wif-otg cable
1772 24 2018-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
driverman930
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93865 ft
United States

When you use the otg you set tablit/phone to airplane mode and set wifi as forget this network (spark) I tried this and seem to work anybody else use there set up like this?

2018-10-3
Use props
tallackn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40915 ft
New Zealand

You should not put it in airplane mode.  Your GPS accuracy will be impacted.  Simply forget any wireless network you are on (so you are not joined to any wifi) and turn off your bluetooth.  That will work just fine.  
2018-10-4
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

You dont't need to have wifi on when you are using otg, that's the benefit of the otg.

As for gps being impacted when in airplane mode, i have been doing so for over a year with no issues, the drone itself finds satellites and gps.
2018-10-4
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
United States

warubikku Posted at 2018-10-4 01:33
You dont't need to have wifi on when you are using otg, that's the benefit of the otg.

As for gps being impacted when in airplane mode, i have been doing so for over a year with no issues, the drone itself finds satellites and gps.

Thanks it clears things up only had my spark a couple weeks still trying things out but I am loving it!
2018-10-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

driverman930 Posted at 2018-10-4 02:11
Thanks it clears things up only had my spark a couple weeks still trying things out but I am loving it!

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. Kindly take time to watch our official DJI Tutorials for your reference. Thank you and fly safe always.

2018-10-4
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hi,

Personally, after the initial OTG setup, airplane mode or not doesn't seem to make any differences, at least with an Android tablet.
2018-10-4
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-10-4 05:38
Hi,

Personally, after the initial OTG setup, airplane mode or not doesn't seem to make any differences, at least with an Android tablet.

Yeah most of us do it to help the phone devote more processing to just the ap, and of course to prevent notifications from getting in the way.....
And let us not forget the people that have everything under the sun running at the same time as the ap and wonder why they have issues.
2018-10-4
Use props
joeyjenkins12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28609 ft
United States

Got my OTG cable today actually and it has been working fine in airplane mode
2018-10-4
Use props
djiuser_DM7YZmMkRAd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
Poland

Always airplane mode and wifi and  bluetooth  off
2018-10-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I don't bother with flight mode.
Since I am flying almost only with my tablet and since the map-box ist (in my eyes) bs, compared to here maps with full country downloads, so only online you will have a real map/sat-view (mapbox is not good in sat pictures, but better as no sat pictures ;-), I switch on my phones hotspot to connect my tablet to the Internet.
Or, sometimes, I have a Sim in the tablet, and use mobil data direct that way.
With cable, there is (imho) not much to worry about.

Anyway: How can someone share on social media the flight live, if in flight mode AND without wifi?
Not that i ever would do such thing, but the app is created with this option. So ... !
2018-10-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_DM7YZmMkRAd4 Posted at 2018-10-5 06:37
Always airplane mode and wifi and  bluetooth  off

I think, with cable, even the bluetooth is not a worrying aspect, any longer.
In my experience, that was just a threat for the low power wifi connection between the RC and the device.
With cable no irritation.
2018-10-5
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

You should turn off everything not needed to fly.
Why you say?
i) Its always nice to get calls on your phone while struggling with your Sparky in ATTI mode and heavy winds :-)
ii) Mobile data and phone communication work with high power transients (up to 2 watts!) even when not actively used. Since you have your R/C directly above the phone, you can imagine what it does to the sensitive receivers in the R/C. Do you remember that rattling noise you hear when you have your phone near your computer or stereo and a call or SMS is about to come in?
iii) If you use an OTG cable, turn off Wifi and Bluetooth, since these work in the same frequency range. The power levels are much lower, but since the frequencies are adjascent, it can clog up the receiver circuits and make them temporarily less sensitive.
iv) to prevent any unnecessary waste of CPU and memory on your phone.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-10-6
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
United States

Thanks I use a tablet and will turn everything off and I do use the OTG cable
2018-10-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

tallackn Posted at 2018-10-4 01:29
You should not put it in airplane mode.  Your GPS accuracy will be impacted.  Simply forget any wireless network you are on (so you are not joined to any wifi) and turn off your bluetooth.  That will work just fine.

I think you're going to need some resource information to back up that claim.  There is NO affect on GPS when using Airplane Mode with iPhone 7, iPads Mini 2,3,4, or iPod Touch 6th Gen.  Source documentation for those products is available on the Apple website.

However, if you have device specific information, please list the device and source.  Thank you.
2018-10-7
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes.  I only use the OTG when flying a Litchi mission, but using Airplane Mode is essential.  Even if you "forget" known WiFi, if you are flying in a "busy" area (neighborhoods with many offerings), an "open" wifi could connect unexpectedly unless you have Airplane Mode active.
2018-10-7
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-7 05:28
Yes.  I only use the OTG when flying a Litchi mission, but using Airplane Mode is essential.  Even if you "forget" known WiFi, if you are flying in a "busy" area (neighborhoods with many offerings), an "open" wifi could connect unexpectedly unless you have Airplane Mode active.

Thanks for the info
2018-10-8
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

OTG and airplane mode for me...  never tried it any other way.  iOS here.
2018-10-8
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-10-8 13:13
OTG and airplane mode for me...  never tried it any other way.  iOS here.

I agree It's the only way I fly now
2018-10-8
Use props
tallackn
lvl.1
New Zealand

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-7 05:24
I think you're going to need some resource information to back up that claim.  There is NO affect on GPS when using Airplane Mode with iPhone 7, iPads Mini 2,3,4, or iPod Touch 6th Gen.  Source documentation for those products is available on the Apple website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

In there you will see where it references Wi-Fi Positioning system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_positioning_system
2018-10-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tallackn Posted at 2018-10-8 23:40

Thanks for the links.  I DID spend some time reading through the WiKi information.  I was unable to find a link to using the Airplane Mode and how it would cause the GPS to diminish in some way.  At best it describes the complexity of the process necessary to get and keep a strong signal, which, I will support is an understanding that few Spark flyers possess !!  
I'll stick with personal experience and the anecdotal observations of other flyers (like those here), that using Airplane mode works.  It is WAY better -in crowded signal areas- than keeping  your WiFi trying to connect with any other open channels.  That guarantees you'll lose connection!  
Again, hanks for the links, none-the-less.
2018-10-9
Use props
Jack Sparky
New
Flight distance : 15889 ft
United States

Hello, I have a Lenovo Tab 4 10 I just got about a month ago and its been just fine with the OTG cable. I tried flying again this morning and the tablet would not connect via OTG cable it hooked up on the wifi and scared the crap out of me because I was over water at the time about 350 feet away. I did bring it back in and tried a few things but it would not hook up via the OTG cable. I always have my cable plugged into the controller at all times so I am not unplugging and plugging it back in to many times. I did a test on my Samsung 9S plys phone and the OTG cable works just fine no matter when I plug it in or I leave it plugged in the phone. Always hooks up to the controller with the OTG cable. I have sense took my tablet back to factory settings and reloaded everything back DJI go 4 app, Airmap, etc. The tablet did hook up via OTG BUT it only did it once. When the window came up to allow this cable to hook up to the DJI go 4 app I hit always. Still nothing. Not sure what had happened as I did not upgrade anything, no updates to the software on the tablet or the spark/controller.
2018-10-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>

tallackn Posted at 2018-10-8 23:40

Found this today.   From iOS 8.3 on, GPS receivers stay ON during Airplane Mode.

https://www.macobserver.com/analysis/ios-airplane-mode-gps-nfc/

Includes references to Apple documentation
2018-10-10
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
United States

I also use the do Not Disturb with a schedule for when I am flying. No phone calls or messages during that time. Don't know if it helps or not only I have not lost connection yet while flying.  
2018-10-11
Use props
tallackn
lvl.1
New Zealand

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-10 06:20
Found this today.   From iOS 8.3 on, GPS receivers stay ON during Airplane Mode.

https://www.macobserver.com/analysis/ios-airplane-mode-gps-nfc/

It would be interesting to have DJI provide guidelines.  I am sure their engineers are much more qualified than we are to provide answers for us.

I suspect that the A-GPS and wireless positioning are just something that helps fast startup of GPS (helps use the wifi SSID's it hears nearby, and the celltower IDs to pinpoint your location so that it knows what GPS sats it should have over the horizon) but once your GPS is locked on all nice and tight I am not sure having the wifi or cell network on so that it can get those SSIDs will help with GPS accuracy at all.

That being said, I know most of the time I fly I am well away from populated areas, so I very much doubt there are any SSIDs broadcasting nearby that would match any kind of wireless positioning database, and I'm sure there would not be enough cell towers covering the location to help with triangulation.

I wonder if the DJI stores its last GPS location in NVRAM to help with fast lock of GPS (which will help if you are in the same general location as last time you used it).  Additionally, I wonder if the iOS and Android platforms do the same thing.

So, how about it DJI.  Does being in airplane mode, thus losing A-GPS and wireless positioning, harm the GPS accuracy of the drone?
2018-10-16
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tallackn Posted at 2018-10-16 02:33
It would be interesting to have DJI provide guidelines.  I am sure their engineers are much more qualified than we are to provide answers for us.

I suspect that the A-GPS and wireless positioning are just something that helps fast startup of GPS (helps use the wifi SSID's it hears nearby, and the celltower IDs to pinpoint your location so that it knows what GPS sats it should have over the horizon) but once your GPS is locked on all nice and tight I am not sure having the wifi or cell network on so that it can get those SSIDs will help with GPS accuracy at all.

I appreciate your thoughtful replies.  However I think we've 'hijacked' the Original Poster's question.

I would suggest you create your own Post/Thread with -that- specific request and pose your specific understanding of the operations of GPS -Airplane Mode or not.

As to the OP... I've used the OTG with WiFi off and with WiFi ON in the Airplane Mode.  Both work fine and as such -to save fiddling- I simply leave Airplane Mode off with or without OTG.  
2018-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules