Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Preparing batteries for travel, and flighying below homepoint
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Hi there!

Ok, sorry if these questions are kind of silly, but I am new to this whole thing, and neither the user manuals, nor my (adimtedly poor) google-fu, nor a forum search gave me any satisfactory answer. I'd really appreciate comments or links regarding these.

Question #1: I'm planning a short trip in two weeks, which will involve a plane ride. I've been reading on how to transport the intelligent batteries, and I will certainly buy LiPo bags for them. What I'm not so sure about is the discharging procedure. Should I discharge them to storage level (30-50%) to what's described as "fully depleting" them for power cycling (~8%), or really fully deplete them (until they can't be turned on)?
The handbook seems contradictory, saying on the one hand that they should be fully discharged (Travel Notice in the intelligent battery safety guidlines), and on the other to never over-discharge your battery (Battery Maintenance)... I'm a bit confused by that.

Question #2 (and possibly three): Yesterday, I was flying at the coast, at some really beautiful cliffs. Views were fantastic, and the P3A behaved great. At one point, I had started flying from the top of the cliff, and had flown it around 100 meters out to sea. As I turned it around, I was tempted to fly down to around 30 meters above the sea, and film an ascent, showing the rocky walls. That would have brought me below my home point, and since I was unsure of how the P3 behaves under those conditions, ultimately decided against it. So, now my question(s). What would happen if I suddenly got RTH below my home point? Will it fly up to the home point level, plus whatever extra height I defined for RTH altitude? Also, what will the pilot app say about altitude level? Will they be negative numbers, or will it just stay at 0?

Ok, and that's that! Thanks a bunch for any help you can provide.

2015-5-31
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Try it and let us know please...  No guts no glory...  Lol
2015-5-31
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

As long as your P3 is greater than 20 m (65 ft) away from the home point, if it enters RTH mode, it will move to the altitude you set for the RTH altitude (relative to the elevation of the home point) and then move horizontally to the home point location and then descend until it lands.  Be careful, if the P3 is less than 20 m from the home point and it enters RTH it will slowly descend at its current location and land.
2015-5-31
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Can't really answer #1 but as for # 2 why not try testing in a "controlled" setting. Place the P3 on top of your house/home/building of residence (or similar surface that is at at least 10 feet off the ground) and try flying below the takeoff point then return to home. Remember you have to be at least 20m(66ft) from your home point or else the P3 will land where it is.
2015-5-31
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-1 13:51
As long as your P3 is greater than 20 m (65 ft) away from the home point, if it enters RTH mode, it  ...

This is correct.  Your home point also sets the altitude that you took off from.
I fly with my P3 all the time as carry on luggage.  I do not discharge my lipos.  If you decide to do so that is your choice.  My P3, Tx, and 3 lipos travel in my rolling backpack.  They all fit in the overhead bin.
2015-5-31
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Thanks very much for the answers. It looks like I'll be doing some descents soon, then ;)
as for the batteries, I'll follow your advice, Tahoe Ed, and just transport them as is. Actually, ever since I started reading about this whole battery transport fuss, I felt like I was missing the point. I mean, most ultrabooks have Lipo batteries with 50-60Wh, and nobody appears frightened when someone takes out their macbook air in flight.
2015-5-31
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

Just remember to carry on the batteries do not check them.
2015-6-1
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Rincewind Posted at 2015-6-1 15:07
Thanks very much for the answers. It looks like I'll be doing some descents soon, then ;)
as for the ...

I travel with 3. I got a 20 dollar pelican case for a small camera that is waterproof and has the squares you can remove. It holds 3 perfectly and safely. TSA was very appreciative in how I present them for scan and explosives check. It is very fast and easy if you open the case and have them ready for inspection. They are much more at ease with them if you do so.
2015-6-3
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Like this...

http://www.pelicancase.com/case.html?productID=1150
They are cheaper on sites like Amazon and Ebay sometimes.
2015-6-3
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Thanks jimcloud, ill check it out and see if I can get something like that over here. Ill report back after my trip!
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules