are actually written BEFORE events.

Those events may be actually incidents that get falsely reported, over-stated, basically acted on by some bureaucrat with little understanding of the real matter. But the fact remains - it usually means an event has occurred to bring it to attention of Authority.

In my view - there are many factors in all this :

The accessibility of the easy to fly Multi-Rotor model with its stabilisation and reduced need for learning curve to take off ...

The idiot who decides to fly it in a park with other people in vicinity ...

The idiot who thinks airspace regardless of whether its near an airport ... in a street .... etc is open book for them to play with their model ...

It all boils down to the stupidity of our race ... and the 'I'll never get caught' ... 'It won 't happen to me' .... that then creates reason to regulate.

Look at speed limits ... If all people regardless slowed down and were at safe speed for the road - Speed Limits would not be needed.  But the idiot with his heavy right foot put paid to that !!

Nigel
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thank you for sharing this details. Please let us know if you have a concern as well. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-4
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-4 14:57
Hi, Thank you for sharing this details. Please let us know if you have a concern as well. Thank you for the support.

Tony ... I think you've missed the bit about people not too happy that its more power to FAA to regulate.

Nigel
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules