FAA Reauthorization Bill 2018
1097 14 2018-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft

This bill already passed the US House Of Representatives by an epic margin. I doubt that the entire 1100+ page bill was even read.
Part 336 is to be repealed.
Looks like Congress will follow suit.
I'll need to pass a test and attach an FAA ID tracker to my Tiny Whoop before I can legally fly it around my own back yard.
Ebay will be flooded with used drones.
Flocks of Amazon and Domino's delivery drones will be buzzing low over our towns and cities.
Consider this hobby to be dead.
Thanks, FAA .... For siding with these lobbying money grabbers.

2018-10-3
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

My P2V died last week and I was looking at a new quad. Glad I found out about this BS before wasting my time and money. FAA motto we arent happy until you arent happy.
2018-10-4
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

I wonder if the law applies to drones purchased before the law is passed?
2018-10-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-4 14:29

I think it will
2018-10-4
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

The law applies solely to the operator.  
2018-10-4
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

Yes. As of now there are no exceptions. I see this as a feel good law. It will only effect us while having no effect on imbeciles and those hellbent on doing harm. Its the death of the hobby.
2018-10-4
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

sunny1994 Posted at 2018-10-4 17:08
Yes. As of now there are no exceptions. I see this as a feel good law. It will only effect us while having no effect on imbeciles and those hellbent on doing harm. Its the death of the hobby.

i had a hunch that something was about to happen when the GO app started telling me that my default Wifi password was too weak.

There obviously was NO representation by pro-hobby organizations at these hearings. Lets assume the lobbyists with purely commercial interests will feel real good... all the way to the bank.  
2018-10-4
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

Betamace Posted at 2018-10-4 19:48
i had a hunch that something was about to happen when the GO app started telling me that my default Wifi password was too weak.

There obviously was NO representation by pro-hobby organizations at these hearings. Lets assume the parties with purely commercial interests will feel real good... all the way to the bank.

Agree 100%
2018-10-5
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Betamace Posted at 2018-10-4 19:48

There obviously was NO representation by pro-hobby organizations at these hearings. Lets assume the parties with purely commercial interests will feel real good... all the way to the bank.

What does the wifi password have to do with anything?
2018-10-5
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-5 13:40
What does the wifi password have to do with anything?

When multiple flyers operating P3 Standards become restricted to flying in small  designated flying areas, strong and unique wifi passwords will reduce possible interference between closely adjacent operators and their equipment. Yes, having your wifi connection intentially broken is possible because the P3S RC's Wifi SSID and is visible and is continually broadcast as long as the RC is powered on. The password is the only remaining block and if left default and common knowledge, it's value as security becomes absolutely zero.  In the case of the P3 Standard that uses WiFi instead of a  hardwired connection between the flight app and the RC, only a strong WiFi password may impede a hacker from breaking into your device, apps, files and destroying your flying experience.
My opinion: It's conceivable that big buck commercial interests groups are able to persuade the FAA to effect restrictions on recreational flyers in order to reserve airspace for the exclusive use by their clientele.

As if the FAA did not aleady have a full plate. -Rant over.

It's time to write your representatives in Congress.   

2018-10-5
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Betamace Posted at 2018-10-5 19:06
When multiple flyers operating P3 Standards become restricted to flying in small  designated flying areas, strong and unique wifi passwords will reduce possible interference between closely adjacent operators and their equipment. Yes, having your wifi connection intentially broken is possible because the P3S RC's Wifi SSID and is visible and is continually broadcast as long as the RC is powered on. The password is the only remaining block and if left default and common knowledge, it's value as security becomes absolutely zero.  In the case of the P3 Standard that uses WiFi instead of a  hardwired connection between the flight app and the RC, only a strong WiFi password may impede a hacker from breaking into your device, apps, files and destroying your flying experience.
My opinion: It's conceivable that big buck commercial interests groups are able to persuade the FAA to effect restrictions on recreational flyers in order to reserve airspace for the exclusive use by their clientele.

I doubt the FAA will have the budget to police millions of hobby drone pilots.  They will probably focus on idiots who do stupid stuff.
2018-10-6
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Go here to send a NO message to your federal government representatives    https://www.oneclickpolitics.com/widget/oneclick/4701  This is prepared and supported by sUAS News an online publication about drones and commercial unmanned systems
2018-10-6
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-6 04:28
I doubt the FAA will have the budget to police millions of hobby drone pilots.  They will probably focus on idiots who do stupid stuff.

It doesn't. And it does not have the time. That's when local law enforcement and courts gets stuck with the dirty work. The FAA are just pen pushers anyway.   
2018-10-6
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

United States

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-6 04:28
I doubt the FAA will have the budget to police millions of hobby drone pilots.  They will probably focus on idiots who do stupid stuff.

When idiots do stupid stuff its us who pay the price. Plus as Betamace said money talks.
2018-10-7
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4

I never heard about this bill before. Whats the whole deal with it?
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules