3244 22 2018-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djmokoia77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451627 ft
United Kingdom

Morning,

I was out filming some video at the weekend and it was a bright sunny day. I wanted to add an ND filter to change the aperture on the camera but when I tried to remove the lens cover to fit it I found that I couldn't.

This is the first time I've tried to put an ND filter on this Phantom. I didn't want to use any more force for fear of damaging the gimbal. Anyone else run into this kind of issue? I'd rather not have to send it back to DJi just to get this resolved if I can help it.

2018-10-3
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Try Propellers removal tool ,  put rear gimbal protection and do it carefully .

2018-10-3
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hope it help djmokoia77
2018-10-3
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I had the same problem trying to remove an ND filter.  What I discovered was that there had been quite a temp difference between the camera body & the filter body when I had fitted it.  There was no way I could coax the thing off.  Then,  after a "light bulb" moment I put the drone,  with the filter attached into the fridge for an hour or so.  Once the temps had reduced & balanced the filter came off.

Just a thought - that's all.  But if your camera was cold & the filter warm when it had been last fitted ..........  ???
The only other advice is:  Don't squeeze !  I know that it is easy to try to get a good tight grip on the filter,  but all you are doing is squeezing it tighter onto the camera body.

Good luck.  I'd try the fridge first.
2018-10-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just lick ya finge, rub with thumb (just damp not soaking) then every so lightly twist it off, if it wont move, ya our pressing too much, ever so, ever so lightly
2018-10-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

As the others mentioned, very gentle grip, otherwise it grips onto the threads if held too tightly. I also made things slightly easier for future removal by putting a tiny, very tiny touch of petroleum jelly on threads.
2018-10-3
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

One of the users in another thread recommended wrapping a couple of rubber bands around the filter so check out https://forum.dji.com/thread-82572-1-1.html
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please try to be gentle in removing the stock lens because it might damage the gimbal of your drone if too much pressure is added in removing the stock lens. You can use a rubber band or rubber gloves and turn it gently with very little pressure and untwist it. Please let me know if you were able to remove it successfully, thanks for your support.
2018-10-3
Use props
djmokoia77
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So far, no luck. As I mentioned in my original post, I am being very gentle and do not wish to use a lot of force. I have removed the stock lens from other Phantom 4s in the past without issue but this one feels like it is seized/has been glued on!
2018-10-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I tried all the methods above but the only one that finally worked was the prop removal tool mentioned in post #2.  Good luck
2018-10-3
Use props
djmokoia77
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks (thanks for all the suggestions actually). I guess I will have to see if I can track down a prop removal tool now
2018-10-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it will not budge, then apply lighter pressure, if its still the same, then lighter still, what you may think is light, will not be, thing is, these are made of very flimsy material and the slightest of pressue puts it out of shape and aids grip to the thread itself, the even the slightest of grips can have the opposite effect, try this again but, wet thumb, and rub on 1st 2 fingers, then applying thumb and 1st 2 fingers evenly around  the lens with a very light evenly  spread pressure between 2 fings and thumb turn anti clockwise, the thumb and 2 fingers help spread the light pressure  around the lens so as to reduce squeezing it in at anyone point reducing the risk of thread lock, once youve figured  out just how light we mean you will be able to do it one handed ;) I just made a quick video for you to see where i place my fingers, i only need two now but i used 3 in the video to show you,

2018-10-3
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

It's sooo delicate !
You will get it off sooner or later I am sure......  be gentle.
Did you try the fridge idea ?
If that fails maybe a warm environment ?
Neither can hurt & may prove of assistance.
2018-10-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

djmokoia77 Posted at 2018-10-3 08:50
Thanks (thanks for all the suggestions actually). I guess I will have to see if I can track down a prop removal tool now

Aloha djmokoia,

In the meantime, using the other suggestions, be sure to spread your fingers evenly around the rim of then and apply the light pressure while trying to turn the cover / filter.  They all have the right idea but the pressure has to be evenly spaced around the rim.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Have you won the challenge yet ?
2018-10-5
Use props
djmokoia77
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 2018-10-5 00:51
Have you won the challenge yet ?

Ha! No, not yet. I need to find a suitable rubber band or something similar that I can grip it with
2018-10-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I found that a rubber hose attachment worked great like this one
images.jpg

Just gently push it against the lens then turn anti clockwise works every time for me
2018-10-5
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

djmokoia77 Posted at 2018-10-5 00:54
Ha! No, not yet. I need to find a suitable rubber band or something similar that I can grip it with

The type of rubber band they put around a lobster claw works great.
2018-10-5
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-10-5 02:40
I found that a rubber hose attachment worked great like this one
[view_image]

.........  and now when the missus does the laundry the place gets flooded ???
2018-10-6
Use props
djmokoia77
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update: I found a rubber glove (washing up type of thing) and used that. Did the trick and I managed to get the UV filter off. Thanks to everyone here for their suggestions. Now all I need is some weather to get out flying again
2018-10-13
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

damn djmokoia77 you just killed a good thread . Actually you're one of the few to let us know how it went.
2018-10-13
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 2018-10-3 04:55
One of the users in another thread recommended wrapping a couple of rubber bands around the filter so check out https://forum.dji.com/thread-82572-1-1.html

Yes, always handy to carry a few and they work great for this purpose and situations like this.
2018-10-14
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Good on yer  djmokoia77.  You had to succeed sooner or later.
Thanks for letting the forum followers know.  It's always good to hear of a positive result.

2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules