Mavic 2 and Goggles RE, do they require pagoda antenna?
5434 14 2018-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UNsyncED
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

Does anyone know if a pagoda antenna is required when using the Mavic 2 and Goggles RE, to increase range and resolution?

Thanks in advance.
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us.  DJI Goggles RE is compatible with an OcuSync video transmission module and a high-performance camera module, which work together to transmit the digital video signal from up to 7 km away with latency as low as 50 ms,1 in addition to an analog signal. So using an unsupported antenna will not guarantee the increase or range with the transmission. Hope this helps. Thank you.
2018-10-4
Use props
ABI Photo
lvl.2

I wish this was true..... Range is terrible. 700m is the furtherest I can manage with my googles. Without I have flown over 5km.
2018-10-4
Use props
Rfern
lvl.4
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-4 04:21
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us.  DJI Goggles RE is compatible with an OcuSync video transmission module and a high-performance camera module, which work together to transmit the digital video signal from up to 7 km away with latency as low as 50 ms,1 in addition to an analog signal. So using an unsupported antenna will not guarantee the increase or range with the transmission. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Then what will because they suck right now!!!
2018-10-30
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the pagoda antenna on Goggles RE only work for 5.8GHz analog signals?
2018-10-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJIJAKOB Posted at 2018-10-30 12:56
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the pagoda antenna on Goggles RE only work for 5.8GHz analog signals?

That is correct.
2018-10-31
Use props
JohnnyMac41
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5607 ft
  • >>>
United States

So why are some using the pagoda antenna while setting the goggles for 2.4 only?

Is that a complete waste of time? Do they help at ALL if one sets them up for 2.4 only to try to increase range with the RE Goggles and a M2Z?
2019-1-6
Use props
UNsyncED
Second Officer
Australia

JohnnyMac41 Posted at 1-6 14:45
So why are some using the pagoda antenna while setting the goggles for 2.4 only?

Is that a complete waste of time? Do they help at ALL if one sets them up for 2.4 only to try to increase range with the RE Goggles and a M2Z?

Sorry, who is setting their transmission to 2.4Ghz?

Annoyingly the M2 and Goggles RE don’t work correctly together, so people are attempting anything to get them to work together by trialling  the pagoda antenna. :-(
2019-1-6
Use props
JohnnyMac41
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5607 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ‘be seen where some are trying to take it off “auto” and specify 2.4 with the pagoda antenna...
2019-1-7
Use props
UNsyncED
Second Officer
Australia

JohnnyMac41 Posted at 1-7 05:12
I ‘be seen where some are trying to take it off “auto” and specify 2.4 with the pagoda antenna...

You are correct, we were attempting to find a work around, unfortunately, even with the 2.4, the range is limited.

There is no need for an antenna.
2019-1-7
Use props
fansb504438f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4784872 ft
  • >>>
United States

KInd of an old thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I have spent all weekend experimenting with a new Mavic 2 Pro and the new DJI R/E Goggles.  Initially, I was very impressed at the range/speed/battlife of the M2P without any goggles.  I even saw a range of over 20,000' with three bars on both HD & controller.   However, including the R/E Goggles threw a wrench into the test.  With them, the video feed was choppy past 6000'.  With the Pagoda antenna, I could reach around 9000' before the video feed fizzled out.  With no external antenna, my video feed range was well under 2000'.  Additionally, the drone range was barely 12,000' whereas I was seeing up that 20,000' range before the googles were used.  Finally, the bottom side controls such as camera up/down were disabled with the goggles turned on.

I am comparing all this above to my old Mavic Pro with the white DJI goggles.  I have seen over 17,000' wearing the white DJI goggles with never a video disconnection.   Sure, the overall range is 3000' less, but I almost prefer the original Mavic for several reasons to include:

Ability to keep on the camera bubble.
Ability to temporarily override the RTH mode
No need for an external antennal on the goggles.
Slower descent even in SPORT mode.
2019-2-24
Use props
UNsyncED
Second Officer
Australia

fansb504438f Posted at 2-24 20:36
KInd of an old thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I have spent all weekend experimenting with a new Mavic 2 Pro and the new DJI R/E Goggles.  Initially, I was very impressed at the range/speed/battlife of the M2P without any goggles.  I even saw a range of over 20,000' with three bars on both HD & controller.   However, including the R/E Goggles threw a wrench into the test.  With them, the video feed was choppy past 6000'.  With the Pagoda antenna, I could reach around 9000' before the video feed fizzled out.  With no external antenna, my video feed range was well under 2000'.  Additionally, the drone range was barely 12,000' whereas I was seeing up that 20,000' range before the googles were used.  Finally, the bottom side controls such as camera up/down were disabled with the goggles turned on.

I am comparing all this above to my old Mavic Pro with the white DJI goggles.  I have seen over 17,000' wearing the white DJI goggles with never a video disconnection.   Sure, the overall range is 3000' less, but I almost prefer the original Mavic for several reasons to include:

It is a sad state of affairs. Please see the following Thread.
2019-2-27
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3151388 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have the M2P and Goggles RE. I HAD all the terrible range issues as everyone else when first purchased last fall. For some reason, (firmware upgrade?) the range is perfect now. My goggles RE can receive the M2P signal up to 5-8 km depending on conditions. Sometimes I forget to install the antenna and it doesn’t  seem to make a difference. They still are working the same. Which is now perfectly fine. How did mine get fixed?? I changed nothing. I went out to try a range test and set my iPad to airplane mode and installed the antenna and the goggles RE maintained the signal as well as the iPad itself normally does. I assumed it was because I had used airplane mode on the iPad or it was the antenna but none of those are necessary now.  The only thing I can guess is it was a firmware update on the goggles.  Make sure you plug your goggles to your computer and run the Assistant 2 program to update then. Also, of course, your Mavic 2 and controller and all batteries.
2019-7-1
Use props
Picofly
lvl.4
Finland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-31 03:21
The pagoda antenna is for analog reception.  The digital antenna are built-in.  You do not need the pagoda if connecting to a DJI aircraft.

Padoga antenna is required for 5.8GHz transmission / reception - both analog and digital. It is not tuned for 2.4GHz band so there is no sense to use it with 2.4GHz frequencies. There is an internal 2.4GHz antenna in the goggles. If it doesn't perform well it is better to try some other 2.4GHz antenna instead of 5.8GHz pagoda.

I use my Goggles RE with an Ocusync Air Unit in digital mode. One needs use a pagoda antenna  for 5.8GHz digital transmission between the air unit and the goggles (or some other 5.8GHz antenna which polarization matches with the transmitter antenna).
2019-7-1
Use props
fansb6e9824b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-4 04:21

the pagoda antenna is an antenna supplied together with the dj Goggles RE, the question is whether the antenna that supplied with Dji Goggoles RE improves or not the reception of the signal with a Mavic 2 or is not necessary?
2019-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules