Hope this FW fixes the MA

It wasn’t broken!
2018-10-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Voted better than 0.400, but not the best yet.
Improvements:
Distance from 500m to 1.2 km
Video lag, gone
Video freeze, gone
Yaw movement, gone
RC won,t link to aircraft, gone
Continuous RTH activation, gone.

Problems:
Gimbal re centre continuously, in flight and while taking multiple images while hovering. (Thus making AEB, HDR, Burst mode and Hyperlapse  useless, as the gimbal do not retain position.) Biggest problem.
RC disconnected completely once, RTH, did not get signal till after landing
Gimbal overload error once (never had that before) No filters etc on gimbal.
Extra payload detected, error, also only once in 6 batteries.
Option to set ss with custom and wheel, very, very slow, to not usable. (for me.) Does not change at times, no matter how you roll that wheel.

Improvement, but still a few things to work out. That gimbal....................eishhh
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-4 01:29
Voted better than 0.400, but not the best yet.
Improvements:
Distance from 500m to 1.2 km

Try a firmware refresh and a restore of factory defaults, that 'might' resolve the gimbal problem if there had been any unknown issues or corruptions with the update installation. I would also try a full set of calibrations to ensure there are no problems there.

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2, latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.

2) IMU (level surface, make sure it's had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature).  

3) Gimbal (just after IMU).

4) RC sticks (with aircraft off).

5) And compass (in an open area (not over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference). Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation. Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc) will generate a 'compass error', this does not mean compass needs recalibration. just move the aircraft away from source of interference.

2018-10-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It was for some!
2018-10-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 02:01
Try a firmware refresh and a restore of factory defaults, that 'might' resolve the gimbal problem if there had been any unknown issues or corruptions with the update installation. I would also try a full set of calibrations to ensure there are no problems there.

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2, latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.

Thank you. I already did all that. Waiting for the rain to clear up, then I will take her up and see. I am holding my thumbs so hard, they will fall off.
If the gimbal is sorted, I would be 100% happy with the latest firmware.
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-4 02:15
Thank you. I already did all that. Waiting for the rain to clear up, then I will take her up and see. I am holding my thumbs so hard, they will fall off.
If the gimbal is sorted, I would be 100% happy with the latest firmware.

Fingers crossed.

There was a similar problem on the P4 with previous firmware that caused the camera and gimbal to reset (blank screen for ten seconds or so), and that only happened when recording in 4k. Turned out to be firmware which was fixed with the next release.
2018-10-4
Use props
Henrijs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4517064 ft
Mexico

I had one disconection on distance 800 meters!!! Never ever had this before. It was already on RHT. Conection restored afted 11 seconds. MA with all latest updates.
2018-10-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 02:30
Fingers crossed.

There was a similar problem on the P4 with previous firmware that caused the camera and gimbal to reset (blank screen for ten seconds or so), and that only happened when recording in 4k. Turned out to be firmware which was fixed with the next release.

I hope I don,t have to wait for the next firmware. It took ages for this one...
2018-10-4
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4298 ft

United States

I need more time to know...
2018-10-4
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft
United States

How do I refresh firmware?
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-4 05:44
How do I refresh firmware?

Have a look at the tutorial video. The option to refresh and restore factory defaults are available on the same screen as update.

Assistant 2 for PC or Mac can be downloaded from Here
2018-10-4
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I saw it have better improvement with 0400, but the remaining in my opinion are:
1. Successfully calibrate compass does not show up like 0300 and 4.2.14 when did so
2. Flight range become worse for me from 0400 (from 1.2km down to 600m) and with 0500 it reach about 850m before disconnect
3. Seems propellers make a little more pich noise (the same one compared with 0400) for me.
My city before rain with latest firmware
https://www.skypixel.com/pilot/photos/share/2d7a8521-636a-43f7-97f9-e9448d9c7107
2018-10-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-10-4 06:29
I saw it have better improvement with 0400, but the remaining in my opinion are:
1. Successfully calibrate compass does not show up like 0300 and 4.2.14 when did so
2. Flight range become worse for me from 0400 (from 1.2km down to 600m) and with 0500 it reach about 850m before disconnect

Good poll.  Here's my .02 on the newest firmware update.  

2018-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-10-4 07:24
Good poll.  Here's my .02 on the newest firmware update.  

https://youtu.be/5sQJYB1cptA

Yes you can roll back, so really updating if it causes a problem , then there’s no great difficulty in rolling back. Advising not to update may not be the best advice.
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

The poll shows 23 in favour and two not in favour of new firmware, can so many be wrong ?

Edit:- And the 'if it aint broken' would surely mean that nothing would ever develop and move forward, get fixes or new functionality.

2018-10-4
Use props
djiuser_iCby8PEY0bYZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26175 ft

United States

I have done all updates as available and found no issues. My flights are planned to minimize crash possibility as I practice skill. No crashes with the air, my first drone.
2018-10-4
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 07:56
The poll shows 23 in favour and two not in favour of new firmware, can so many be wrong ?

Edit:- And the 'if it aint broken' would surely mean that nothing would ever develop and move forward, get fixes or new functionality.

Totally agree with you. There are plenty on here and another forum that have installed .0500 and have had absolutely no problems, including me!
2018-10-4
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
United States

Is it better to update with assist 2 or wirelessly...
2018-10-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 02:01

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2, latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.

Try a firmware refresh and a restore of factory defaults, that 'might' resolve the gimbal problem if there had been any unknown issues or corruptions with the update installation.

Nothing wrong with suggested try.  What is wrong is - DJI needs to address issues of their Firmware Installation process / program.  

Process / Program should be verifying whether Firmware was installed properly or Not.  In other words, Pilot (customer) would know immediately whether to try Firwmare Installation process over.  Thus, ending the Refresh troubleshooting or obligatory Refresh after Firmware installation.

Prior to owning a DJI product, I never ran into Firmware update / install that failed without providing a message as such.

2018-10-4
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-4 08:58

You should use assistant 2 on pc for the most stable, remember recalibrate every sensor,camera and remote controller. Safe flights
2018-10-4
Use props
M4VERICK8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 500528 ft
Brazil

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-4 08:58

I did with assist 2, and then deleted my djigo4 app and reinstalled it. I did not have any issue after 4 batteries.
2018-10-4
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the replies, assist 2 it is.  Will also delete and reinstall djigo4
2018-10-4
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 06:01
Have a look at the tutorial video. The option to refresh and restore factory defaults are available on the same screen as update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPmWvxeSp7E

which one is for the MAC?
2018-10-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 07:56

Updates should be made on a case-by-case basis.  Not everyone requires a firmware update.  I've been flying with 0.300 with 0 issues.  But that's me....

Has anyone confirmed you can do a full rollback from vs 0.0500 all the way back to 0.0300 yet?  No one should be rolling back to 0.0400.  Know your quad and you'll need to make that decision based upon you own experiences.  That's all I'm saying.....Oh, and if it's not broken...don't fix it!  
2018-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Presumably the .DMG file under the Apple symbol.
2018-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-4 08:50
Totally agree with you. There are plenty on here and another forum that have installed .0500 and have had absolutely no problems, including me!

To me it looks like YTubers advising others NOT to update although manufacturers clearly recommend updating, as long as I have owned dji drones I have updated and have had very few problems, once I rolled back but a fix followed soon after.
I think the mood of those around here so far does not even come close to what RGMG is recommending , the mere fact he hasn’t bothered to check if .500 could be rolled back looks like his interest is more to do with clicks than a genuine interest in those looking for advice on the matter.
2018-10-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-4 10:28
To me it looks like YTubers advising others NOT to update although manufacturers clearly recommend updating, as long as I have owned dji drones I have updated and have had very few problems, once I rolled back but a fix followed soon after.
I think the mood of those around here so far does not even come close to what RGMG is recommending , the mere fact he hasn’t bothered to check if .500 could be rolled back looks like his interest is more to do with clicks than a genuine interest in those looking for advice on the matter.

To be clear. I was able to confirm with others that the DJI Assistant App only shows 0.0400 and 0.0500 as available Firmware versions.  So no option to go back to 0.0300 (which is stable).  

Why would you update your firmware if your not having any problems?  I'm a network engineer by trade and deal with software/firmware updates all the time.  Every time you update you run the risk of creating more issues.  I would simply ask DJI to allow users to be able to roll-back to ANY previous firmware version to avoid more problems.  This would save everyone a lot of headaches.  No one should be rolling back to 0.0400.  

Your entitled to your opinion.  We're not in agreement here but that's fine.  Your comments about getting subscribers isn't appreciated.  If you watched the video I clearly communicated everything I found and left it up to the individual to decide what was right for them.  
2018-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-10-4 10:38
To be clear. I was able to confirm with others that the DJI Assistant App only shows 0.0400 and 0.0500 as available Firmware versions.  So no option to go back to 0.0300 (which is stable).  

Why would you update your firmware if your not having any problems?  I'm a network engineer by trade and deal with software/firmware updates all the time.  Every time you update you run the risk of creating more issues.  I would simply ask DJI to allow users to be able to roll-back to ANY previous firmware version to avoid more problems.  This would save everyone a lot of headaches.  No one should be rolling back to 0.0400.  

I think first if you look back and you can in this forum, you will clearly read many with latency problems , distance problems, compass problems all being reported on .300 FW, in fact the biggest thread complaining about video drop outs was started during .300 FW, it is also very clear that many on .400 and by many I mean the vast majority were not having problems, I’m taking it that because you are not on .100 that using your logic of it not being broke don’t fix it, you would have been having problems on both .100 and .200, otherwise you would have been still on them.
Updating FW is not only about fixing problems, there are other benefits . And some of these contain safety issues, so if it ain’t broke and you can make it better then why recommend against.

You say NOBODY should roll back to .400, and you still recommend they stay on .400 and don’t update.
2018-10-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-4 10:54
I think first if you look back and you can in this forum, you will clearly read many with latency problems , distance problems, compass problems all being reported on .300 FW, in fact the biggest thread complaining about video drop outs was started during .300 FW, it is also very clear that many on .400 and by many I mean the vast majority were not having problems, I’m taking it that because you are not on .100 that using your logic of it not being broke don’t fix it, you would have been having problems on both .100 and .200, otherwise you would have been still on them.
Updating FW is not only about fixing problems, there are other benefits . And some of these contain safety issues, so if it ain’t broke and you can make it better then why recommend against.

Your over simplifying what I said in my video.  In short, I put myself out there to help everyone.  It's that simple.  If you don't agree with me that's fine.  I provide a ton of information that you just can't do in a forum chat.  Tons of questions/answers get resolved in the comments of those videos and many (maybe not you) find the information extremely useful.   Not everyone has the ability or time to read through the forums and often a lot of information gets lost in the pages of the threads.

My work here is done for now....have a great day!    
2018-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-10-4 11:00
Your over simplifying what I said in my video.  In short, I put myself out there to help everyone.  It's that simple.  If you don't agree with me that's fine.  I provide a ton of information that you just can't do in a forum chat.  Tons of questions/answers get resolved in the comments of those videos and many (maybe not you) find the information extremely useful.   Not everyone has the ability or time to read through the forums and often a lot of information gets lost in the pages of the threads.

My work here is done for now....have a great day!

Well that may be so, and I commend you on the help you give others and the time you put into it, but posting on this thread would or should have shown a very different picture than you yourself were portraying, and it kinda looked like you choose to ignore it.
You would also know that on forums like this one and platforms like you tube, you will get much more attention by being able to say something is wrong , rather than giving the full perspective on what is actually being said, we are all attracted by bad news it sells much quicker than good news, and that’s all I’m trying to say. You may not agree with this, but I’m reading a different story than you are.
Fly Safe.
2018-10-4
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 10:22
Presumably the .DMG file under the Apple symbol.

I thought that was the one, and I downloaded it but it will not open on my MAC.
2018-10-4
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

NitemareTrainer Posted at 2018-10-4 11:50
I thought that was the one, and I downloaded it but it will not open on my MAC.

I get this message when I try to open it.  Is there a way around it?

“DJI+Assistant+2+1.2.4.pkg” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
2018-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NitemareTrainer Posted at 2018-10-4 12:51

“DJI+Assistant+2+1.2.4.pkg” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

You need to allow unidentified apps on your Mac .
2018-10-4
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

https://youtu.be/5sQJYB1cptA

I updated and gone through 8 batteries without an issue so far. May be too early for a clean bill of health but so far so good. I had some very minor issues with gimbal shake on .04 which I only noticed in post so I'll have to have a close look at the footage. I'll report back in a few days after running through more batteries.
2018-10-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-10-4 09:56
Updates should be made on a case-by-case basis.  Not everyone requires a firmware update.  I've been flying with 0.300 with 0 issues.  But that's me....

Has anyone confirmed you can do a full rollback from vs 0.0500 all the way back to 0.0300 yet?  No one should be rolling back to 0.0400.  Know your quad and you'll need to make that decision based upon you own experiences.  That's all I'm saying.....Oh, and if it's not broken...don't fix it!

Once you are at the 0500 version, you can downgrade to 0400, but you can't go lower than that.  This is what I see in Assistant 2:

2018-10-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

NitemareTrainer Posted at 2018-10-4 12:51

You can do a temporary over-ride, using a Cntl-Click, which will pop-open a window asking what to do.  Then selecting OS-X Installer program.  Resulting in OS-X asking for Admin password to go ahead and run program to install it.
2018-10-4
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

You need a "no difference option"
2018-10-5
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did a test flight here...with no issues at all.
2018-10-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules